Bush Hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
well, i guess they had to issue something "military"... it would have been a very strange choice to issue sombreros - even if under scorching sun the sombrero might prove to be more confortable...

Yeah. There are "military" choices for deployed troops though; the old stand-by is still the boonie hat: www.armynavyshop.com/military_boonie_camo_hats.html
still gets issued on a regular basis for deployments.

Also my favorite the campaign hat: www.millerhats.com/campaign_index/index.html but that one will aleays be reserved for drill instructors I'm afraid.

And lets not forget that the Army still issues cavalry hats to the Air Cav: www.millerhats.com/cavalry_index/cavalry.html For that matter, they still award spurs.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
....and thats kind of nice....IF you are in the air cavalry :)

Nothing wrong with a stetson either....on a cowboy

However we have great, English hats - the aforementioned flat caps, trilbys, panamas etc.

I would of course not wear a bowler....its a town hat dear boy, country apparel only.

Its the same as "pants"...they are worn UNDER trousers (or indeed under plus fours for shooting...which is totally different to hunting [hunting needs a horse] ...with socks and the right coloured garter).

We are all about preserving the old ways.......

It is really, really not a "tuxedo", it is a dinner jacket. "Black tie" simply means "less formal than white tie and tail coat".

Red

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....and thats kind of nice....IF you are in the air cavalry :)

Nothing wrong with a stetson either....on a cowboy

However we have great, English hats - the aforementioned flat caps, trilbys, panamas etc...

True enough Red; but I believe the Panama is actually of Equadoran origin. And frankly while I like flat caps and fedoras I'm not especially fond of trilbies; cain't put my finger on just what it is I don't like about them. I just don't.

BTW, Stetson is a manufacturer, not a style. They make flat caps, fedors, trilbies, panamas, etc. They've long since lost their pre-eminence as THE name in manufacturers though.

I agree with with the thought of preserving the old ways too, particularly the old ENGLISH ways. But I think the OP was asking/hinting if perhaps there was/is a standard hat which might be considered (by virtue of style as well as function) a de facto "bushcraft" hat. A part of a bushcrafter's uniform if you will. I think that's also the idea that Black Timberwolf has been steering us towards.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Holkham game keeper theory is disputed by some - but as a riding hat certainly - it is indeed still worn as such by the stylish

A bowler is a sturdy hat with a rounded crown. The brim of the hat extends out a few inches and is similarly rounded. The origins of the hat date back to approximately 1850. The bowler hat got its name from the makers of the hat – Thomas Bowler and William Bowler. Historians believe the bowler hat was created as a stylish way to protect the head when on horseback.Charlie Chaplin, as well as Laurel and Hardy, were know for their bowler hats. In the United States, a bowler hat is known as a "derby," while in England it's called a bowler.

The history of the Bowler hat at Holkham

There are many theories as to why Holkham’s gamekeepers first came to

wear ‘Bowler’ or ‘Coke’ hats, as they were commonly known in Norfolk.

The original story is that in August 1849, William Coke, a nephew of the first

Earl of Leicester of the second creation, commissioned his hatter James Lock,

to design a close-fitting, low crowned hat.

William stressed that the hat must be extra strong; in order to protect his

gamekeepers’ heads from low hanging branches, while out horse riding. It

was clear that the tall top-hats often worn by the keepers, were easily

knocked off and damaged; and a completely new style was called for. It is

believed that William also hoped the new hat would protect his keepers from

attacks by poachers.

A prototype of the hat was duly made and when William visited Locks to

inspect the design, he was presented with a very hard hat with a round, low

crown and small brim, covered in a rough finished felt.

As the story goes, William then took the hat outside on to the pavement and

promptly jumped up and down on it to determine its durability. Happily, the hat

withstood the test and in accordance with Locks’ usual practice, was called

the ‘Coke’ hat, after the customer for whom it was made. This is probably why

the hat soon became known as the ‘Billy Coke’ or ‘Billycock’ hat in Norfolk.

In later years, the hat was more generally known as the Bowler, after the

Bowler Brothers, who went on to manufacture it. Although very fashionable in

shooting parties of the time, the hat was also adopted by city stockbrokers

and barristers and soon became uniform headwear. Nowadays, judges and

officials at equestrian shows commonly wear Bowler hats.

However, recent research has cast some doubt over this story. It is now

believed that it was Edward Coke, younger brother of the second Earl of

Leicester, who actually ordered the hat.

Whatever the hat’s true origins, there is no doubt that Holkham’s present

eight-strong keepering team wear the ‘Coke’ hat with as much pride today, as

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
A part of a bushcrafter's uniform if you will. I think that's also the idea that Black Timberwolf has been steering us towards.

Good lord no !!!.....Johnboy asked at the begining of this thread, the definition of a bush hat ......He obviously wasn't satisfied with my reply.:rolleyes:

I'm not for uniforms or standard dress of any kind, least of all for 'bushcrafters'...I was just trying to put across that.a bush hat is a specific type of hat as is a trilby, Pananama, fedora etc. ..any kind of hat can be worn in the 'bush' & if anyone thinks that that then makes them bush hats then so be it :banghead:

Oddjob aside,;) if ya can't wear a bowler "a la John Steed" i.e. colour matching your suit, shoes & umbrella & jauntily tilted to one side, then forget it...:D

Incidently the term " air cavalry' amused me....didn't know the pilots wrode horses in their cockpits.:)

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Good lord no !!!.....Johnboy asked at the begining of this thread, the definition of a bush hat ......He obviously wasn't satisfied with my reply.:rolleyes:

Thats incorrect I'm not that bothered TBH I genuinely wanted to know what constitutes a 'bush hat' is it a style or generically something worn while in the bush. But I'm some what confused not that I the great scheme of things what blokes wear as hats while practicing bushcraft actually matters. It's not paying the mortgage and folk are still dying from starvation somewhere or other.

Ok you said as a definition of what is a bush hat.

No not really...a bush hat is just a brimmed hat that offers some sun protection in the 'bush'....beanies & canvas/ oilskin hats could be included in the term too as can many felt hats...

So a beanie ( which is a sort of modern term for a wooly hat) could be classified as a bush hat. But when a cap is mentioned

Haha !.......they don't offer enough shade to be classed as bush hats.:rolleyes:

So a cap does not offer enough shade but a beanie (wooly hat) does??

I thought what you were saying was a 'bush hat' is one of those leather or felt hats folk wear out in the Aussie outback a la Man From Snowy River or the bush tucker man. Or a boonie or jungle hat type thingy.

But a beanie clearly doesn't meet that criteria.

What I'm clear on is this folk like to dress up to pursue their chosen hobby that's fine and what you wear on your head doesn't really matter that much. Wearing an Aussie style bush hat in the uk is really a fashion statement or signal of belonging more than a practical requirement and that's absolutely fine.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Incidently the term " air cavalry' amused me....didn't know the pilots wrode horses in their cockpits.:)

LOL. It's been the official (and unofficial) name for well over 45 years now for the 101st Airborne's helicopter assault units. Also many of the armored (tanks) units are designated cavalry units. In both cases it's due largely to the fact that their assault tactics in formation resemble a cavalry charge.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
... It's not paying the mortgage and folk are still dying from starvation somewhere or other...

...What I'm clear on is this folk like to dress up to pursue their chosen hobby that's fine and what you wear on your head doesn't really matter that much...

So you don't count professionals such as farmers, ranchers, loggers, guides, etc. After all is said and done those are the true bushcrafters. The rest of us are basicly imitating them (or being nostalgic about our younger lives); and as you said, "...that's absolutely fine."

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
So a beanie ( which is a sort of modern term for a wooly hat) could be classified as a bush hat. But when a cap is mentioned

So a cap does not offer enough shade but a beanie (wooly hat) does??

I thought what you were saying was a 'bush hat' is one of those leather or felt hats folk wear out in the Aussie outback a la Man From Snowy River or the bush tucker man. Or a boonie or jungle hat type thingy.

But a beanie clearly doesn't meet that criteria.

Oops..sorry johnboy for causing such confusion, I was in fact refering to Boonies & not Beanies.......I'm off to the stocks now to be pelted with rotten tomatoes..:D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Incidently the term " air cavalry' amused me....didn't know the pilots wrode horses in their cockpits.:)

In military history, there are numerous weird amalgams like this. "Mounted infantry" used to amuse me - but its logical. It refers to infantry who ride to battle but fight on foot.

Actually airborne cavalry would logically be a side gunner (i.e. to be cavalry you need to fight from your "ride"). Logically the "airborne cavalry" are really "airborne infantry" unless the helos transport their fighting vehicles for them - at which point they would indeed logically be "airborne cavalry". Our own Household cavalry now fight from light armoured vehicles - if those were transported into theatre by big Chinooks - shazam - airborne cavalry.

[/nerd]

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
In military history, there are numerous weird amalgams like this. "Mounted infantry" used to amuse me - but its logical. It refers to infantry who ride to battle but fight on foot.
[/nerd]

Dragoons :)

I know what you mean about the weird amalgams. I spent most of my early years living on military bases in one place or another. They have a language of their own.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed - but only since the sixteenth century properly speaking. Much earlier there was true mounted infantry in the Celtic / Saxon period and earlier. Which makes complete sense since there were no stirrups in Western Europe until the 8th or ninth century (although they were present in China and brought west by the likes of the huns). Can't be much fun fightin from horseback with basic tack and no stirrups!

Errrm...thread drift :eek:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Indeed - but only since the sixteenth century properly speaking. Much earlier there was true mounted infantry in the Celtic / Saxon period and earlier. Which makes complete sense since there were no stirrups in Western Europe until the 8th or ninth century (although they were present in China and brought west by the likes of the huns). Can't be much fun fightin from horseback with basic tack and no stirrups!

Errrm...thread drift :eek:

Not to mention mounted longbowmen.

If you go back still earlier the stirrup may have been pointless as horses were smaller and there is some debate as to whether they could take the weight of a full-grown man. The military use may have been confined to chariots or load-bearing carts.

Thread drift? What on earth gives you that idea? :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE