Bmw R1200gs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks Jim,

That’s kind of what I had heard. A lot of people think they are a little more hard core, but they can never, in my experience, pin down what it is. As to the weight issue, by the time you have put the bigger tank on them, that you would want to tour, and all the extra kit you would probably want, there probably isn’t that much difference between the two.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
AJB said:
Thanks Jim,

That’s kind of what I had heard. A lot of people think they are a little more hard core, but they can never, in my experience, pin down what it is.

I like to think of the GS as a sort of two-wheeled X5. It looks like it belongs off-road when it's on road, ensuring one is rightly viewed as a double hard *******.

[edit] I used a norty word. Sorry mods. SCUNTHORPE[/edit]

Take it off road and you'll *know* it belongs on road.

Bloody thing spat me off and broke my nose on the first serious nadgery bit. Then Simon told me I should take the screen off.

And lest I forget, those dry-plate car type clutches (as on the GS) are a pain, cos you can't slip them without them knacking.

DAMHIK. Suffice it to say my previous was a Suzuki (indestructible clutch) and that new BMW clutches cost 700 quid inc. fitting. :eek:

Jim.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
A piccy

alan1.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Although I hear that those BMWs make good roadbikes I would not fancy taking one of them offroad on anything other than a fire road.

I think they are a bit overweight for my tastes and not exactly upto the task.

Yes I do know that on The long way around they were taken round the world but lets face it, theres a bloke thats done that on an R1 :eek:

Think I will stick to proper offroad bikes for going offroad (I have two KX500 two stroke motocrossers although they are both now in need of slight attention) and my GSXR for onroad.
700 quid including fitting for a BMW clutch :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The reason I have a Pitbull racing hyperlink in my sig isn't cos I race fighting dogs by the way, it's a forum dedicated to KX 500s in various guises, from motocrosser, supermoto, desert racer, ice racer (with spikes, the nutters :eek: ) hare and hound scramble even through to one bloke that has a quad with a KX engine.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
demographic said:
Although I hear that those BMWs make good roadbikes I would not fancy taking one of them offroad on anything other than a fire road.

My nose concurs...

demographic said:
700 quid including fitting for a BMW clutch :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Paid under warranty :cool:

But I got *such* a withering look from the chief spanner. I swear he fitted:

"You brainless :censored: hooligan. That is not how we treat our precision German engineering you :censored: :censored: "

into a single glance :lmao:

Jim.

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
Just another slant on this thread and a tad devils advocate but anyway.

Never owned or ridden a BMW. However, the GS range are everbody's darling at the moment and do seem to have taken the attention away from more humble, yet no less practical and often better bikes.

The XT600 is one of the most popular overlanders around and has proven very reliable. It's much lighter than the 1150GS and more off-road friendly. The Transalp is another bike that is overlooked. Heavier than the XT, but smoother and better if you're doing a lot of travelling on tarmac. And it has probably the most reliable engine out there. Unburstable and that can't be said for BMW's, that are overhyped about their reiliability. The easiest way to check that out is to lurk on a Transalp or Africa Twin (another top bike) and a GS site. I guarantee you'll find far more griping about mechanical issues on the BMW site.

BTW I've owned both and XT and a TA.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I've got (and like very much) an BMW R850R, it's a brilliant all-round road bike, doing everything from touring to commuting with typical teutonic efficiency. I can't believe for one minute that it would ever make the basis of any kind of off-road bike, it is way too heavy by tonnes, I hope I never have to pick it up.
If overland travel is your thing, you'll do alot worse than spend a while browsing the www.horizonsunlimited.com bulletin boards, or attending one of their meets, where there plenty of opportunities to talk to people who have been everywhere on a bike. I think it was there somebody pointed out that once you get "off road" you'll not be doing much more than 50mph anyway so nothing bigger than a 350-650 single required. Big GS's are only needed if your travelling 2 up with luggage, and then there will be 2 of you to pick it up!

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
twelveboar said:
If overland travel is your thing, you'll do alot worse than spend a while browsing the www.horizonsunlimited.com bulletin boards,

Top website. :You_Rock_ Have any BCUKers tried buying a new Enfield from the factory in India then riding it back to the UK like the guy on www.horizonsunlimited.com ?

There's a secondhand one on Indian eBay at the mo priced at 18,000 Rupees or £226. Tempting...... :)

demographic said:
I think they are a bit overweight for my tastes and not exactly upto the task.

Back in the day, I worked for a firm which recovered total loss motorcycles for insurance firms. BMWs were a nightmare to collect because of their weight. We once collected a big touring model which had been stolen and recovered. The thieves had cut the brake lines out of spite. We discovered this during loading when the heavy bike rolled off our lorry's tilting bed despite having two people restraining it.... :eek:

We also recovered an F650 Funduro with fire damage. Turns out the owner was refuelling it but the petrol pump didn't click off when the tank was full. Just like in Long Way Round. Petrol overflowed from the tank and ignited on the hot engine. The rider had a lucky escape - needed major skin grafts but lived to ride another day. :eek:

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
In all seriousness, I fancy the idea of going out to India, getting hold of an Enfield, and touring round the North: Pakistan, Nepal, etc.. before coming home, they look to be the ideal bike for the region. I don't think I'd want to ride it home through europe, anymore than I'd want to ride my Beemer there. Horses for courses I suppose.
I've got the idea approved in principal for when the kids clear off, in about 5-7 years time.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
twelveboar said:
Have any BCUKers tried buying a new Enfield from the factory in India then riding it back to the UK?
I don't think they will have got back yet ;)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Perhaps it'd make more sense to buy an old Japanese bike like a KLR 650 in the UK then head out to India on that. :rolleyes: That way, the sun would be a little sunnier every time you woke up. :notworthy

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
twelveboar said:
Have any BCUKers tried buying a new Enfield from the factory in India then riding it back to the UK?
I don't think they will have got back yet ;)

I've a pal on Ixion who did so around 5 years ago (more now?)

He had a great time, and raised loads for charidee, but the bike was absolutely ridiculous - various parts made from cheese/plasticine rather than alloy etc. etc.

Not unlike the Russki numbers (Dnepr/Ural/Cossack) in that respect. They should all be fine for 30-40 MPH on some cart track/whatever, but all a bit substandard in the braking department for UK traffic conditions.

HTH,

Jim.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I was told that the great thing about Indian Enfields, there is a bloke on every street corner who can fix it. Which is handy as you only have to push it from one street corner to the next!
I have heard that they're a lot better these days, with better electrics and gearboxes. I think, I'll have to have a go on one first though.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
twelveboar said:
I was told that the great thing about Indian Enfields, there is a bloke on every street corner who can fix it. Which is handy as you only have to push it from one street corner to the next!
I have heard that they're a lot better these days, with better electrics and gearboxes. I think, I'll have to have a go on one first though.

Honda steppy 90 :)

The most widely used bike I know of

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Having spent two years as a courier on an oberbike, I would like to add my 2p's worth. The gs850rs is the best of the bunch. it's a flying armchair and capable of all day motorway speeds and pootling round town in heavy traffic. it is no harder to pick up than a GT750 and all the weight is low down, so it is not an issue. There are a few problems with them 1: the low tension ignition cable gets eaten by the front suspension regularly. 2: I have had two frames break, just behind the seatlock, and this is without a full touring load. 3: you will need to take a wheelbarrow full of cash with you, for when the computers fail! and I do not fancy your chances of finding one spare in tadjikistan! I would take one of mr. Honda's fine products and a little one at that.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
JimH said:
I've a pal on Ixion who did so around 5 years ago (more now?)

He had a great time, and raised loads for charidee, but the bike was absolutely ridiculous - various parts made from cheese/plasticine rather than alloy etc. etc.

Not unlike the Russki numbers (Dnepr/Ural/Cossack) in that respect. They should all be fine for 30-40 MPH on some cart track/whatever, but all a bit substandard in the braking department for UK traffic conditions.

HTH,

Jim.

Having spoken with a chap who owned an Enfield while living in India, I've gone off the idea of buying one from the factory and riding it back to the UK. Not to mention the issue of travelling through several Muslim countries on a Hindu registered motorcycle. May as well do the trip on an American Harley to make things really exciting. :AR15firin
bogflogger said:
I would take one of mr. Honda's fine products and a little one at that.
The local bike dealer's knocking out cheap Chinese replicas of small Honda models such as the C90, CG125, XL125 and XR200. There are loads of them on eBay too. I've just sold my fifteen year old Honda XR as a non runner for £300 :sadwavey: , so the prospect of a brand new one for under £900 is very tempting. Theoretically, Honda parts should fit the Chinese bike, so spares shouldn't be a problem. Or would I be better off spending my money on a ten year old Honda XR200? :dunno:

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
I have no experience of Chinese Honda copys, having said that, I would imagine that they are licence built and therefore identical in quality and design, to the original Honda specs. Probably worth a good look. (right, I'm off to ebay to check this out!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE