Choice of knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

Anonymous

Hi Guys and girls, i wonder if someone could give me the benefit of their experience as far as knife choice goes. I am seriously consedering purchasing the " ERA Nordic W12". Has anyone used this knife or could anyone remark on its suitability?

I would be grateful for any feedback

Many thanks !!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I disagree with a lot of the above

EKA nordic 11 is the closest knife to the one you stated

good strong knife, stainless blade. It will take a very good edge but wont keep it as well as some posh steels on the other hand it's easy to sharpen which is more important to me. A very good bushcraft knife choice IMO

An alternintive for about the same moeny is the fallkniven F1, stronger but thick, "better steel" but the plastic handle lackss character and some people find it a bit thin (handle only IMO the blade is a little thick)

leon-1

The General said:
What points in particular do you disagree with Andy?

Not sure mate, but there are a few,

1.A full tang if used in cold climates might leave it open to sticking to your hand if not using contact gloves.

2. You can do some quite heavy work with a Scandi Grind, it may not cut as cleanly as a full flat grind, but has some very good points.

3. Micarta is still as far as I am concerned a plastic as are the handles on the frosts mora and they do not impede the performance of the knife.

4. Blade shape is horses for courses, despite the fact that most of us prefer one thing to another.

5. Looking after a blade, you do not always have access to oils and the liquid in some fats will quite readily eat into a carbon steel blade.

The best that you can get is one that you can look after and know something about, not a custom knife that you have never used before in a super steel.

It is also something that you can use and not worry about damaging because it came from her and cost so much.

I have all sorts, but I cannot advise you on what you feel comfortable with, get out there and have a look is the only advise that is good.

If it feels good in the hand and it works for you then that is a good knife :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Anyone noticed that the person who asked the question isn't here anymore? :rolleyes:

There are enough threads involving people here now asking about knife choice without resurrecting long dead threads....you hearing this theorsmeister?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
The General said:
What points in particular do you disagree with Andy?

leon 1 coverd most of it. If you go by what the poster above me said

The f1 has a plastic handle so you shouldn't go near it
It doesn't have a full tang
stainless not as tough -maybe but it's still tough enough

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
C_Claycomb said:
....you hearing this theorsmeister?

Oh and I must ask, did you copy that out of a book Theorsmeister? I'm sure I've read that verbatum before?? ?? ?? Oh and I strongly disagree about the need for a secondry bevel...all my knifes (except folders) have single bevels and I prefer this (just my choice).

Cheers,

Bam. :D

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
C_Claycomb said:
Anyone noticed that the person who asked the question isn't here anymore? :rolleyes:

There are enough threads involving people here now asking about knife choice without resurrecting long dead threads....you hearing this theorsmeister?
11-09-2003, 14:59 - blimey!
Leon I agree with what you said about the full tang, I made this mistake myself and regretted it :eek:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
We are spoiled. The first 'knives' were handaxes, apple seed shaped equivelants to todays multi tools and SAKs. Then somebody gathered some pine pitch, tar, a bit of sinew and hafted the blade onto a bone or wooden handle. Tang? what tang? a cheap, roller pinned, hollow handled survival knife has a better mating. Then somebody began smelting the first of our wonder steels, except it wasn't even steel, but copper. Next we see Greeks and Trojans bending and breaking bronze swords with enough frequency to put the Ithaca knifeworks into receivership. I'd continue this British Museum lecture, but security is walking briskly toward me and I've got to run for the embassy. I think I've made my point. Humanity somehow managed to slaughter game, each other, build shelters and destroy them with knifes a modern user would be faint to even try. We have today a selection in blades unthought of just a few decades ago. And what happens? We run around like wild eyed sects of Christianity damning each other for minutae of faith such as choil size, lanyard hole placement and handle material. Everybody needs to buy a plain vanilla carbon kitchen knife and go bushcrafting with it for a week. I am going back to my fire now. Any knife experts better tiptoe lightly around it. I just might poke you in the buttocks with my $8 Green River Daedly ;)

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Thats cool guys, I just dislike it when someone says they disagree with a point of view or views and don't qualify the comment. Its very difficult when several points are made for an observer who does not know the subject (hence the reason for asking) to decide what points were being disagreed with and which were valid.

Sorry if I came over as perhaps a little snooty about this!

T

theorsmeister

leon-1 said:
Not sure mate, but there are a few,

1.A full tang if used in cold climates might leave it open to sticking to your hand if not using contact gloves.

2. You can do some quite heavy work with a Scandi Grind, it may not cut as cleanly as a full flat grind, but has some very good points.

3. Micarta is still as far as I am concerned a plastic as are the handles on the frosts mora and they do not impede the performance of the knife.

4. Blade shape is horses for courses, despite the fact that most of us prefer one thing to another.

5. Looking after a blade, you do not always have access to oils and the liquid in some fats will quite readily eat into a carbon steel blade.

The best that you can get is one that you can look after and know something about, not a custom knife that you have never used before in a super steel.

It is also something that you can use and not worry about damaging because it came from her and cost so much.

I have all sorts, but I cannot advise you on what you feel comfortable with, get out there and have a look is the only advise that is good.

If it feels good in the hand and it works for you then that is a good knife :)

not quite so sure why i started making that generalised statement, what good it would have done i can only imagine.

I was just giving a few personal preferences

M

michael

THEORSMEISTER, When you say full tang, do you mean full length or length and width.
I have always thought that full length was important, I have never broken a full length tang, but then again I have never had a semi length tang. How much does the length matter, I do not think the width matters too much, because obviously the NORDIC knives are like that, is this true? I agree with LEON, I always like to pinch a freinds and test it out before buying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE