Bushcraft BitTorrent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

Aelfred

Here is a suggestion to everyone...

How about setting up our own BitTorrent network to share resources like TV shows, films, etc?

(For those of you who don't know BitTorrent is a very effective peer-to-peer file sharing method. More info here - http://www.bamber.org/wiki/ow.asp?NewbieFAQ )

We could setup our own tracker (i know more bandwidth and admin costs) or coordinate something with an existing BitTorrent forum.

I reckon that integrating it into the existing forum would be the most convieniet way of doing it, plus it keeps the network amongst BCUK people, who aren't likely to be leeches.

Any further thoughts from people?

A

Aelfred

Stew said:
What's the legality of it?

Like most things with the internet it is a little hazy. There is more in the FAQ link posted above.

I have, however, been acquiring many BBC programmes recently and it seems that it is still OK. :wink:

Though, with those cases against some Kazaa (a different p2p network) users in the States it may change. But not in the foreseeable future... :)

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Given the hazy nature os such things I think it is safe to say that BCUK will not be setting up anything along these lines. As hazy as file sharing is, distributing broadcast programmes is illegal.

Thanks for making a suggestion though!

A

Aelfred

That's a shame though I understand the concern.

I feel it is worth bearing in mind for the future, certainly for anything non-copyrighted or if anyone owns the copyright to something.

If BCUK are keeping clear of this can I ask anyone interested in sharing bushcraft material over bittorrent to put it out to the torrent community because I can't find anything there at present (sorry if this is an inappropriate request for the forum).

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE