Canadian Canoe Wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
I have looked in many places on the net, and was wondering if anyone knows of any groups or infdividuals wanting to offload a reasonable open top canadian Canoe for a very reasonable price.

I have tried ebay, but they seem expensive for the standard. Scuffs and grazes accepted,

Cheers Folks

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Well, I've got a spare Coleman knocking around here I could sell....(only kidding John :) ....you'll get it back.....)

Like Neiltoo I looked and looked for a secondhand canoe for six months, and eventually gave up and bought new.

Often second hand prices are close to the new price. They are so rare it's difficult to get what you want.

One of the dealers (maybe getoutcanoeing) was offering a green slightly used Mad River explorer 15 for £745 - maybe gone now.

If you are thinking of buying a Novacraft then be aware that the importer has told me the prices are shortly to rise. Most of the dealers are still quoting the 2005 prices, but for how long?

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
A good alternative to a Canadian canoe is a canvas kayak:
http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~acsrrrm/kayak/stories/stories.html

They are pretty easy and cheap to make.
These boats are much easier to handle in exposed windy conditions than Canadians.

Alternatively look up the German version of Ebay (www.ebay.de) and search for "faltboot". You can pick up a folding kayak, such as the RZ85, made in East Germany, pretty cheap. As a rough guide postage should be about double that given for within Germany.

I would, however, swap mine for a Canadian any day!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Have you tried canoe clubs? I'm only guessing but if they're anything like most other hobbies/ pursuits members may well buy new canoes and sell on their old ones?

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I resorted to the 2nd hand market.

If fact I'm picking my canoe up on Sunday. It's a Colman Ram X, not the greatest boat but almost indestructable.

A Sea Scouts group were selling off their boats to replace them with new stock.

At £150 for a 15 foot boat I'm not complaining.

It'll make a nice change from a kayak.

BTW I'll probably be selling my Perception Arcadia Expedition (touring kayak with rear bulkhead and deck hatch - enough room for a decent light weight camping rig) if anyones interested?

Rgds

Moduser

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I understand these "stitch and glue" canoes are very easy to make. I've never tried one as I build cedar strip or birchbark canoes when I want to build a canoe, but the stitch and glue canoes are said to be quite easy for the layman to build.

I've been considering building a wood canvas canoe, but the set up is another notch up on the difficulty level.

PG

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Ugh....I HATE canoes. What exactly is a "Canadian Canoe" I've been living here all my life, and far as I know, a canoe is a canoe is a canoe. :D Or am I dead wrong?

Either way I look at it, they scare me. Too unstable!

(I much prefer humping through the bush.)

Adam

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
A Canadian Canoe, is just a term used in the UK for a canoe.

The terms Canadian and open are used to differentiate from Kayak for the ignorant :) as when you say canoe in UK most people think kayak (never figured out why but they do).

Moduser

From wikipedia

"Confusingly, the sport of canoeing, organised at the international level by the International Canoe Federation, uses the word canoe to cover both canoes as defined here, and kayaks (see below for a brief description of the differences between a kayak and a canoe). In fact, the sport of canoe polo is exclusively played in kayaks. This confusing use of canoe to generically cover both canoes and kayaks is not so common in North American usage, but is common in Britain, Australia and presumably many parts of the world, both in sporting jargon and in colloquial speech. In these circumstances, the canoe as defined here is sometimes referred to as an open, Canadian, or Indian canoe, though these terms have their own ambiguities.

A 'canoe' in this ambiguous sense is a paddled vessel in which the user faces the direction of travel."

So apparently its all the fault of the International Canoe Federation !! :27:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE