Bowl Adze Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 20, 2016
Surrey
Good evening all!

I have recently got into wood carving and I am currently amassing a collection of tools. My next purchase is to get an Adze for carving bowls, maybe larger kuksa's, generally to hollow things fast.

It seems that there are a lot out there however what i seem to find is that everyone rests at the same opinion; spend the money, get the Hans Karlsson. This for me however is just a too far out the realms of what I'm willing to pay as a novice.

After some looking around I have decided to buy a head from Dave Budd as he has a good reputation and it comes a reasonable £70. Can anyone reccomend this desicion/ have any eperience with one of his adzes?

He makes size sweep curve and shape to order. Does anyone have any advice on what shape and size works well? and what shape would be the most versatile?

I understand the bevel needs to be on the outside for the control and to prevent it from digging in. any advice on optimum angles?

also what sweep is preferable? I am thinking if it is too flat it will be less versatile as it will be unable to be used for small projects. What if any are the drawbacks of having too tight a sweep?

As a novice I appriciate any advice, so thanks in advance.

Edit: just checked his website again and it looks like hes had a bit of a rejig... the price has increased by £20.
Any other recommendation for good versatile bowl adzes for less that £100?

Nathan

Trotsky

If you buy from Mr Budd you won't regret it, you'll get a tool sharp enough to shave with that will hold it's edge for a long time. His tools are really excellent and he's a very accommodating chap, friendly too when you get to know him.

Dec 20, 2016
Surrey
Thank you for you reply Trotsky,

I haven't heard anything else, which is why I looked into him. The issue is without much experience with adzes (and barely any with curved ones for hollowing) I want to put some thought into getting the shape right!

Trotsky

Thank you for you reply Trotsky,

I haven't heard anything else, which is why I looked into him. The issue is without much experience with adzes (and barely any with curved ones for hollowing) I want to put some thought into getting the shape right!

I have a bowl adze from him I bought "off the shelf" at TORM last November, it's patterned after Roman ones found during digs, it's a lovely piece. The missus and I have a couple of spoon hooks and broken back seaxs from him too, he's exceptionally good at what he does. Be aware that he doesn't follow his email all that closely (he's got to be in the workshop a lot of the time) so it may be a while before you get a reply from him but, it's well worth making contact about what you want.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Have you used an adze before?

I have a large german curved adze. It is very quick for removing material (and not just on the inside).

The bevel does not have to be on the outside, that depends on how you are using it. If you are taking off fine shaving chips, then inside bevel works just fine.

Think of using a chisel to clean out a joint; which way up is the bevel?
If the bevel is on the inside, you swing so the adze is taking a shaving off. A glancing swing. Don't dig at the wood like it is a shovel or a spoon.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I have a bowl adze by Mr Budd. Its a fine piece of steel indeed and has dug lots of holes in lots of pieces of wood. I mostly use it for starting kuksa sized holes which I finish with a curved gouge. A bit big for spoon bowls. I think it would be most at home digging out wider shallower bowls.

Adze2.jpg

I've had it for a couple of years and I have never had to sharpen it more than a quick wipe on a leather strop. The handle came loose on mine almost straight away as the wedge worked itself loose, but he did say he put the handle on in a hurry. I guess the humidity in my garage is different to the humidity in Dave's shed. The handle itself needed thinning a bit for my wee paws, so it was a good thing the wedge came loose! No steel wedges involved so it was easy to re-wedge it and it has been solid ever since. Unfortunately, mine was never stamped with his logo.
I read recently that Dave has revised the design of his adzes after meeting an eastern European carver, so what he is offering now would probably be different to mine. Bear in mind that he does not hold a great deal of stock of ready made items. I was lucky that he had one on the shelf, but you may have to be patient while he gets around to your order.

He's a really nice fella to to business with!

Dec 20, 2016
Surrey
thanks for the reply! I appriciate your advice.

Yeah your adze has still got that mirror finish! not bad from 2 years use and stropping only, a testament to the materials used and the craftsmanship.

From looking at the photo i think that the blade width and sweep look right however I think i would prefer a bigger curve on the head (for want of better terminology) to allow me to get a little deeper. I will give him a call and sort something out.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My big Stubai carver's adze is 7/75 and the bevel is on the inside for chipping, as it should be.
For bowls and feast dishes, I'd like a gutter profile and no more than 50mm (2") wide.

Kestrel Tool is the top bladesmith in the Pacific Northwest, you can see all the profiles for the Sitka, Baby Sitka and the D-adze blades in the website.
My carvings aren't so large that I need more than the Baby Sitka blade and a D adze. Not difficult to haft your own, instructions
are included. The mirror finishes can be sustained with quality honing compounds. I like CrOx/AlOx mix and I hear very good reports about Autosol.

http://www.kestreltool.com/

Dec 20, 2016
Surrey
Tanks for your response Robson.

Those kestrel adzes certainly look interesting and i can see why they would be useful for more detailed work. They look very light though and i prefer something with a bit of weight to it. Not cumbersome but enough for a controlled momentum. I may look into them in the future so I appreciate the link and the recommendation.

Hi Guys,

After Robson Valley mentioned the Baby Adze in another post, I purchased one to give it a try. I like it a lot and it is a fine tool. But it is more of a gutter adze than a bowl adze. You may want to look for an adze with a more acute angle between the iron and the handle for bowls.

I am not a bowl carver. So I do not have much experience with adzes. But despite really liking the Baby Adze, I still have my eye out for a more dedicated "bowl adze."

- Woodsorrel

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You all will not see my Kestrel Baby Sitka adze, not my Kestrel D adze nor my big Stubai 7/75 carving adze.
Twice, for 30 minutes at a time, this site won't let me post a picture.
They are mirror freakin shiny as I hone them to carving sharp, not simplistically cutting sharp.
OK by me. Adios.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE