Charcoal Burner Fungi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve come across the Charcoal Burner or Russula cyanoxantha in one of my books and wondered if anyone knows how it got its` name. Does it have any practical firelighting uses or does the name just come from its` smokey blue cap colouring. The guide describes them as common so if they`re any good I might harvest some next year, I expect I`ve probably missed them now.

Done a quick search but nobody has discussed this point.

Rich

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
They grow round my area a lot - tase ok if you can get to them before the critters - or the kids get to them.
I always assumed they were common fare for the charcoal burners & bodgers that lived in the woods & would harvest them as they found them but I have no certain knowledge.

Cheers
Nick

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
It doesn't get us a lot further forward, but my edibles book (Collins Need to Know Mushroom Hunting by Patrick Harding) has this to say: "[Russula cyanoxantha] known as the Peacock Russule or Rainbow Russule in Victorian times, but now usually referred to as the Charcoal Burner, a translation of Charbonnier, the French name for the species."

[EDIT]Now that I'm searching for Charbonnier, I have found this: "CHARBONNIER (Russula cyanoxantha): The cap appears dusted with charcoal."

Geoff

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
It doesn't get us a lot further forward, but my edibles book (Collins Need to Know Mushroom Hunting by Patrick Harding) has this to say: "[Russula cyanoxantha] known as the Peacock Russule or Rainbow Russule in Victorian times, but now usually referred to as the Charcoal Burner, a translation of Charbonnier, the French name for the species."

[EDIT]Now that I'm searching for Charbonnier, I have found this: "CHARBONNIER (Russula cyanoxantha): The cap appears dusted with charcoal."

Geoff

That sounds very plausable. not sure Id go along with the charcoal dusting part though

Cheers
Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE