Cairngorms fun, this time with pulks!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thursday 15[SUP]th[/SUP] December

Pete was running late after enduring the traffic up the A1, eventually landing at mine just after 7pm. We had a quick brew and then loaded my gear into Pete’s van, Cairngorms here we come.
Most of the journey passed in no time, we had some interesting driving in blizzards up the final leg of the A74, meaning we had to stick to the tracks which the HGV’s were ploughing. At roughly 2am we reached the car park at the Lin of Dee, too late to set off into the woods so we quickly got the hammocks up in the car park and got some shut eye until first light.

Friday 16[SUP]th[/SUP] December

After a dash back into Braemar to stock up on munchies we were back at the car park and getting our gear loaded into rucksacks and pulk bags. Being the first time out with the pulks neither of us really knew how to pack them, I loaded my usual gear into my rucksack and made use of the pulk to haul some luxuries (cider, lamb chops and extra clothes) and a better stove.
DSC03484P.jpg

DSC03486P.jpg

DSC03488P.jpg

We followed the track out of the car park and made our way through the woods, running out of snow after 10 minutes meant we had to unload and hand carry our kit until we reached more of the white stuff. As I didn’t have too much weight in mine I elected to drag it across the sand and gravel, Pete preferred to unload and do it the proper way.

DSC03492P.jpg

After the first encounter of no snow we were unsure if the pulk idea was a little premature, after the first woods the landscape opened up and our track was perfect, earlier snow fall had been flattened by a Landrover leaving us with a nice pair of compacted snow and ice rails to follow all the way up the valley to our camp.

DSC03490P.jpg

Reaching the bridge at Lui Water we could see there was plenty of snow down, even the river was starting to freeze over.

DSC03493P.jpg

DSC03495P.jpg

DSC03496P.jpg

Our camp is in the trees top left of piccy
DSC03494P.jpg

View from our campsite on Friday afternoon
DSC03499P.jpg

DSC03501P.jpg

DSC03509P.jpg

Saturday 17[SUP]th[/SUP] December

On Saturday morning we came up with a plan to explore further up the valley, taking just a few essentials we left the pulks and went for a wander in a winter wonderland.

DSC03515P.jpg

DSC03519P.jpg

DSC03520P.jpg

DSC03521P.jpg

Luibeg Bridge was like something you’d see on a Christmas card, fluffy meringue type snow with knee deep patches to negotiate

DSC03523P.jpg

DSC03524P.jpg

DSC03526P.jpg

DSC03527P.jpg

DSC03528P.jpg

DSC03530P.jpg

DSC03532P.jpg

DSC03533P.jpg

Heading back to the quiet and calm of camp

DSC03535P.jpg

DSC03536P.jpg

DSC03538P.jpg

DSC03540P.jpg

DSC03541P.jpg

DSC03508P.jpg

Saturday night was amazing, Pete had left some fuel in his van so we decided to take a night walk back down and grab some more supplies, that night I saw the best star lit sky I’ve ever seen. Being somewhere so dark and remote meant light pollution was virtually zero, a couple of times I found myself laid on my back in the snow just trying to take it all in.

Sunday 18[SUP]th[/SUP] December

Time to pack and go home :(

DSC03543P.jpg

DSC03545P.jpg

Back down the glen
DSC03547P.jpg

DSC03548P.jpg

Another great weekend Pete!

I’ll do a kit list soon

Last edited:

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Up here again Rich , you'll soon be a scot // great pics mate , i've walk those footsteps and choking to do it again ... the gorms are magical ....

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
With a bit of careful packing and a larger rucksack you'll be able to free youself from the restraint of the pulk.:)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A great weekend again indeed, cheers Rich :)

Brill piccies as usual mate, I was lax on them for this one.

DSCN0180.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0169.jpg

Hauling the pulks was top fun, can't wait to get up to do some more. Not this week though, a big thaw is due this week and the low snow will be gone. :(

My pulk is deader than a goth party now.:rolleyes: (big cracks in the front of it from hitting ice blocks)I tried to weld the cracks up which went OK until I tried to weld a sheet over the top and got it too hot-I now have a 6" hole in the front where it stuck to the hot spoon I was using to weld with. Ho hum.

I love this hauling gear thing, very addictive. Bring on the next :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice piccies mate, good to see I avoided getting snapped with the rabbit on ;)

Too bad about the pulk though, maybe the next one will be better behaved anyway :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice piccies mate, good to see I avoided getting snapped with the rabbit on ;)

Too bad about the pulk though, maybe the next one will be better behaved anyway :)

The Rabbit shots were all blurred-you win!

As for the pulk, Ive got a great marker now for how it should behave. My pulk needed an ASBO, yours would have won Crufts.

icon1.png

Looks like you guys had a great time. Maybe if I start planning now I might be sorted by December next year to go on a trip like this.​

You'll love it Res, start planning ;)

Great pics guys, love your camp spot.​

Twas a shame the previous occupier thought it a good toilet stop too. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE