Bowie knife wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Can anybody point me in the direction of a good place to buy a decent bowie knife and a resonable price? i have tried google but havent turne dup anyhting yet or is their any sellers out there??

Cheers
Adam

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The first problem you will have is with defining what a "bowie" knife actually is...there are rather a lot of interpretations! LOL

Might you not find something on the British Blades makers sales section?

Big question is what do you want it for? There are bowies with long skinny points, straight clips, swepped clips, short bellies and long, hollow, flat and convex grinds, double guards, single guards, no guards and sub-hilts. Prices run from dirt cheap to stratospheric.

The Falkniven A1 could be termed a bowie, as could the Becker BK7 and BK9.

Is it a user or a looker you want?

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
If you want something off the shelf and well built why not look at SOG.Heine Haynes does some they are goog quality and are razor sharp, they are modern versions of bowies not traditional ones with but I like their funcionability

J

jm38a1

C_Claycomb said:
The first problem you will have is with defining what a "bowie" knife actually is...there are rather a lot of interpretations! LOL

Might you not find something on the British Blades makers sales section?

Big question is what do you want it for? There are bowies with long skinny points, straight clips, swepped clips, short bellies and long, hollow, flat and convex grinds, double guards, single guards, no guards and sub-hilts. Prices run from dirt cheap to stratospheric.

The Falkniven A1 could be termed a bowie, as could the Becker BK7 and BK9.

Is it a user or a looker you want?

C_Claycomb is spot on .
You and only you can decide what knife is best for you .
IF you can try to handle as many knives as you can then decide, the problem
is their are so many knives avalible , very good makers very bad etc.
For me my SOG BOWIE is at the moment the best knife , I use it , abuse it
it does everything that i need it to , but to a lot of people its to big etc .
just my 2cents worth .

Not to get off thread to much But a knife is made to be used why would anyone want
a knife just to look at :confused:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Run for cover! Prepare for BB invasion jm

ROTFLMAO! :D :D :D

It happens in all things that can be considered a work of art. Cars, jars, furniture....... and knives. People will collect all sorts of things.

I like "using" knives, rather than "art" knives, but I do have a couple that for one reason or another won't get used. One used to get used, and the other was the result of a moment of weakness :rolleyes: :eek: . However, without the collector types I doubt that there would be nearly so many companies able to exist and make good using knives.

Come on Adam, give us a clue what you are looking for.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I don't mean to vary from the intent of the thread, but thought to show this bowie as an example of the vast variety of bowies available. Here's one I picked up on ebay several years ago. It's a German blade made in the 1970s and aimed at the American market. Got it for a good price from a man in Canada. I originally bought it to look at, but found it to be a pretty good user blade as well. Aside from the eagle head buttcap, the guards have the head of a wolf to honor Native America and the blade has a traditional cowboy scene. The blade is 10" and overall length is a bit over 15".

watermark.php
watermark.php

watermark.php

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Aye lads sorry that i was a "tad" bit vaguw, i'm looking for a fairly plain bowie knife but the only way i can really describe what i want is that maybe a larger version of the frosts mora knife. and anything up to 20 pounds in terms of price

cheers
Adam

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
well if its a larger blade on the Mora you want there are mora models with up to 15 cm blade (27 cm total length), that is almost 6 inch blade (5.9) and 10 inches total length for you non-metric people :)

http://www.frosts.se/moraknivar_main.html

Model S-2H, which is the "classical" mora shape aswell.

*edit* And if you want even more, they have a hunters knife that has a 22 cm blade 36 cm total length.

http://www.frosts.se/jakt_main.html (model C-223 P)

But as the others said, the size wont do everything. If you want to use it as a machete/parang, you might be better off getting one, or bring an axe. Now as a personal preference, i like a more "normal" blade for control when carving and cutting. For the heavier stuff i bring an axe (or even a folding saw ;).

/HuBBa

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
My first knife was the one on the left ,my father made it from a broken butchers knife and i carried it for years when i was a kid.
I always liked using a fuller bowie style blade.

396_9651crop_1.jpg

The SOG bowie is on the right and is an absolutely beautiful knife.
I used to use the second in from the left ,a BUCK 119 special (i think) and it was a good knife.
The Glock knife was rubbish and the KaBar was a little too large for me.
I used to favour one larger knife but now i like a knife and saw or axe combo.
If i was to ge back to one larger kniofe i'd use a Knivsmed Stromeng 9" Samekniv.
If you want a really good bowie then talk to Allan Blade ;)

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
khimbar said:
Rapidboy is the SOG the one on the far right...? That's a nice looking knife!
Yep

L to R
Home made knife ,BUCK 119 ,Glock Model 81 ,CASE Ka-Bar ,SOG Bowie.

The SOG bowie should not be confused with the cheaper SOG recon bowie (just in case anyone thinks they are getting a good deal on evilgay -the recon bowie is a fair bit cheaper than the bowie ;) )

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
hmmmmm

i doubt you could get any of those for under £20 , nice though they are

ebay has some deals , but i would steer clear of most of the "buy it now" offers unless you have done some homework and read a few reviews about the knife in question.

local fishing tackle shops will let you see and possibly handle knives before buying, and they tend to be cheaper than the shooting type shops

Keep an eye on the specials at http://www.heinnie.com/

and http://www.extremeoutdoorgear.co.uk/index.php

also BB http://www.britishblades.com/forums/index.php? have a sales section

hope that helps

Tant

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
You might want to look out for Reg Cooper stuff. They wont be less then £20 new but you may come across some second hand stuff. I sem to think Neito make some bowie knives which tend to crop up on Ebay in Germany. Neito is a fairly good Spanish make that use 440C
You might also come across second hand Ka Bar or a buck special as shown above.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yeah, I'd say go for a Ka-Bar if you've got the bling-bling ($$) laying around.

They're massive, and pretty much impossible to break. (Full tang construction, decent steel, etc, etc)

'coz if you think 'bout it, the USMC's been using 'em since WWII. And they're still using 'em. You can hammer with it, cut just about anything, even dig a hole in the ground with it. (Okay, maybe not dig, but STILL!) :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE