bowhunt scotland?????!!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
C_Claycomb said:
Here is a link for you to have a look at. there is some very interesting data to be found if you have the time and patience.
http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=24

Certainly interesting..... though as the man says a bit questionable scientifically.However if as he says is true and its the best study of its type, I'd like to know where all this clean shot - bow bravado comes from?

Where are all the super snipers to show him how its done. :lmao:

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
As a newcomer to the forum I have tried to read threads from start to finish before posting and have done so with this thread to ensure that my post took full consideration of all the discussion that had taken place before it.

I am an avid rifle hunter and have been for 32 of my 37 years. I would be lying if I said that I only hunted for the table because I do not. Simply, I hunt because I love it. The common misconception is that people who love to hunt must also love to kill which is simply not true. The killing part of a hunt should be a formality and is the culmination of a successful stalk to within a range acceptable to the hunter at which he can efficiently despatch an animal bringing about a rapid and unsuffering death. It makes very little difference whether you are holding a bow or a rifle the principles are the same. I have nothing but respect for the Bowhunter and admire the level of skill both in stalking and his/her ability to place an arrow with lethal accuracy. I also feel desperately sorry for UK Bowhunters that have seen their sport ripped out from under them due to the mindless acts of barbaric morons (truly deserving of the 'love to kill' label) and if faced with this prospect would have to seriously consider leaving the UK to persue a sport that has become such a large part of my life. James Douglas was a perfect example of a man who appreciated both Archery and Rifle Shooting for its own individual merits being proficient with both (for those that do not know he was tragically killed in a horrific accident whilst constructing a bow)
I suppose what I am trying to say is that regardless of your weapon of choice, be it slingshot, bow or rifle if you are proficient with it you have my utmost respect and admiration as I in turn would hope to have yours :)

Reactions: Wayland

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
Silverback said:
As a newcomer to the forum I have tried to read threads from start to finish before posting and have done so with this thread to ensure that my post took full consideration of all the discussion that had taken place before it.

I am an avid rifle hunter and have been for 32 of my 37 years. I would be lying if I said that I only hunted for the table because I do not. Simply, I hunt because I love it. The common misconception is that people who love to hunt must also love to kill which is simply not true. The killing part of a hunt should be a formality and is the culmination of a successful stalk to within a range acceptable to the hunter at which he can efficiently despatch an animal bringing about a rapid and unsuffering death. It makes very little difference whether you are holding a bow or a rifle the principles are the same. I have nothing but respect for the Bowhunter and admire the level of skill both in stalking and his/her ability to place an arrow with lethal accuracy. I also feel desperately sorry for UK Bowhunters that have seen their sport ripped out from under them due to the mindless acts of barbaric morons (truly deserving of the 'love to kill' label) and if faced with this prospect would have to seriously consider leaving the UK to persue a sport that has become such a large part of my life. James Douglas was a perfect example of a man who appreciated both Archery and Rifle Shooting for its own individual merits being proficient with both (for those that do not know he was tragically killed in a horrific accident whilst constructing a bow)
I suppose what I am trying to say is that regardless of your weapon of choice, be it slingshot, bow or rifle if you are proficient with it you have my utmost respect and admiration as I in turn would hope to have yours :)
Well said Silverback :)

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Silverback said:

I couldn't agree with you more.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Dave

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
I think that it boils down to the right tool in the right situation. Hunters in the US/Canada seem to choose the technique/tools depending on their target and location, moving from bow/crossbow to large bore rifle depending on terrain/target. Bows are very effective at close range even with large game and are especially popular in the multistem woodlands common in the US/Canadain Rockies. I think part of the reason is that they need little or no backstop compared with .308 etc and are percieved to be safer in areas which are open to anyone. The people that use them appreciate the skills recquired and enjoy the proximity to the quary and the other animals around them whilst waiting the the right shot.

A numpty with a bow is dangerous but no worse than a numpty with any other type of weapon/tool/small plastic elephant (a colleague once had to removed said item from a nostril after a 'disagreement' between two brothers after xmas dinner - both of them were over 30!).

The key to effective, safe hunting is education, practice and experience.

As for moving around after being shot.. its not restricted to big animals, recently I was out rabbiting, the 1st rabbit of the evening gave an oscar winning performace bouncing and rolling down a hill, sending every other bunny for miles into the burrows and finally ending up in a patch of nettles 15 ft away - all this from a clean heas shot with a .22lr at 50 yards!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE