Bushcraft rugby style shirt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I'm a big rugby shirt wearer, partly coz I'm big :rolleyes: but I like the weight etc and as they are cotton they are ideal for the fire side.

I've seen a few people wearing them out and about and I think I saw Mr Mears wearing one the other day on the TV. I've had a bit of a hunt around but haven't found any likely candidates. Any thoughts?

P

If you want cheap and chearful you could always try the British Army Norwegean shirt. Looks somthing like a rugby shirt. A good, warm bit of kit as long as you don't get it wet. :)

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Something for Tony to consider adding to his inventory of Bushcraft UK apparel? :thinkerg:

Would look rather cool in green with site logo on left breast. :cool:

Mine will be a complementary XL please!

Cheers

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I've got a nice dark green one which I bought specially for bushcraft! I got it through a friend who has an account with PenCarrie who supply wholesalers and printers - I'll check the make when I get home, you should be able to get them elsewhere. It was less than £15 in XXXL ;)

Definately a good idea for the shop Tony!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Re the Norgee shirt
I've one made by Warm and Dry (are they still going?) thats 70% Merino Wool, 20% polyester and 10% nylon and that not bad when wet and I've not managed to burn any holes in it yet. Machine washable and machine dryable.

OK now I'm on the fat part of my cycle its a bit tight fitting but still very comfortable.

Somewhere I've gor a headover, a balaclava and wristlets made out of the same stuff, must digthem out.

At one point wasn't there marketed a "Swedish Army shirt", dead same as a norgee but all wool and with thumb hole/loops?

ATB

Tom

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Rugby shirts only come in Welsh colors, :lmao:

But i would be interested in a green one with BCUK badge on it, could even go as far as having your screen name across the back, be handy at meet ups :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
xairbourne said:
Rugby shirts only come in Welsh colors, :lmao:

But i would be interested in a green one with BCUK badge on it, could even go as far as having your screen name across the back, be handy at meet ups :)
Now that would be a handy way to get around the "Dual Identity" crisis that I find myself in at every moot so far!

Ogri the trog

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I hadn't meant rugby shirts in the traditional sense, I was referring to the collar and two or three button neck made from a denim style cotton rather than norgie shirts, which yes are fantastic and if they get wet it's like running around in a wet terry toweling towel.

All that said though there have been some fantastic ideas about BCUK rugby shirts so if Tony were to bring these out I'd defo get one and if there are kids sizes I'd probably get those as well! :D

Cheers.

P

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yes yes yes, I know that you get cold when they're wet because they're cotton and cotton (supposedly) kills but I was just being goofy for fun. I've got a sortof Norgi shirt at home here made from cotton, it's a wonderful shirt and I've never gotten it wet. Well, at least not yet!

Adam

tombear said:
Re the Norgee shirt
I've one made by Warm and Dry (are they still going?) thats 70% Merino Wool, 20% polyester and 10% nylon and that not bad when wet and I've not managed to burn any holes in it yet. Machine washable and machine dryable.

Now that sounds nice . I'm sorry to say I don't know of Warm and Dry, can anyone tell me if this shirt is still on the market?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Gareth H said:
Now that sounds nice . I'm sorry to say I don't know of Warm and Dry, can anyone tell me if this shirt is still on the market?

Somethng like this maybe?:
7222_men_green.jpg

material is stated to be:
60 % Merino wool
25 % Polyester
13 % Polyamide
2 % Elastane

Available in green, also comes in a thicker whole-length zipped version, with thumb-loops.

pibbleb said:
I hadn't meant rugby shirts in the traditional sense, I was referring to the collar and two or three button neck made from a denim style cotton rather than norgie shirts, which yes are fantastic and if they get wet it's like running around in a wet terry toweling towel.

There is a swedish army shirt (literary field shirt) which is made out of thick green cotton, two buttons, and buttoned cuffs. AND, most importantly, RM uses one... Should be available on evilbay (as everything else on this planet)
p3.jpg

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Are Big Swede I was starting to go mad you are the man! :You_Rock_

First image I've got one of those I love it, use it as both a base and mid layer, top bit of kit.

But you are on the mark with the Swedish Army shirt I think! Right Evilbay here i come. :D

P

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
The one I was refering too is a traditional rugby (style) shirt, made by Front Row (product code FR1, Heavyweight) I've got the XXL in bottle green (white collar) which is plenty big enough for me (46/48" chest) and long in the arms. IIRC it was just under £15.

There were some on eBay, but only black 3XL! As I said, usualy used by printers, so you could try your local T-Shirt printing place and they should be able to get you one in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE