Build the perfect survival kit, a book review.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
As I was wandering through the new Borders books in Dundee, i found myself checking out the outdoors section.
I found this book, "Build the perfect survival kit" by John D McCann
so I bought it :D

Firstly, it's slightly American in it's orientation and language, but for all that it's still a decent read.

The book breaks itself down into four sections.
1. Basics
2. Components
3. Kits
4. Appendicies

The first section covers the why of kits and is just a few pages. The book makes the point that the author isn't selling anything (other than the book) and has no links to manufacturers. The point is also made that the book isn't a survival manual, and that a kit is no good if you don't know a) what's in it, and b) how to use the contents.

The second section is where it starts to get interesting for all the kit junkies out there.
Here the book breaks down into more chapters covering the individual items that are to be put into the kit. things such as fire lighting methods, water purification, tools such as knives etc
This section is well laid out and quite comprehensive. It covers all sorts of stuff, some things I'd never thought to add to a kit, but now I can see the use (sunglasses for example)

The third section covers the actual assembly of kits. This is the important bit of the book.
This section breaks down as follows;
1. selecting containers
2. making mini and small kits
3. making medium and large kits
4. making vehicle kits
5. in conclusion

I found this section to be most interesting. the containers include a kit inside a walking pole (mase from bamboo), a vest kit, a kit inside a hat, and larger kits such as bum backs (snugpack response pack sized) up to a kit for an aircraft.
The only kit in the book that isn't much use or the UK is the survival rifle kit.

Finally the fourth section of the book covers recommended kit lists, a list of suppliers, and a list of course providers/further reading.

All in all, a decent book and worth the £9 I paid for it.
It's for everyone who's ever wondered what to put in their possibles pouch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE