Bivi Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Hi Everyone can some one give me some advice on Bivi Bags i am thinking of getting the one on garys site http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/trading/shelter.htm are these the best for the dosh I will be using it with ether the woodlore autumn/winter sleeping bag or the nanok -10. If anyone has seen both these bags together which do you think is the better one considering quality size and price I no there both made by nanok but on paper the woodlore seems much smaller.

thanks for any help

MAL

PeterW

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2004
Nottinghamshire
mal said:
Hi Everyone can some one give me some advice on Bivi Bags i am thinking of getting the one on garys site http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/trading/shelter.htm are these the best for the dosh I will be using it with ether the woodlore autumn/winter sleeping bag or the nanok -10. If anyone has seen both these bags together which do you think is the better one considering quality size and price I no there both made by nanok but on paper the woodlore seems much smaller.

thanks for any help

MAL

Mal,

The Woodlore bag is very expensive, although I cannot comment on quality..!!! If you look at a Vango Nitestar 450, at around £40, you get equal performance. The nice thing being, if you get it damaged etc, you would consider chucking a £40 bag....

Look at when you will really use it, then decide if the extra £100 is really worth it.

Just my thoughts...

Cheers

Pete

Gail

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2005
Surrey
I have just today bought the snugpak lightweight bivvy bag which (it claims) is 100% waterproof and is breathable - apparently allowing 7.5 litres of moisture to evaporate over a 24 hour period. The cost was £54.

I have an army issue bivvy - but needed something lightweight to take for a camping trip to the Rockies, indeed this bivvy bag weighs 340g.

I have yet to put it to the acid test, I will cry if my Phd sleeping bag gets wrecked !

Check it out at www.countrytrails.co.uk

ciao

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The goretex bivvy on Garys' site has been used by Bill Oddies for quite a few years now. I have heard complaints about the sleeping bag, but the bivvy has never been complained about, and I have never had any problems with it personally. They are a simple but robust design, although I don't know how much they should cost, so cannot comment on wether it is pricey or a bargain.

I personally use snugpak dos bags. I have an old Discovery that I bought off of a guy who was skint. He bought it brand new and used it on an expedition up Kilimanjaro (sp?), I then used it up Mount Igman overlooking Sarajevo in 1995 during the winter. I stayed warm. My brother then took it to Norway, and I have proven it in Macedonia during the winter, and in the Falkland Islands many times. It has never let me down, but it's getting old, so I may replace it with a newer model.

I also own a softie 3 and 6, which can be used independantly, or coupled together to make the equivalent of a 9. A very versatile setup I think you'll agree.

miyakoboy

Aug 16, 2004
South Harting
i bought my full gortex bivvy bag from an army surplus a couple of years ago for about 60 notes. Its a german army one with extra length to put your ruck sack in. it has a couple more features than the one you linked too - ie adjustable hood, zipped section and inside pocket. it aslo has a double thick bottme section with a place holder for your thermarest too! it might be worth your while checking out victoria camping near victoria station (london). email me if you want the address or you can put it in google :)

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
yeh i use a british army bivi bag and have never had any trouble with it
well worth the mony i paid for it as its had plenty of use and it still looks like new
£45 in case your wondering it is easy to get in and out of windproof dry and keeps you that bit warmer
hope this helps

M

magicaltrevor

The only issue I have with the British Army bivi bag is the hood drawcord. It's hopeless! Admittedly I seldom have it pulled tight but when the protection was required I found it frustrating. To be fair, a better hood/draw string would increase the price and the problem is really down to the cut of the fabric.

Otherwise they're great. My mate has a French Army bivi bag which has a great hood which is elasticated. Don't know where he got it from though.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I will be using it with ether the woodlore autumn/winter sleeping bag or the nanok -10. If anyone has seen both these bags together which do you think is the better one considering quality size and price I no there both made by nanok but on paper the woodlore seems much smaller.

thanks for any help

MAL[/QUOTE]
Save yourself some weight, volume & cash and get an ME Military TDS. I realise "Ray" does'nt use one, but compare the spec.
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE