Char Cloth - How to make it

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Made my first char-cloth today! :lmao:
I used a old .22 pellet tin, used a dremel to drill a hole in the top. I used a bit of old white rag found in the cuboard.
I used the the cooker hob on full power and soon had smoke coming out the hole fast, so I then used a 1p coin to cover the hole and took the tin off the heat. It worked a treat! :cool: The char-cloth works great, I had numerous embers glowing from my first strike. :D

It did make a lot of smoke. I had the extrator fan going and door open. Aired the house and smell was gone in about 15-20mins.

Photos:
Char-cloth inside tin
Char-cloth outside tin

Thanks for the guide :You_Rock_

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
:You_Rock_ great post. answered a lot of my questions about char cloth, now you must excuse me. The pantry beckons. Must find a suitable tin and the weekends activities are sorted.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i agree great post mate, i have never made char cloth before, i am going to make some soon using my trangia and some old rags we have in the garage
leon

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Thanks for that. So as you probably guessed its a activity ideally done outside or with the mrs or mother out the house! :lmao: I also found that with my .22 pellet tin I can make char-cloth merely over a single candle, however it took a lot longer that the hob on full power method. I might try two candles under it similtaneously I think that will give good results. Also I have had a good root through my sock draws and routed out the pairs with holes. So I have four socks and other material ready to test and see. If my socks turn to char-cloth well im in for a winner :D I'll have to much of the stuff and will have to post it about! lol.

With the white-rag I first used, I still have some of that material and when it was char-cloth'd I was supprised to find it was clean to handle :confused: I took for granted it would be dirty to handle ie. give me black fingers. However it dosent and I had rub and still have no marks on my fingers. :) Dont like the smell of the stuck however, lol, minor drawback. I keep my char-cloth in a nice small plastic container .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE