Building my first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi.
well, I've taken the first step and ordered some materials to build a knife. I went to Brisa (got the address from another thread) and ordered a Brusletto blade, some curly Birch, moose antler, ferule and end cap and some vulconised fabric. I'm currently waiting for it's delivery, and I will send in pictures and updates of my progress as I go through the building process. I would never have attempted this if it wasn't for the information I've seen on this forum. If anyone can spot a glaring mistake, please feel free to correct me.

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
Good luck with your project. You wont go far wrong with Brisa products, I've used them a few times and I'm impressed with the quallity of the products and the service they provide.
I look forward to seeing the finished knife.
If you need further info have a look here

Regards...Ian

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Have a look in the gallery, I have a few pictures of a Lauri PT blade from Brisa, that I have turned into my current bushcrafter.
Have a chat with Leon-1, he turns out some very good work and can answer most of the problems you will encounter (he solved most of the problems I had!).
Neil

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Speaking of which, I'm having trouble making my two scales flat for my handle. Any clever ideas with minimal tools?

I'll try not to hijack the thread..

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Biddlesby said:
Speaking of which, I'm having trouble making my two scales flat for my handle. Any clever ideas with minimal tools?

I'll try not to hijack the thread..

wet and dry stuck to a flat surface like glass or marble :)

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Stick sand paper to the back of one of the glass work top protectors/chopping boards.

I'd use some medium grade sand paper first then wet and dry to smooth the finish. Wet and dry alone will take and age if its seriously lumpy.

Rgds

leon-1

You can use rough sides, but Epoxy by its nature is self levelling and will creep into every nook and cranny that is in the wood.

You don't have to finish it like you would the outside of the scale, but it will still be quite smooth. Think sbout the steel that you are sticking it to, it will be smooth yet the epoxy will still adhere to it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE