Bushcraft food, Rations Etc.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 28, 2009
UK
So what kind of rations do you like to take and eat on bushcrafting and camping trips? Or if you dont like rations what kind of food do you like to take? Personaly I like to take good old British GP ration packs not the American MRE's ~Blah! And the rest of the food I eat is hand picked or freshly killed.

Had enough of rat packs dont even bother with the Drinks packs now
im in the outdoors to live not survive :D

heres slow roast shoulder of lamb with Port gravey and mixed veg mash
P4120081.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

ATB

Duncan

May 28, 2009
UK
That sure looks better than whats in the rat packs! Im just to lazy to prepair food like that all the time so I just eat rations. (Im not Ray Mears!)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Started off eating Rat Packs ( because I knew them) then when I became more confident, and started to slow down in the woods moved onto cooking from scratch.

On the last two meets we have had Rabbit stew, Roast venison, Venison stew, and a cracking Curry:D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rat packs are good for overnight trips, anything longer and I take whatever I want. If you can cook it at home you can cook it camping. I can no longer hike any distance so food is very important to me, I love cooking at camp and for others.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I like both and generally take some ratpack stuff and some fresh. Ratpack meals are quick & easy when I'm hungry but cooking something fresh is more satisfying but takes a bit more effort and time, so it depends very much on my mood. But I always take both.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very much a mix of Rat pack and fresh food for me...decent sausages, whatever Will has shot recently and a bit of bannock does me nicely on SWB meets!

May 28, 2009
UK
I like both and generally take some ratpack stuff and some fresh. Ratpack meals are quick & easy when I'm hungry but cooking something fresh is more satisfying but takes a bit more effort and time, so it depends very much on my mood. But I always take both.

Same here mate!

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Had enough of rat packs dont even bother with the Drinks packs now
im in the outdoors to live not survive :D

heres slow roast shoulder of lamb with Port gravey and mixed veg mash
P4120081.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

ATB

Duncan

Hey duncan sounds like u think along the same lines as I do. http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/belzeebob23/OutdoorCooking#
I must admit never tried roasting a large lump of meat,Yet but its on the list of things to do.
Bob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Duncan
Looks great food. How do you regulate the heat/timings with your Dutch Oven?
Alan

Hey Duncan,

Try here http://dutchovendoctor.com/temperature_control.htm for a basic guide to temp control, it recomends using standard briquettes (sic) though after a while you get to "know" what the tempsgoing to be by the size / quality of your coals.

Was going to suggest that you look at Belzebobs pics but see he posted, (it's why the two of us are so well proportioned) :eek:

GB

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rice,
Gluten free pasta,
Quinoa,
Cornmeal,
Instant spuds,
Ground almonds,
Marigold stock,
Marmite,
Dried veggies and fruits,
Brown sugar,
G.F. sr flour & xanthum,
Tvp,
Tofu,
Lentils,
Shelled nuts,
Vegetable pate,
Peanut butter,
Honey,
Olive oil,
Tomato puree,
Assortment of herbs and spices.
Ribena,
T and coffee,

I like foraging for greenery, fruits and roots. :D but that's the basic list.

cheers,
Toddy

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Rice,
Gluten free pasta,
Quinoa,
Cornmeal,
Instant spuds,
Ground almonds,
Marigold stock,
Marmite,
Dried veggies and fruits,
Brown sugar,
G.F. sr flour & xanthum,
Tvp,
Tofu,
Lentils,
Shelled nuts,
Vegetable pate,
Peanut butter,
Honey,
Olive oil,
Tomato puree,
Assortment of herbs and spices.
Ribena,
T and coffee,

I like foraging for greenery, fruits and roots. :D but that's the basic list.

cheers,
Toddy

Sounds great Toddy, whats for dinner?.............anything but Marmite :yuck:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE