CCF mat and or UQ

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
There is a thread regarding using a bivvy bag in a hammock which raised an issue for me but so as not to hijack the thread I started this one.

Do you use a CCF mat as well as an Under quilt?

From my 2nd night or so in a hammock I have always used a CCF mat. I would say buy a CCF mat before buying 'binners even!
I have got an under quilt and in late autumn / early spring it is most welcome. Thing is, I use it along with my CCF mat or not at all, never on its own.
Have I got this wrong??? I really do not like a cold rear end ( too polite to say bottom) and the CCF get warm almost before I have adjusted my pillow, don't see just an under quilt doing that.

Bye all means I can try it and see but starting a new thread is a bit warmer!!!
Comments please folk.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
As i said in the other thread. I always used a mat in my hammocks when insulation was needed.....just couldn't get past the idea that using an UQ was carrying two sleeping bags.....a down UQ and down top quilt could be had for a very reasonable combined weight (on my list for this winter)
Not too long ago i got a DD UQ and i much prefer it comfort wise. To me hammocks are most comfortable In the tropics when i dont need insulation underneath
And with the UQ the hammock feels just as comfy

I'v not had the UQ in any cold weather yet so i cant say how well it really works for me. it does take a little while to warm up that pocket of trapped air
Honestly though, i cant see anyone being cold with one in above freezing temps

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use quilts all through the year, but I do have choices from summer weights right through to deep winter. Those are top quilts and underquilts so I'm not really doubling up on weight.

As long as you match the quilt rating for the temperature and it's snugged up against the bottom of the hammock, then there's no need for a mat too. I know of folk in the US who've used CCF and a UQ in -40*C, that makes sense to me (although it did take some convincing) but I've never felt the need over here.

When it's too warm for quilts I'll happily use a 3/4 CCF pad on it's own, it doesn't really work in my Blackbird but fine in my other open hammocks.

I used the British Army Roll mat (CCF) it kept me warm and comfy.

I did however get a few cold spots mainly on my sides and shoulders, but nothing major.

The wife got me a Snugpack Underquilt, It's the dogs B@l@cks it wasn't as warm as I thought it would be until I tried it with no mat in my hammock (I have the DD Frontline Hammock, which as a compartment for the mat so it doesn't move).

IMHO The Snugpack UQ by itself keeps the wind off, so you don't get that slight chill, when ever the wind blows, It traps a lot of heat, when I cinch it up tight.
I can loosen it to keep the wind off without trapping heat. The UQ really is a league above the mat, it is way more comfortable, and warm, it conforms to your body in a way that the CCF mat can't.

I have also recently invested in the DD Top Quilt (I have only used it a few times so I cant really review / Rate it) But I can say it is way easier to use in a hammock than my sleeping bag. my feet did get a bit cold as there is still a hole when you cinch the bottom up.

I borrowed my friends Snugpack TQ which has a solid footbox it was perfect for me I'd have it any day (but my friend wanted it back).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE