Bush Hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Don't know the wombat brand but Barmah is one of the leading manufacturers of aussie leather hats.....many members on this forum use them, good quality leathers are used. (check out their website) I find their brims a little too narrow & the crowns too low for my needs...One word of caution,like most aussie leather hats they are on the small side so it would be advisable to buy the next size up from your usual hat size.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
But if your wearing a hat in the 'bush' (as opposed to northern European woodland) then by definition it's a bush hat isn't it??

Certainly ain't, ....It's defined by it's shape, utility & intended purpose & not it's location..........wearing a pyjama top in the bush doesn't make it a bush shirt.:p

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Certainly ain't, ....It's defined by it's shape, utility & intended purpose & not it's location..........wearing a pyjama top in the bush doesn't make it a bush shirt.:p

So a cap cannot be a bush hat?? Well that amazes me. If I take your logic then say a rucksack intended for infantry patrolling in the green zone in Helmand cannot be really classified as a bushcraft rucksack?? Is that reasonable comment?

Could it be that 'bush hat' is a moniker that in reality could cover a wide variety of hat and even include caps, base ball style or not.....

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
So a cap cannot be a bush hat?? Well that amazes me. If I take your logic then say a rucksack intended for infantry patrolling in the green zone in Helmand cannot be really classified as a bushcraft rucksack?? Is that reasonable comment?

Could it be that 'bush hat' is a moniker that in reality could cover a wide variety of hat and even include caps, base ball style or not.....

That's right...a military rucksack is just that & not a bushcraft bag but it can be used for bushcraft.....just like a cap is a naff piece of headwear that you can wear in the bush but it's not a bush hat.....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What about soft ball with the kids down the park?? Or fishing for snapper off of the alderman islands?? Acceptable then??

No...and No

When fishing a tweed trilby adorned with flies is de rigeur (even if coarse fishing)

For anything with the kids, I understand the temptation to dress as embarassingly as possible...but I suggest something that makes you look a little less stupid

Perhaps this?

thumbnail.aspx

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE