Camera settings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I'm really enjoying the videos by this Guy

His cinematography is brilliant and I'm wandering if anyone would know what settings he would be using. All his films are beautifully shot. I've messaged him already but he doesn't seem to reply. English not being his first language is think. If anyone would know how to achieve this kind of atmosphere where filming I would appreciate it if you can let me know how to do it. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I dont know what settings he has but here's a general guide all pro filmmakers use on dslr cameras , first most important custom white blanace, then set the aperture at the lowest , for most stock lenses that is f3,5 this means the lens is open to the widest to catch as much light as possible , then set the the shutter speed which as a general rule is twice the fps you are filming in so if you are filming at 1080p 30fps set shutter speed on 60 , then is ISO and you set that at minimum which is 100 , this are the perfect settings on a normal day , then you adjust that with the amount of light there is if it's to dark increase the iso but the more you increase the quality will drop after like 600-800 iso you can see that , if its too sunny close the aperture a little or increase the shutter speed
Im not a pro but this is how I film and how the pros taught me , and when you see a difference in between what you filmed in auto setting and compare to this manual setting the quality goes like from 1 to 100 , its insane
Hope this helps

garethw

Settler
Hi there
Yes it's a nice clip very atmospheric... As a filmmaker myself I can perhaps tell you how I would shoot such a clip...

Due to lack of camera movement, he is almost certainly shooting himself... locked off on a tripod. This is a very labour intensive way to shoot, I've done it many times and to get the number and variety of shots he has, you end up repeating tasks several times to get it right.
He may have 2 cameras which would make it easier but would still require lots of set ups, and several takes.

The look he has for me is most probably on a full frame DSLR.. Canon 5Dlll or Sony A7S (or variant), but could be done on a crop sensor too, 80D or 7Dii... If he is hiking alone he probably won't want to bring a larger video camera like a Sony FS5/7 or Canon C100/200.
He has very nice shallow depth of field, and many shots are telephoto..so most likely shot on an f2.8 or f4 lens... 70-200 perhaps). I use a 24-105 and a 70-200 for most shoots.

I can't see any focus hunting or racking, so he probably shoots by pre-focusing on his spot. AF, even if it nails it would be seen to adjust its focus point... Only the most recent Canon bodies (80d, 7D ii, 5d IV, Sony A7iii etc) offer decent AF in any case..

He has very nice colour grading, so I would shoot in a Log or flat profile and grade in post production .. I use a plug in called Filmconvert.
The Canon shoots 1080p but the Sony's can do 4k, but his Youtube Channel only posts 1080..
Some very nice videos.

cheers
Gareth

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
As a none-photographer what does 'shallow depth of field' mean? What's 'F2......'? What is telephoto? Haha. So I guess it certainly can't be done on my gopro or my phone camera? Even in post production??
Hi there
Yes it's a nice clip very atmospheric... As a filmmaker myself I can perhaps tell you how I would shoot such a clip...

Due to lack of camera movement, he is almost certainly shooting himself... locked off on a tripod. This is a very labour intensive way to shoot, I've done it many times and to get the number and variety of shots he has, you end up repeating tasks several times to get it right.
He may have 2 cameras which would make it easier but would still require lots of set ups, and several takes.

The look he has for me is most probably on a full frame DSLR.. Canon 5Dlll or Sony A7S (or variant), but could be done on a crop sensor too, 80D or 7Dii... If he is hiking alone he probably won't want to bring a larger video camera like a Sony FS5/7 or Canon C100/200.
He has very nice shallow depth of field, and many shots are telephoto..so most likely shot on an f2.8 or f4 lens... 70-200 perhaps). I use a 24-105 and a 70-200 for most shoots.

I can't see any focus hunting or racking, so he probably shoots by pre-focusing on his spot. AF, even if it nails it would be seen to adjust its focus point... Only the most recent Canon bodies (80d, 7D ii, 5d IV, Sony A7iii etc) offer decent AF in any case..

He has very nice colour grading, so I would shoot in a Log or flat profile and grade in post production .. I use a plug in called Filmconvert.
The Canon shoots 1080p but the Sony's can do 4k, but his Youtube Channel only posts 1080..
Some very nice videos.

cheers
Gareth

garethw

Settler
As a none-photographer what does 'shallow depth of field' mean? What's 'F2......'? What is telephoto? Haha. So I guess it certainly can't be done on my gopro or my phone camera? Even in post production??

Yes it all gets pretty technical.. Sorry, but he did ask.

I could explain, if you got a day or two??? LOL

And sorry no you can't do any of this with a Gopro.. which are great action cameras, and great for getting unusual angles.. but that's about it.. I've never been very keen on the GoPro look and the quality you get from them.
Sorry phones are well good for phoning your mates.. the cameras they have are ok.. but it's kind of significant that both Samsung and Huawei were caught passing off DSLR shots as having been taken on a phone...

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

what does 'shallow depth of field' mean
Thats the effect of the tent and chimney being in focus and the background being blurred

What's 'F2.8
The fancy expensive stuff he uses to get the above

What is telephoto
What many people call zoom wrongly of course that and creates the effect of something small and distant looking large in shot when they are long way away. Think big lens wildlife/sports photographers use.

Sorry if this is at all patronising but it is a simplistic way putting this stuff but its why I asked what I did. He has fancy gear and uses it create effects that a smart phone will not. Gareths answer above is probably why he is not answering your emails.

There are courses in such things but as ever they are not and neither is the kit needed. This kind of course will only be useful with a lot of reading and practice first probably.

https://www.dslrphotographycourses.com/courses-and-workshops/dslr-video-course

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
what does 'shallow depth of field' mean
Thats the effect of the tent and chimney being in focus and the background being blurred

What's 'F2.8
The fancy expensive stuff he uses to get the above

What is telephoto
What many people call zoom wrongly of course that and creates the effect of something small and distant looking large in shot when they are long way away. Think big lens wildlife/sports photographers use.

Sorry if this is at all patronising but it is a simplistic way putting this stuff but its why I asked what I did. He has fancy gear and uses it create effects that a smart phone will not. Gareths answer above is probably why he is not answering your emails.

There are courses in such things but as ever they are not and neither is the kit needed. This kind of course will only be useful with a lot of reading and practice first probably.

https://www.dslrphotographycourses.com/courses-and-workshops/dslr-video-course
Perfect answer! Thank you! I didn't read it as patronising. I have no clue about photography!

Reactions: brancho

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE