Buy once/ last a lifetime / indestructible clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
I'm becoming more and more interested in quality over quantity,.

In terms of clothing, tough, overbuilt, workhorse clothes that last. Doesn't have to necessity be mega expensive, just built to last (think Carhaarrt work jacket

What are your suggestions for clothing that lasts ie if you had one set of clothes to last you, what would you pick? Im especially look for trouser and glove suggestions

Reactions: Minotaur and Sebc

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have said this before on a number of these threads, but I really rate the Rohan clothes. The trousers although light and classed as technical, are really robust and I have been wearing a rotation of 5 trousers for the last 12 years, and they are still looking like new.

I don't baby them, I wear them for everything, welding, gardening, walking, surveys and the office, as they still look so smart.

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
I have said this before on a number of these threads, but I really rate the Rohan clothes. The trousers although light and classed as technical, are really robust and I have been wearing a rotation of 5 trousers for the last 12 years, and they are still looking like new.

I don't baby them, I wear them for everything, welding, gardening, walking, surveys and the office, as they still look so smart.
Thanks for the tip. I had some decent 5.11 trouser that were great, but they are such a baggy 'american' type fit that they just aren't suitable for anything apart from knocking about in the woods

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I use Percussion beaters/hunting trousers for all my work in the woods. As well as being comfortable, they are robust, protect from thorns and nettles, and sensibly priced (from around £36).

I get mine from New Forest Clothing - but plenty of country-wear shops stock them.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got Rohan uplands I think they called them. They were described as softshell, technical, for when the going gets steep, etc. Articulated stitching at the knees which meant the knee was sewn together pre- bent and IME a little low when walking but right when climbing or scrambling. Tough fabric and they lasted quite some time until they wore out.

I replaced with the equivalent in their range about 3 years later after they'd worn out and it was terrible quality. Similar name as my original outlander but a new name. Similar marketing blurb but simply not as good. Poor quality stitching that would even get rejected at my company and we don't need stitching to be cosmetic too!

Rohan are a good brand but they are not as good as they used to be. Just another outsourcing design brand at times. TBH I found that my last Rohan buy was similar quality to Craghopper brand! YMMV.

I used to like Haglofs trousers but couldn't afford them. From a technical pov they used to be really good if a little towards Fjellraven prices. Now I suspect they're another brand that succumbed to brand and commercial pressures. I think there's many such examples. You really have to look at what article you are buying and decide on what's in front of you. Or buy online knowing you might return it after inspection.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
For trousers, have a look at Kuhl Kanvas. They're really robust and about £70 a pair. But they turn up on Vinted regularly for half that. Very tough, good for outdoor pursuits and you can wear them in the pub or to work, as they're kinda jeans cut. I've got four pairs of Kuhl trousers and they're very good quality.

For gloves, I've had a £10 (IRRC) pair of leather gardening gloves from QD that have lasted over two years and they're still strong. I've battered them.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Reactions: just_john

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
For trousers, have a look at Kuhl Kanvas. They're really robust and about £70 a pair. But they turn up on Vinted regularly for half that. Very tough, good for outdoor pursuits and you can wear them in the pub or to work, as they're kinda jeans cut. I've got four pairs of Kuhl trousers and they're very good quality.

For gloves, I've had a £10 (IRRC) pair of leather gardening gloves from QD that have lasted over two years and they're still strong. I've battered them.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
I just checked vinted and they had one pair available and they were mu size, so it must be fate. Thanks for the tip, I'll see how they go.

Reactions: Van-Wild

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
Definitely the toughest trousers you'll find.
I've got shorts from 2006 that are still going strong, and some trousers from 2007 that are barely broken in.
They look awesome, but I will be keeping an eye out for some preloved models as they are pushing the budget a tad at the moment.

Then again if they last fifteen years then that pretty cheap...... although I certainly can't fit in trousers I did fifteen years ago that's for sure!!!

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
@just_john I have some very hard wearing cotton trousers that I bought in a fit of madness, and never wore as they are to big for me. Kept them thinking I would fit into them at some point....kind of don't want that to happen. In new unused condition, will send you a picture.

Last edited:

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
@just_john I have some very hard wearing hard wearing cotton trousers that I bought in a fit of madness, and never wore as they are to big for me. Kept them thinking I would fit into them at some point....kind of don't want that to happen. In new unused condition, will send you a picture.
I've sourced some but I'd be in details on the off chance size and colour is ok, thanks

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We made a short video on this subject recently.

Carhartt chore coat is awesome in 12oz canvas but do look at second hand Barbour - especially 8oz sylkoil. Wool shirts by Pendleton (light) or Woolrich (heavy) or a Filson Mackinaw are all great.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
They look awesome, but I will be keeping an eye out for some preloved models as they are pushing the budget a tad at the moment.

Then again if they last fifteen years then that pretty cheap...... although I certainly can't fit in trousers I did fifteen years ago that's for sure!!!

I bought all mine when the £ was a lot stronger, and cactus would post your gear to avoid customs charges.

Their stuff really lasts. Subscribe to their emails, sometimes you get a bargain in the sale. They sell their shorts off at the end of NZ summy, just in time for ours!

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
We made a short video on this subject recently.

Carhartt chore coat is awesome in 12oz canvas but do look at second hand Barbour - especially 8oz sylkoil. Wool shirts by Pendleton (light) or Woolrich (heavy) or a Filson Mackinaw are all great.

Thanks I really enjoyed that, was a really professional looking video, I hate to think what sort of trainwreck mine would be if I did similar.

Reactions: British Red

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Thanks for the tip. I had some decent 5.11 trouser that were great, but they are such a baggy 'american' type fit that they just aren't suitable for anything apart from knocking about in the woods
As a man with muscular legs/glutes (but a narrow waist, so probably not a typical US shape), I struggle to find trousers that fit. I like the US fit of 5.11 trousers with their elasticated waists. I have various pairs of different models and wear them daily for work.

Reactions: Minotaur

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
In the same vein as your Carhartt jacket I love my Dickies canvas dungarees. Super tough & really comfortable even in hot weather. Also loads of pockets to stash essential items in.

Reactions: British Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wax jackets. Mine are over twenty years old and still fit to wear.
I recently repaired a friend's one and it was nearly thirty. The lining had totally given up and was shredded, but the shell was still good. We bought a fleece throw and I used that to make a new lining. Not rocket science, and the jacket is warmer now too. He's happy :)

North Face used to make trousers and shirts that were UV protective clothing for travellers......like a cheaper version of Rohan which used to be superb. Mine are now over twenty five years old, get brought out and used every summer/autumn and are still in perfect condition.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE