British Army Jungle Sleeping bag in the Cairngorms?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jjfsmth

Jan 30, 2015
London
:yo: Hello Community,
This is my first post, (actually it's my second and the first didn't work) so go easy on me!
I recently got a British Army Jungle sleeping bag and was looking to test it out soon when it gets a little bit warmer.
Now I have a trip planned to Cairngorms national park in may and have toyed with the idea of taking it along with my woollen blanket.
Does anyone have experience of the sleeping bag and could tell me if this is a bad idea? I have the BA Arctic bag which I love but would rather take something a bit lighter and smaller.
Thanks for reading!

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Hi and welcome to the forum.

IIRC the jungle bags are 2 season? It depends on when your going and what altitude your going to be at. Just to give you an idea of Cairngorm weather, the weather station down the road from me recorded -5 last May and -0.1 in August, thats probably at about 600' above sea level.
Take into consideration other clothing worn and what mat you're using between the ground and your bag, fitness level, etc. A bivi bag may add a degree or two.

Hope this is of some help.

Jjfsmth

Jan 30, 2015
London
Thanks Dogoak!
Yeah I have a Bivi and the BA 3/4 length inflatable mat, but I just realised that the german folding mat fits neatly into the german mountain rucksack I have so will probably get that as it's cheap. BTW i'm not an army nut, I just had lots of my gear nicked out of my car a few months back and am replacing it with cheap army surplus.
I'll be sleeping with a tarp over me so I think it's probably worth lugging the arctic bag around.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Nothing wrong with surplus kit, personally I think think there's far too much emphasis put on all the Guci kit :rolleyes:
Another alternative could be a softie jacket and trousers?

Jjfsmth

Jan 30, 2015
London
i haven't looked into the softies option. will do, cheers!
so i take it you're local to the area? can you recommend some good places? i want to go wild swimming mainly and stick to forest camping but fancy walking a few peaks too. first day i'm going to go to Loch An Eilein, but no idea after that!

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Even with a softie suit the jungle bag is pushing it. Especially if the weather turns. Best be on the side of caution.

Jjfsmth

Jan 30, 2015
London
thanks Johnnyboy,
I have devised a way of strapping the arctic bag around my waste with some luggage straps so it sits pretty neatly under my rucksack so i might take it instead. i'd rather carry the extra weight and bulk to be sure of a warm night's sleep. Every time I go to Scotland in the summer it seems to be sunny and warm, i even got sunburnt! but i guess that's just luck so far

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Have you any experience in mountainous terrain?

Reason i ask is that going up there in May expecting warm clear weather without experience you are likely to not have the experience to cope IF the weather turns.

Part of that experience should be in:
Navigation - especially during poor visibility, relying 100% on your phone or GPS is very risky.
Predicting the weather - Experience in predicting the weather comes in, being able to notice a on-coming storm can be a real help
Abilities - IF the weather comes in it often takes a wise head to not hit a summit and err on the side of caution
Problems - Experience in how to get around problems, either with kit or yourself

Part of that experience is knowing that tying your sleeping round your waist is a very very bad idea

My advice is to get some experience in less exposed areas, see how you handle that before tackling the Cairngorms

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Its really difficult to find out what the Jungle Bag's rating is, but since its for Jungle use, the Cairngorms in May might not be the best way to find out! Even with a softie suit, etc, I'm with JohnneyBoy1971 - at best you might be just about alright, but at worst you'll be hypo. You cannot trust to luck that the weather will be OK.

Surplus kit tends to be cheap (although not as cheap as you'd think), but also tends to be heavy and bulky. And remember cheap is not cheap, expensive is not expensive, especially if your freezing your bits off in the middle of nowhere. If you did want a better bag, have a look at Mountain Hardware's range of synthetics. Relatively light considering they are synthetics, but at a round £120 (if you shop around), you might get something suitable. If not take the Arctic bag (but its gonna be heavy, and no, I wouldn't tie it around my waist either), or at least get a decent sleeping mat (Alpkit's are back). And get some drybags from Alpkit for whatever bag your going to take at the same time - the XP's are a bargain,

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I have devised a way of strapping the arctic bag around my waste with some luggage straps so it sits pretty neatly under my rucksack

I just have this daft image in my head of a dark green Michellin Man staggering up Ben Macdui or scrambling along the Chalamain Gap looking as wide round the middle as tall and sweating like a swamp monster! Lol :yelrotflm:yelrotflm:yelrotflm

Do have the best of fun up there, leave the jungle bag to the jungle and for goodness sake make sure you let somebody responsible know exactly where you are and when you'll be back....just so they know where to find you :)

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
He has a wool blanket with him too...should be fine warmth/flexibility wise (with bivy/tarp and a mat/clothing) but the Arctic Bag will actually be the lightweight option compared to the pair carried together no? Quite a fan of lightweight summer bags in conjunction with suitable clothing (I don't have a military background assume that equates to softies) and a bivy or a Jerven bag - though I haven't I admit ever hit really low temperatures before.

Jjfsmth

Jan 30, 2015
London
Thanks for the advice guys. I do have a bit of experience in navigation. Spent a lot of time on dartmoor and know the basics of weather lore because of that too. I don't want to spend much time in the mountains anyway. Want to spend most of it in the woods.
Forgive my ignorance but why is it such a bad idea to strap the bag to my waist? It feels pretty comfortable to me and it seems just the same as strapping it to the lower part of my pack. I had a berghaus crusader before it was stolen and it sat in pretty much the same position on that.
I'm going to test out all my replacement kit before heading up there and I'm still trying to work out how it all will fit together.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thanks for the advice guys. I do have a bit of experience in navigation. Spent a lot of time on dartmoor and know the basics of weather lore because of that too. I don't want to spend much time in the mountains anyway. Want to spend most of it in the woods.
Forgive my ignorance but why is it such a bad idea to strap the bag to my waist? It feels pretty comfortable to me and it seems just the same as strapping it to the lower part of my pack. I had a berghaus crusader before it was stolen and it sat in pretty much the same position on that.
I'm going to test out all my replacement kit before heading up there and I'm still trying to work out how it all will fit together.

In no particular order

Because it's not in a waterproof bag it's going to get wet when it rains
If you fall over in the mud, it's going to get dirty and wet
It's likely to get torn on any bushes/trees you snag
In said bushes and trees there are likely waiting countless ticks that will transfer onto it
You are going to sweat like a bison in a sauna with that wrapped round you
Stuff tends to get snagged and fall off when tied around your waist, if it's not windy and you notice straight away no problem, if it's windy though you'll be playing "chase me" with your nights sleeping warmth

When visiting cold and/or wet areas it's wise to keep your sleep kit as dry and clean as possible, the drier and cleaner they are the more warmth they will retain.

Around May in the cairngorms you have to pack for between say 15c which is likely to be the warmest, to -5c which is likely to be the coldest.
If you are unfortunate enough to be caught out with dirty, torn, wet kit at -5c then unless you are fit, well and experienced it's likely you are going to get into trouble.

Even in the summer months if the weather comes in the cairngorms are unforgiving.

Jjfsmth

Jan 30, 2015
London
i see, thanks. what's to stop me maybe putting it in a drybag before it goes around my waist? what is the best option then for transporting the arctic bag? i couldnt even fit it into my massive crusader pack. it'd be good to know if anyone else uses one how they pack it.

I'll definitely be packing accordingly. I'm pretty hardy but also pretty sensible when it comes to personal safety.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE