Bushcraft Expeditions Namibia Course Preveiw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
At the beginning of May Leon1 and myself flew to Namibia where we had been invited by woody to participate in an African Bush tracking course.

The aim of the week was a final ironing out of logistics and administration details with a rehearsal of the course In preparation for the imminent Opening of the Bushcraft expeditions company.

From what we saw during or time there this is going to be an extremely professional and well organized company offering overseas Bushcraft expeditions and courses of the very highest calibre.

On the ground Bushcraft Expeditions (BE) employed the services of Paul and Caesar:

namibSA.jpg

(Paul on the right Caesar on the left shown here interpreting the sign left by baboons)

who were not only our drivers but also encyclopaedias of knowledge on the flora and fauna of Namibia, phenomenal bush cooks providing the group with restaurant quality food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, bush mechanics capable (as they proved) of dealing with a broken prop shaft in less than 20 minutes and genuinely warm people

Vehical.jpg

(Paul and Caesar removing the prop shaft from a damaged rear diff so that the vehicle could continue on the front axle)

The efficiency of the BE team at setting up camp and the first class food provided meant that there was little to distract you from the intensive learning provided by 'Bush classrooms' and practical exercises, even the serious mechanical problems we suffered as the vehicles attempted to cope with harsh terrain only served to highlight the back up plans that had been put in place to smoothly deal with such difficulties with little alteration to the itinerary.

71492fe1.jpg

(A 'Bush classroom' session with woody providing instruction)

our days were spent alternating between sessions of Bush classroom theory and hours surrounded by African wildlife whilst we pursued a trail, culminating with a delicious evening meal and crawling into our bedrolls to fall asleep under a blanket of stars.

The last days of the course were spent attempting to absorb the incredible knowledge of the Bushmen, whom being in the company of is a truly unforgettable experience.

sanarrowjpg.jpg

woodysan.jpg

Leon1 is currently preparing a full review of the course, and I will try to get some more photos of it up in the coming days

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Fantastic pics Stuart

I spent a few weeks in Namibia with Caeser and Paul last year, great guys, I don't think there was question they couldn't answer.

Bringing some good memories back

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Absolutely supercalli fragilistic expialidocious :D ;)
Hope to visit Namibia too one day ... would be awsome to meet the Bushmen and learn from them. Pitty though I'm not that interested in tracking :rolleyes:

leon-1

Johan give it a go, you know you want to :D

Tracking becomes addictive and with this if you have an interest in wildlife it will allow you to get closer and see them in their natural enviroment.

It also has a lot to do with awareness and through tracking the awareness of finer details is improved.

On the same trip you also have the bonus of meeting probably one of the most genuine races of people that I have ever come across :D

Admittedly this is only my opinion, but I don't think that anyone who was there would disagree :)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
some more pictures for you

the local wildlife:
P1010142.jpg

namib.jpg

(I didnt take this picture, but I am not sure who did)

A few of the skills we learnt from the Bushmen:

Fire by friction
P1010030.jpg

making Cordage (we also worked with sinew)
P1010091.jpg

traps (using the cordge being made in the picture above)
P1010087.jpg

collecting water from plants
P1010106.jpg

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
leon-1 said:
Johan give it a go, you know you want to :D

Tracking becomes addictive and with this if you have an interest in wildlife it will allow you to get closer and see them in their natural enviroment.

It also has a lot to do with awareness and through tracking the awareness of finer details is improved.

On the same trip you also have the bonus of meeting probably one of the most genuine races of people that I have ever come across :D

Admittedly this is only my opinion, but I don't think that anyone who was there would disagree :)

The trip would be awsome, have to agree on that ... and now I've seen another set of brilliant pictures from Stuart it looks even better (especially since you'll learn some stuff from the Bushmen, other than tracking).

But I'll give in ;) I'm having my last uni exams on June 23, so that gives me some time to go out after that :) - Gonna try to make a sandtrap and try some tracking (deer or wild boar).
Have to admit it's addictive (spotted some fox cubs a few weeks ago and some sort of falcon praying above a field with high grass last tuesday) seeing wildlife ... Wanted to see them (fox cubs) again eversince, but unfortunately failed ...

You guys are horrible ... let make me do all sort of things ;) :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE