camping advice this weekend.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
is it too cold for my hennassey?

i have seen the hennassey website on cold weather camping, but i don't seem to have the right kit, am i likely to suffer this weekend with cold, i have no experience with my hennassey would it be better for me to wait untill warmer weather? :?:

my possible kit options are this:
Hennasey hammock/tarp.
MOD basha.
MOD rollmat.
3/4 therm-a-rest.
TNF cat's mieow sleeping bag, (3 season) down to -7.

i also have these but ideally i don't want to take them:
full length copy therm-a-rest with a slow puncture.
a real full length therm-a-rest 1" thick (very bulky! dosen't fold).
Radar bivibag(breathable but not as good as Goretex ).
U.S. army poncho and liner.
Inner and outer Buffallo sleeping system(too heavy/bulky).

(for the sake of argument i don't mind wearing in clothing in my sleeping bag)

Which are my best kit options without buying anything this weekend? :pack:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I used mine in the Mourne's in November in the snow. It wasn't below zero but it was Cold outside.

I had a cheap 3 season bag, Foam mat, M65 jacket and liner and my cloths on and I slept the whole night through.

I would suggest you bring the poncho liner to but under the thermaret or between you and your sleeping bag (I used the jacket and liner) to stop any cold spots if you move off the mat and another trick I find as my bum gets cold is to but your gloves/woolly hat under it as extra insulation.

It's up to you really but you could be cold either way. I'd take the risk after you check the forcast.

Just my thought
James

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I think you should be OK with the Hennessey, the 3/4 length Thermarest (the full elngth one makes getting in and out trickier because it covers the entrance/exit) and the TNF bag.

Do you are a rule feel that you run hot (feel hot in your bag in a tent/basha) or run cold (generally feel cold)?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I did Friday night in a hammock, it was about 0 degrees. I used a Reindeer skin for insulation and I was in an army issue bag. It was toasty :biggthump
That wasn't in a hennesy but more along the lines of a Thai hammock. The thing to look out for if you're using the thermarest in a hennesy is that you don't loose it from under you, you do need that insulation. If you have it you should be fine :biggthump

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think you'll be ok, and survive the night :wink: when you use the 3/4 TaR, your TNF sleeping bag and the Hennessey.

Last summer I used my Hennessey for the first time (Woodlore course in East Sussex), and I found it was a bit chilly without a TaR (full length won't work - 'cause you'll block the entrance / exit slit thingy).
At first I used my 3 season Ajungilak Kompakt sleeping bag as a duvet (didn't brought my TaR) ... :roll: :?: Wasn't a good idea though - but hey, I was young and unexperienced :eek:): and I've learnt from it!
It was lots better when I got in to my sleepingbag - lots of fun when you try to get in while you are already in the hammock :rolmao: Was swinging like mad :biggthump :yikes:
Later on I found out the correct way to get in the bag & hammock.

I was happy to use the hammock in summer because I found that it was a bit of a psychological barrier which I had to cross :wink: - and doing it in relative good conditions made it lots easier (before that I always used a tent :?: ).
Found out you don't have to be afraid of rain / getting wet ... The tarp IS waterproof / will keep you dry :biggthump - That was one of my biggest concerns ...

Only one minor on it: you can't take all your gear with you in the hammock, so make sure you pack EVERYTHING waterproof that you'll keep outside ...
OK - at the moment it's only cold outside, and I think it'll keep dry, so that's not really an issue.

Hope this helps / my 2p,

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I slept out in my Hennessy just before Christmas and it was -7. I was using a Nanok Endurance 0 and -10 nested with an ultralight thermarest (full lenth) between them. I was sleeping in long johns and a "T" shirt and was toasty warm. I think I would have still been plenty warm with just the -10 bag and the thermarest. I am sure I read somewhere that you should put the thermarest inside your sleeping bag to stop it sliding out from under you.

I am also plannig on being out this weekend and will be using the same set up as last time so you can tell I was comfortable enough.

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
I found out what does and doesn't work for me by trying it. I think you have to as well. You may have to spend a few cold nights to do that.

Your most vulnerable area will be whatever you're lying on (your back or side) and whatever touches the hammock bottom without insulation (like your shoulder, elbow, or knee). So devote most of your weight and space to padding or underquilting.

Take sufficient gear so you can go to ground. Worst case, you can always use the hammock as a sort of bivy bag.

I've had the best luck (for the expense, weight, and volume) with 3/8-inch closed cell foam padding. I cut a six-foot pad in half, to get two pads, both 2 x 3 feet. (I round the corners off using a pot lid as a template.) These can go under you side-by-side for full hammock-bottom coverage, or in a T-shape.

Using the poncho liner as a quilt will help, as you can jam extra material between you and the hammock, say at your knees. You could also make a couple of small rectangles of foam padding to put where you want through the night.

Record the temperature and what gear you use, and eventually you'll have a complete list of which pieces of your gear to take for different temperature ranges.

Bear

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
arctic hobo said:
:yikes: Both bags at once?

Yep but I wasn't cold and since I was travelling by canoe the wieght was not an issue.

If you think that was over the score I am not going to tell you that I had another spare sleeping bag, a hooped bivi bag, a Basha and a Poncho in reserve as well.

Cold weather, bring it on!!

leon-1

RAPPLEBY2000, you should be fine with the top list, I have been using a Thai Hammock for a long time all year round with a therm-a-rest and a softie10, the only thing that I use extra is a bivvy bag as well if it really throws it down (only because of the capilliary action of the sashes). Have a good weekend :)

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I use an underquilt for my hennessy. It is expensive, but so much more comfortable than struggling with a pad inside the hammock: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products List_files/Under Quilt.htm

I also have the undercover: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Weather Shield-v2.htm which is a sheet of material 78" by 48" with a draw cord at each narrow end. you hang it under the hammock and then cinch the cords down to give a snug fit with the hammock.
You could easily make one of these out of any fabric you like. In warmer weather, I will just slide a foam pad between the undercover and the hammock. That way I won't have to wrestle to keep the pad under me when i sleep.
Another option is to use an overlap pad, which is basically a foam pad cut in half and then overlapped, providing double thickness and greater width (I feel the cold at my shoulders the most when using a pad). http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

appologies for overly long winded post!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Giancarlo said:
What is the correct way to get into the bag / hammock Johan?
With some pics of you doing it ;)

:eek:): Haven't got any pictures of it :?:
The correct way ... well, the method that works best for me, is to drap the sleepingbag over your shoulders and back, tuck a bit of bag under your armpits and your feet sticking out of the bag ... you know - by using the 2-way zipper (I know ... I really got a posh one :nana: :wink: ) - I think this way is also described at the Hennessey page.

Now the tricky part to get into the hammock without falling over :roll: :rolmao: - just use the instructions Hennessey gives at the internetsite.
Ain't that easy as it looks, but I've learnt it to do it relatively fast - because it was raining :shock:

Once into the hammock, wiggle a bit (you'll swing like mad - although you are using the shockcord thingies to make it stabile it, but that's cool :wink: ) to get the bag nice and comfortable around you, zip the zippers and ... good night :biggthump

Another way is to put the sleeping bag into the hammock (spread out), with the TaR on it. Make sure you put the lower part of the bag (where your feet are) to one side of the hammock.
Get into the hammock following the instructions - but place your behind well on to the TaR - I slipped of once :?:
Get in to your bag, zip up and good night!

Only thing I can't get used to is, when I don't use the TaR, is that my feet end up at either side of the slit half way the night ... Does anyone know why??? I can't say it's very comfortable that way :?: Is it maybe due to the way of me not laying correctly (diagonal) in the hammock??

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
wentworth said:
appologies for overly long winded post!

No worries mate. that wasn't long winded (you should hear some of the other old bores on here :lol: ) That was all good practical advice. :biggthump
It's always good to hear how other people sort their sleeping arrangements out. As I've never used a hammock, I hadn't thought about the heat loss from underneath before.

Cheers for that,

Martin

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Giancarlo said:
Cheers Johan, i've not got a Hennessey but i see what you're on about.
I usually get in my Pod pretty easily with a bag.. not tried it with my new Nanok dual zipper, should be even easier!

Their site is quite good actually, even has setup videos (couldn't find the bit you mentioned about "getting in with a bag" though)

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/setup.htm

You're welcome Giancarlo!

Just had a look at their site ... and they've changed / updated it!! :yikes: (looks good) - and, just like you I couldn't find the "getting in with a bag" bit ... :roll:
I'm pretty sure I read it on their site, or was Sgt. Rock's site ... ??
Ohwell, you got the idea, and that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Let me know when you've tried your Pod with your Nanok dual zipper bag :wink:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
came back yesterday, conditions were very windy, rain, and even a little snow.

i Used my Hennassey (expedition A-sym), TNF -7 sleeping bag, a 3/4 Therm-a-rest.

i was fine, getting into my sleeping bag was really arqward i forgot the zip is the wrong side for the hammock(R hand)!

i found as some mentioned there would be cold spots i found them to be around the shoulders, and sides of my lower torso, also i found my feet getting cold, the only insulation i had was to put the foot end of the sleeping bag in my Buffalo jacket, whcih helpped alot.

during the worst of the nights weather the hammock was moving so much i felt as though someone was pushing it! and i stayed bone dry though in the worst part of the storm i felt a tiny amount of water spray frm under the tarp but it was not enough to worry me, and the conditions were pretty severe!

so i am not a Hennassey hammock Virgin anymore, i have to give it the thumbs up as a good shelter.

the only problem seemed to be putting my boots on in the morning! but i guess that just takes practice. :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE