Boy Stuff!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Andy, obviously you have taken my post out of context and are somewhat vexed,I was trying to point you in the directions of the experts. I would have thought a 'proper razor' was one that did the job, much like a proper knife. Now if you have kit up to the job,all you need to do is practice, I'm sure when you have been shaving as long as I have you will master round the chin strokes. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay boys, I just can't resist this. :)
I'm (thankfully) not very hairy, but it's still not the done thing to wear skirts and not de-fluff legs. I come out in an appalling rash with depliatory creams, razors are uncomfortable and waxing is hellish. So I use silkymit. Basically it's sandpaper for skin :eek: However, I overheard a neighbour, who's blessed with the menopausal curse of a moustache, say that she's bought a facial disc from the same company for removing her problem......so I went looking on google for links for you.
http://www.blushingbuyer.co.uk/acatalog/blushingbuyer_co_uk__Alida_Silkymit_Hair_Removal_13.html

http://www.shop.naturalhealthcaretoday.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=275

I'll bet you all have soft, hair free skin just above your knees...it's 'cos your trousers rub it away all of the time, well the silkymit does the same sort of thing over time to the rest of your legs.....faces?? I just don't know.
I suppose it's experimental bushcraft and you could always use it for polishing up a knife if all else fails :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Having shaved thousands of men and women, I can concurr that womens extra hair is a lot softer than mens- even facial hair. So a skin buffer (last years 'must have' christmas present for men who hadn't a clue what to get 'her') works well on girly skin/hair, but might not be so effective on rough, manly grizzle.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Well I tried shaving oil this week, I'm impressed. Got one from tescos that was just essential oils, lavender, rosemary etc. I'm not sure whether I'm getting a little neck rash with it, otherwise I like it a lot.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
thanks for the links toddy

but ummmmmmm........................

Picture.jpg

it aint working for me sorry, not even makin a dent in that lot

Tant

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I use the Original oil here and find it to be really a good shave. I use this at home and in the field, and I use a gillette sensor razor. If the blades start to clog, get an old toothbrush and give it a quick clean, a toothbrush cut off weighs practically nothing. If you are a roughy toughy type/minger, use your normal toothbrush!

The old bottles can be useful aswell. I stick one in my rifle pistol grip with a bit of gun oil in, along with some flanallette and a pull through. OK, granted most of you aren't running around with an automatic rifle, but you could put in oil for your field sharpening kit. Just make sure you know which bottle is which! Just to give you an idea of the size, the bottle with lid stands about 2 inches high, and a bottle does last a long time.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, I don't use my normal toothbrush, that was a bit of a jibe at those who like to cut weight down as far as possible!! There was a guy when I went through training who had his whole wash kit in a soap dish!! He used the blades from a razor without a handle, had a small piece of soap, about a quarter of a flannel and a little travel toothpaste tube. His toothbrush was a cut down toothbrush, no problem with that, but he cut it down so that all he had was the bit with the bristles!!!! How the hell are you meant to use that?? :D

leon-1

spamel said:
He used the blades from a razor without a handle, had a small piece of soap, about a quarter of a flannel and a little travel toothpaste tube. His toothbrush was a cut down toothbrush, no problem with that, but he cut it down so that all he had was the bit with the bristles!!!! How the hell are you meant to use that?? :D

Apparently it may work if you chewed it :rolleyes:

Seen it and heard it before, can't beat travel soap and towel, folding toothbrush, theramed trial size and a folding razor with some shaving oil, all fit into a small pouch and the towel is the same size as a bathsheet. :D

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Novel idea - don't bring shaving oils and gels and foam and every other product of the chemists'. Use a mini travel razor (bought mine from a tacky travel shop in an airport for 4 kroner, has worked fine for four years), and if you're super sensitive whack some water on. If it still hurts, press more gently. Or, as Tom says, stop being such a girl :p :D

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Why not take a leaf out of the books of the folk at Turkish Baths: Shaving without a razor (and preferably without a sense of smell!):

Simply get a thin taper that burns slowly and relatively cool. Pass the flame over the hairy bits you don't want to be hairy any more (but quick enough you don't blister!) and voila! No hair. You can even let the taper come in contact with your skin and if unless you're really sluggish it'll not hurt or mark at all. Fire on your face you say :eek: ? Well, we hack at them with razor sharp blades normally- can't be any worse :D

It makes a hellish smell but is really effective. You do need a certain level of skill to get it right, and you need to wash off the soot afterwards if you've used a dirty flame. :eek:

Oh, it helps if you're particularly shaggy up top, to wet the hair that you want to keep...

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I did once use a lighter in an emergency! I had shaved in a rush at a mates without a mirror, I was only told after we had left about the big bit I had missed so with a car mirror and a lighter I burnt it off :eek: It worked but not something I would use on short stubble.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Goose said:
I did once use a lighter in an emergency! I had shaved in a rush at a mates without a mirror, I was only told after we had left about the big bit I had missed so with a car mirror and a lighter I burnt it off :eek: It worked but not something I would use on short stubble.

Can I recommend that Tant doesn't try this method :eek:

Must admit I've never shaved whilst camping, bushcrafting, etc. Its one of those pleasures that you get when you get home, along with a nice shower and a soak in the bath.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE