Bmw R1200gs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Anyone out there with a BMW R1200GS (or Adventure)?

I’m interested in any opinions of them, on and off road, GS or Adventure, old model or new, what extras you must have, any reviews of the new Adventure yet and how they stack up against the KTM, Triumph, Honda…

TA (even though I can't aford one yet :( )

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
A couple of mates from work thought about getting them for their MacGregor/Boorman style Bike tour. Not being super-rich celebrities with corporate sponsorship, they soon chose something else. It's all described on their website
Wrong Way Round (Clever, huh?)
It's quite good reading if you're interested in getting kitted out with a bike like that, and what else you should think about when picking gear. All in plain english too!

If you don't want to bother fighting through the rest of the site, the bike bit is here

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks for that, seen the site and the series, got the book and the DVD and the CD!

I was looking from none celeb, without BMW backing or road crew, experience of them. I’ve wanted one for years, but the series tipped me over the edge!

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
AJB said:
Thanks for that, seen the site and the series, got the book and the DVD and the CD!

I was looking from none celeb, without BMW backing or road crew, experience of them. I’ve wanted one for years, but the series tipped me over the edge!

Ah, but this isn't Ewan and Charlie's LONG WAY ROUND,
This site it Matt and Will's WRONG WAY ROUND....

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I’m sorry mate; I was scanning your message whilst some bugger was talking to me about work – of all things. It shouldn’t be allowed to get in the way!

Sorry about that – I’ll investigate

Andy

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hey bed man,

Thanks for that link, a brilliant and useful site and a pair of lucky (*&%*&$”

I sent them an email and I’m off to choose my biking shades next.

Thanks again

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
i had an R1150 awhile back, for a short period of time - about 2 days...

the bike was awesome on road, didnt have the chance to try it off. but they are massive! it was way to big for me (only got a 28" inside leag). i think they might be a bit to big offroad, i wouldnt like to try and pick one up on rough ground, try a 650 if your gonna do any serious off roading.

the reason i got rid wasnt to do with the bike, it was the dealer. they were'nt helpfull so i got rid. now've got a VFR 800 ('98), not so hot off road but nice on it.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
AJB said:
Hey bed man,

Thanks for that link, a brilliant and useful site and a pair of lucky (*&%*&$”

I sent them an email and I’m off to choose my biking shades next.

Thanks again

No probs! I was impressed with their site, because as you can see they're a bit hapless! Everyone in the office is well jealous of them (we have a book on which day one of them will be struck down with something nasty and tropical... :D )

Cheers,
Neil

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Bed Man,

Just had an email from your mates, somewhere in the New World. Sounds like they're having a blast. Nice Guy's

AJB

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Cool! Yeah, they're good lads. Somehow I thought they'd be too polite to survive Mexico but they've proved me wrong :p It must be the self-preservation skills developed from spending several years working in and around Basildon :D

(sorry to anyone from Basildon... ;) )

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
AJB said:
Anyone out there with a BMW R1200GS (or Adventure)?

I’m interested in any opinions of them, on and off road, GS or Adventure, old model or new, what extras you must have, any reviews of the new Adventure yet and how they stack up against the KTM, Triumph, Honda…

TA (even though I can't aford one yet :( )

I've had an 1150GS for going on 4 years. Fantastic road (and track!)bike, bit lardy for my level of incompetence off-road :eek:

The BMW luggage is strange (the black plastic stuff, not the allys on the newer 'uns) you may want to budget for Touratechs.

Extras: Garmin GPS, Givi tob-box (bodged), CRASH BARS, ABS (dunno if they do 'em without anymore. Used to. Terrifying!)

Just down the road from you as well, if you fancy a try (assuming you have a license and insurance)

Williams BMW give excellent test-rides of 3-4 hours per bike!

Jim.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
JimH said:
I've had an 1150GS for going on 4 years. Fantastic road (and track!)bike, bit lardy for my level of incompetence off-road :eek:

The BMW luggage is strange (the black plastic stuff, not the allys on the newer 'uns) you may want to budget for Touratechs.

Extras: Garmin GPS, Givi tob-box (bodged), CRASH BARS, ABS (dunno if they do 'em without anymore. Used to. Terrifying!)

Just down the road from you as well, if you fancy a try (assuming you have a license and insurance)

Williams BMW give excellent test-rides of 3-4 hours per bike!

Jim.

Hi Jim,

I’m starting to get the feeling you have life sorted! And if I find out you are sleeping with my ex, it will prove you have the life I want. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the information and the very kind offer, but I wouldn’t want to risk dropping a friend’s bike.

However, if we end up having a Northern meet up, you could come on it so I could stand in the car park an Oo and Arr at it. :D

Andy

ilovemybed said:
A couple of mates from work thought about getting them for their MacGregor/Boorman style Bike tour. Not being super-rich celebrities with corporate sponsorship, they soon chose something else. It's all described on their website
Wrong Way Round (Clever, huh?)
It's quite good reading if you're interested in getting kitted out with a bike like that, and what else you should think about when picking gear. All in plain english too!

If you don't want to bother fighting through the rest of the site, the bike bit is here
Don't quite know how I missed this thread :rolleyes: that's a great site with loads of good kit tips, they do look like they're having fun as well :D

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
AJB said:
Hi Jim,

I’m starting to get the feeling you have life sorted!

:D Been practicing, innit?

AJB said:
And if I find out you are sleeping with my ex, it will prove you have the life I want. :rolleyes:

Inexplicably, women do not seem to find my lifestyle as attractive as I do, so the chances are pretty damned slim, I should say. This is not a deliberate outcome :cool:

AJB said:
Thanks for all the information and the very kind offer, but I wouldn’t want to risk dropping a friend’s bike.

However, if we end up having a Northern meet up, you could come on it so I could stand in the car park an Oo and Arr at it. :D

Andy

It's been dropped by other fuc^W friends in the past. We're still friends. Did I mention the CRASHBARS are a good buy? :D

Ooing and Arring always welcomed, natch.

Jim.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi AJB, rode a friends 1150 gs last year. would probably loose my licence if it was mine! super bike. Downside is that you are tied to dealers for servicing as electronics rule. The very early models c 82 were 800 cc and reliable like your granny. much sought after :cool: these were superceeded in approx c 84 with a revised suspension (paralever) model and the engine cc went to 1000 although 800 was still available, most are 1000 cc. Various minor changes were made to fairings and brakes untill the 1100cc model appeared which has been superceeded with the 1150. my personal favorite is the paralever 1000gs. with careful hunting you will be able to find a good one with less than 40000 on the clock the engines are bullet proof and nearly all spares are available. They are simple to maintain as there is no exposed drive train also nothing is covered up or hidden behind things :eek: cant tell you prices as i'm well out of that kind of market nowdays but am willing to give advice if needed :D not a bike for short legs though!! although if dropped at traffic lights will rest at 45 degrees on cylinder head :eek: I had a honda xl 500 travelling in australia. most of the time my daily runs averaged 500 kilometers sore bum! Those people lucky enough to have a gs out there thought nothing of 700 or 800 ks a day, although some had sheepskin seat covers :cool:

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Swyn,

Thanks for all the information, I've yet to hear a bad thing about them (apart from the cost) which, at the moment, is the only thing stopping me enjoying myself.

Cheers

Andy

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
swyn said:
Downside is that you are tied to dealers for servicing as electronics rule. The very early models c 82 were 800 cc and reliable like your granny. much sought after :cool: these were superceeded in approx c 84 with a revised suspension (paralever) model and the engine cc went to 1000 although 800 was still available, most are 1000 cc.

Good info. Especially the point about the electronics. The R80GS and R100GS are much better off-roaders, too, unless you are a riding god (a friend of mine, Simon McCarthy, went overland to Japan[1] on his R100GS, and said he wouldn't fancy it on my 1150...)

Getting scarce, though, as you suggested. Some German outfit do superduper refurbs/Dakar customisations of the old GSes, which are superb, but dear again.

The UK GSer forum may be your friend: www.ukgser.com

(and remember to budget for CRASH BARS :D )

Jim.

[1] Not the wet bits...

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
All very useful stuff guys, thanks a lot.

Now, to put the cat amongst the pigeons, how would you rate the GS’s against the KTM Adventures?

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
AJB said:
All very useful stuff guys, thanks a lot.

Now, to put the cat amongst the pigeons, how would you rate the GS’s against the KTM Adventures?

I've never ridden a KTM, but have heard very good things about them from a couple of pals on Ixion (bike list).

Empirically, having ridden with them, the GS is a bit quicker on road (if that bothers you), offroad the KTM is better unless godhead beckons...

F. Tall, but a good bit lighter than a GS (surprise, surprise)

I have heard of reliability issues with the old Dukes &c, but not the Adventurer (bit soon after release yet)

I may be able to get you a briefing from one of the relevant Ixies if you'd like...

Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE