Bite relief

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Dunno if this is apt for this thread but here goes! Its my recipe for a medicinal massage bar which works just fab on most bites and skin irritations, smells amazing and I'll bet it'd be handy for firelighting too =)
4 tabs/ 3 floz Grapeseed (or vegetable or infused) oil*
2 oz Cocoa butter (broken into small chunks)
½ oz Beeswax
12 drops Lavender essential oil
• Put all the ingredients but the perfume oils into a pudding bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water.
• Melt gently together & remove from the heat.
• Cool for a minute or two off the saucepan, then add the essential oil.
• Stir well & pour into clingfilm- lined moulds of your choice.
• Leave to set for an hour then use!
*I first infuse the oil with chopped cleavers (sticky weed) by filling a pudding bowl with them, adding rapeseed (vegetable) oil and heating over a saucepan of boiling water until the oil took a green tinge- about 1-1 ½ hr.

Dunno if this is apt for this thread but here goes! Its my recipe for a medicinal massage bar which works just fab on most bites and skin irritations, smells amazing and I'll bet it'd be handy for firelighting too =)
4 tabs/ 3 floz Grapeseed (or vegetable or infused) oil*
2 oz Cocoa butter (broken into small chunks)
½ oz Beeswax
12 drops Lavender essential oil
• Put all the ingredients but the perfume oils into a pudding bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water.
• Melt gently together & remove from the heat.
• Cool for a minute or two off the saucepan, then add the essential oil.
• Stir well & pour into clingfilm- lined moulds of your choice.
• Leave to set for an hour then use!
*I first infuse the oil with chopped cleavers (sticky weed) by filling a pudding bowl with them, adding rapeseed (vegetable) oil and heating over a saucepan of boiling water until the oil took a green tinge- about 1-1 ½ hr.

interesting, i shall give this a go

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Home made Plantain Balm works well for most bites.

Infuse olive oil with plantain leaves.
Filter through muslin
Add pure beeswax slowly, taking setting "samples regularly" (drizzle a bitonto cold platefrom freezer like making jam)
Pour into lip balm tins and allow to set.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Meadowseet helps with pain too doesn't it? If it works topically as well, thats a top tip there m8! Brilliant to have some more useful medicinal recipes too, gonna try your method stuey :)

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Hi TurboGirl :)

Ive not used meadowsweet personally so cant say really but ive read it work for pain... you could do a cocktail of plantain and meadowsweet!
I reckon my method is exactly the same as yours but not as refined!! ;)
It makes a balm a little more solid and far less sticky than Vaseline lip balm. I got the lip balm tins from ebay. Perfect size to chuck in your pocket or pack and when its quite new you can slather it on with the tin! Great for nettle stings, scrages or anything else really :)

The very first batch I made I packed the plantain leaves into a jar contaning olive oil and left it in the sun for a couple of weeks then strained it, heated it and added wax to thicken it. Your way if infusing the oil is way quicker and much more convenient.

I wish I could give you exact aamounts of wax but it really is trial and error adding a small amount at a time until you get the required consistency on your cold plate.

The above method works with most plants apart from the very watery ones like Aloe vera in which case you are best making a water based gel.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Here in Italy we have a very good product with a mix of low dose capsaicin and aldemidrol. Very useful. Howewer, only for pain, also the lidocaine based product are useful

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I use the steel handle end of a spoon or knife dipped in boiling water for ten seconds. You then thrust it onto the bite, take the pain for a split second and then enjoy the amazing relief that follows. It works exceptionally well.

Tried this yesterday. Now have a large burn blister on my leg :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE