can i re-handle a knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ian_glover

Nov 29, 2010
Derbyshire
hey all.
i have a knife im using for my bushcraft but i dont like the handle thats on it, and its very slippy when i have wet/muddy hands, id like to re-handle it using paracord wrap. the current handle has 2 rivets in it, can i just drill the top of the rivet out to remove the old handles ready for the paracord wrap.

thanks in advance

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
hey all.
i have a knife im using for my bushcraft but i dont like the handle thats on it, and its very slippy when i have wet/muddy hands, id like to re-handle it using paracord wrap. the current handle has 2 rivets in it, can i just drill the top of the rivet out to remove the old handles ready for the paracord wrap.

thanks in advance

its possible but i wouldnt reccomend paracord handles.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hello Ian, what kind of knife is it? Do you know if it is full tang, or does it have a stick tang or even a small tang (like a mora), I think this will dictate your options when it comes to rehandling it.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I tried a paracord handle on a knife and it was uncomfortable and rubbed the skin too much over and extended use, also it got dirty pretty quickly and proved difficult to clean, this was an issue when doing food prep with it. So I guess it'll be personal choice, it did look ok, and I did have about 2-3 metres of string avaialble as a resource if needed, but now I put cord round the sheath instead.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Paracord handles my look nice and for light use I'm sure they're fine but for a hard use knife you want a handle that's relatively smooth in the hand so it doesn't cause blisters and discomfort.

ian_glover

Nov 29, 2010
Derbyshire
thanks for all the information everyone. i didnt think it would cause blisters or be difficult to clean. ill leave the original handle on and maybe change it when i get a mora knife.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
What's the original handle made of? You might be able to reshape it. If it's just a matter of grip you could score it with a knife and then rough sand it to give it a bit more texture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE