Boy Stuff!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
OK I talking about shaving. Normaly I use a mach3 and gell but it seems a bit excessive to take a pot of gell with me for a week camping. I tend to get very sore if I don't pampa myself when shaving or leave it too long. I wont be able to do the normal routine when camping though.
My normal routine is
hot damp cloth
apply gell
shave
cold damp cloth
dry
apply after shave balm

I was wondering if people could suggest compact things to help stop the shaving rash I fear so much. Any advice for a compact shaving kit would be very welcome. Also since it's summer I wonder if putting sun tan lotion on straight after shaving might turn me spotty again, I quite like been over the teenage spots.
I don't want to look like some sad young bloke that's trying to grow a beard but can't (I can anyway)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
king of shaves shaving oil and use just the blade heads (not the handle) of the mach 3 (they are big enough to hold comfortably in in your fingers, trust me ;) )

this set up has kept me stubble & rash free in the field for trips as long as a month, and i have sensitive skin

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
PC2K said:
i don't shave in the field, but than again, i never stay very long in the field either...

Ever tried shaving oil ?

I find it tends to clog up the blades, especially if you use triple bladed jobbies. I tend to stick to ordinary soap on the very rare occasions when I shave in the field.

simon

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
If I ever shave with a blade I just use water. Doesn't scrape or cause a rash, or am I just lucky? Years of shaving other people with just water pays dividends, but in the field, I don't shave. It's much more manly you know.... ;)

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Another vote for the oil

I find the disposable double or triple clog to easily so I use the old fashioned single blade (you know the ones, the classic razor blade shape)

Once I learn to sharpen properly it will be back to the cut throat. Never had a closer shave :eek:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I have a compact gillette one with replaceable blades that I keep meaning to try.
Using a straight razor is quite difficult on yourself as you can't really do a stroke upwards (at least I never could). Also never get a straight razor on ebay, the normaly have tiny rust spots and with them being so thin just chip on use.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I go with the King of Shaves shaving oil too. Don't get a cheap imitation though, I did once and it was rubbish.

I have sensitive skin so I usually use a Braun shaver though. Takes up more space and weighs more than a blade but you don't need water, soap/foam, towel, mirror, or tissue to stick on your cuts :D .

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
stotRE said:
Soap, shaving brush and good cut throat razor.
Cold water is best.
Works for me.

why cold water, I was always told that for a great close shave should put a damp tea towel in the microwave for a few minutes to get it really hot and wrap it round your face for a couple of minutes. I found it helped

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Cold water seems far less likley to produce razor rash in my experience, and another vote for good shaving oil from me. Or for home a tip I got from Letter from America years ago, have a shave after soaking in a hot bath or a shower and you need nothing but water and a good razor to give you the closest wet shave possible. Works pretty well with just soaking your wiskers with whatever water you have for a few minutes so they start to feel softer than when dry before shaving as well so is doable but not quite so good in the field.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
I was always told that for a great close shave should put a damp tea towel in the microwave for a few minutes to get it really hot and wrap it round your face for a couple of minutes. I found it helped

i also prefer the hot soak before shaving. apparently it does soften the hairs.

check out the body shop for shaving products in small tubes. failing that, as already suggested shaving oils/cremes in non airosol varieties, decanted into film canisters. other things to look out for, small toiletry gift packs in the sales, they often come in cool organiser bags. i have several, and i've never yet managed to use any of the bags for anything practical, but i'm sure i'l make a great possibles bag/survival kit out of one, one day :D

just keep the oils away from water courses, go with biodgradeable where you can.

i had a clockwork shaver once, it did a great job in plucking hairs :eek: a tiny hitachi battery powered shaver provided years of faithful service though.

cheers, and.

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
I shave every day, in the field or out. I use a disposable razor and this shaving oil in the field or when traveling: http://www.magellans.com/store/Toiletries___Kits___ToiletriesKR381?Args=
The shaving oil serves as a shaving medium and an after shave. This oil is from the US but according to previous posts, there are a number of European equivalents. At home I use soap for shaving and face cream for after shave. It's really dry here and the cream helps to keep my skin from drying out.
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE