Cheap, reliable runaround car?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Derri

May 21, 2013
Lincoln - UK
Hi We have two Fords one a little fiesta, not very nippy but does what it says on the tin, its a diesel. I have a focus estate, automatic, and I will be gutted when its gone however, will be getting another one but the petrol version as do about 45 to the gallon, mine is a 52 plate and has been used purely as a work horse has now done 160K miles and still going strong, I can highly recommend them and you can pick one up for about 5K.

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
Any recommendations? Thinking of a common secondhand car like fiesta or Astra. Which is economical, patrol or diesel these days?
Small or up to focus sized. Low emissions / road tax too. Hate paying that so cheaper it is the better.

Its for a second car for swmbo or me for short commute. We have an estate for main family use.

Thanks for any ideas you can offer.

Smart-fortwo_coupe_2005_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

We are averaging 41 mpg in the 3 years we've owned our Smart, fits a weeks worth of shopping easily in the back, is VERY easy to park, cruises reasonably comfortably at 70 mph, insurance and road tax is less than a night out on the town and gear change apart it's fun to drive.

Only downside is the gear change, if you let it drive in Automatic mode it's frustratingly slow to change gear.

If you want to save even more money then buy the diesel version, you can expect 60mpg to 70mpg out of the diesel version.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Smart-fortwo_coupe_2005_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

We are averaging 41 mpg in the 3 years we've owned our Smart, fits a weeks worth of shopping easily in the back, is VERY easy to park, cruises reasonably comfortably at 70 mph, insurance and road tax is less than a night out on the town and gear change apart it's fun to drive.

Only downside is the gear change, if you let it drive in Automatic mode it's frustratingly slow to change gear.

If you want to save even more money then buy the diesel version, you can expect 60mpg to 70mpg out of the diesel version.
Death trap on wheels! Rather you than me when it comes to a crunch.

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
Death trap on wheels! Rather you than me when it comes to a crunch.

Common misconception from people that have no idea about RTA's, they see a small car and automatically think it's unsafe, fortunately it's complete rubbish.

The car has a 4* NCAP rating.
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/smart_fortwo_2007/303.aspx

As a first responder i have seen with my own 2 eyes how well these cars have stood up against other cars in RTA's and can say they stand up as good as some and better than most.

Crashing is dangerous no matter what vehicle you are in, but if it came to it i would sooner be in the Smart during a RTA than a MK3 Golf, and i would absolutely certainly rather be in a Smart than a 1960's GMC camper van.

Around 3 years and just under 100k miles and both the wife and i are still alive so hardly a death trap.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Owned both Astra and megane. Both good cars eached a point where repairs would lead to secondary repairs. At the moment within a 5 mile radius, i can choose between a 53plate Rav4, 4 55 focuses and a 56 Scenic? Megane. Got dropped off today, in my friends 7 door version of the scenic. Sometimes you throw the dice and go with gut feeling. I want a Astra, yet i know that build quality is shoddy, with common quality control faults. The Rav4 looks best, the scenis would be the long term option.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Common misconception from people that have no idea about RTA's, they see a small car and automatically think it's unsafe, fortunately it's complete rubbish.

The car has a 4* NCAP rating.
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/smart_fortwo_2007/303.aspx

As a first responder i have seen with my own 2 eyes how well these cars have stood up against other cars in RTA's and can say they stand up as good as some and better than most.

Crashing is dangerous no matter what vehicle you are in, but if it came to it i would sooner be in the Smart during a RTA than a MK3 Golf, and i would absolutely certainly rather be in a Smart than a 1960's GMC camper van.

Around 3 years and just under 100k miles and both the wife and i are still alive so hardly a death trap.
I stand corrected. I really didn't think it would be a four star rating.
I don't believe mileage is any indication of car safety tho, unless we're talking about the chance of an accident.

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
Ford fiesta tdci.

That was our conclusion when we did the "oh bugger, we really need a car again" conversation earlier in the year.

Although we * could* have spent way more than what we did, my partner and I did the maths (yes, really) and the sweet spot for us worked out at a low milage 06 reg diesel Fiesta with one previous owner for just over £4k.

60mpg, low insurance and negligible road tax. Cheap tyres, cheap generic parts and simple to get serviced.

It's surprisingly nice to drive, too - I've just got back from teaching a little green woodworking in Birmingham and did the M40 back to London at 70mph in absolute comfort. Recommended.

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
41mpg is a bit poor, our 52 reg xtrail does mid 40's. It can fit 5 adults in comfort and has a big boot.

Comparing MPG figures without any information on where the car is driven, how it is driven, how the MPG figures are reached and what sample base the figures are taken from is pretty pointless.

Our Smart spends 80% of it's life in and around our capital city, the other 20% is the odd slog up or down the motorway.

The figures are calculated from 3 years of logging every drop of fuel that has been added and every mile the car has been driven.

A good source of "real world" MPG averages is fuelly.com
I've found that any sample base below 100 fill up's can be misleading, the X-trail does not get into the 40's on average
http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/x-trail

The largest database is the 2005 model with 452 fill up's to draw data from, with these 452 data points spread over 15 cars they only average 28.8MPG
http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/x-trail/2005

Not 1 car in that sample selection gets anywhere near 45MPG
The best is 38MPG from a Nissan X-Trail 2.2dCi SVE 2005
http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/x-trail/2005

If on the other hand you look at the Smart for2 database you can see that the absolute worst MPG average is the 2013 model at 45.1MPG, with many knocking on the door of 50MPG+

So as i say your not comparing apples with apples.

I stand corrected. I really didn't think it would be a four star rating.
I don't believe mileage is any indication of car safety tho, unless we're talking about the chance of an accident.

I agree but my point was that if these cars were such a "death trap" it would be unlikely that my Wife and i would have survived these 3 years.

Car crashes are a messy business, there are that many variables it's impossible for any car to be totally safe in any situation, even if your driving a tank if you come to a stop within a few cm at any speed over 30mph your going to be lucky not to be eating hospital food that night.

It's worth thinking about human Physcology and how we as people asses risks and how we react to them.
As an example imagine the next time your driving you have a sword sticking out the dash pointing towards you, your mind will asses the risk is higher and take the necessary precautions without you knowing.

Anyone that's older than 40 will remember cars that were more often than not rear wheel drive, had not traction control and no ABS, amazingly many of us lived through these times, we did this because would knew we were 100% responsible for bringing our car to a stop so we left enough gap to do that safely.

Many modern drivers not only trust in modern electronic safety system they rely on them 100%

When you get your van rebuilt and on the road, you will drive it differently than if you jumped in say a new Volvo.
I drive all my cars differently as they all serve a certain purpose and they all have varying levels of risk attached if i fluff up controlling them.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Smarts make be feel sick driving them - never had that before from any other car. The roadster looks like fun though

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I needed to grab a cheap little run about recently. (Looooong story)

I ended up buying a little Jimny O2 off of eBay. Its only a 1.3 so its not shocking on fuel but its certainly not 50 MPG. Obviously its 4WD (and a surprisingly good one) which is handy for me out in the green bosom of the mother country. Being convertible its nice in the sunshine and also serves a purpose at night out with a lamp for vermin. tax is £220 a year. Beats hell out of a Defender.

This is the second cheapy Suzuki I have owned. I recently sold on my previous 17 year old Vitara that had served 5 years with me doing much the same. Honestly all that time it had cost me next to nothing to maintain. They are really bulletproof mechanically but are prone to rust so spend time picking up a tidy one that has spent a long time in the garage waiting for summer. Then buy a pot of Hammerite and lift the carpets. If you have the time and space Waxoil the underside.

Proper job as they say in these parts.

Winston

Jun 5, 2010
Preston
I bought a 03 fiesta recently after a change in job. 1.4 diesel zetec Getting 54mpg on average. 50 quid to fill the tank. has front and rear heated windows and air con too whioh was a bonus in the snow.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE