Bite relief

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Which are the best relief creams/lotions on the Market.

When I get bitten I tend to use pinewoods cream but I think my body has got use to it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I use the steel handle end of a spoon or knife dipped in boiling water for ten seconds. You then thrust it onto the bite, take the pain for a split second and then enjoy the amazing relief that follows. It works exceptionally well.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Heat works for me too - I tend to pour hot water on the bite (or hold it under the hot tap). Think the heat breaks down the poison and also brings the blood to the surface to help dissipate it

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eurax.

It stops the itch, it eases the swelling, and it gives me peace :)

Failing that.....crushed cleavers or goosegrass (had enough sticky willie jokes :rolleyes:) works remarkably well, as does meadowsweet.

cheers,
Toddy

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i seem to be getting bitten more and more these days, i never used to at all, not sure what's changed.
i've been using boots' own brand "bite & sting relief anithistamine cream", apparently the active ingredient is mapyramine maleate, about £3.50 for a 30g tube IIRC, it works pretty well for me

HTH

stuart

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I'm almost afraid to say this, but some people swear by Preparation H for insect bites. After all, it is for stopping itch and reducing swelling.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have a 'sting clicker' like this - - it gives you a kinda pezto? shock and seems to work ok (when I remember to use it) to be honest the most common sting I get is nettle which it is no use for

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Brand name really doesn't matter. Just make sure the itch relieving ingredient is 1% hydrocortizone (for itchy bites)

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
LoL!

It works really, really well... If I get a mozzie/horse fly bite, it reacts badly and I get yellow itchy lumps. A quick scratch to open the bite, a drop of vinegar on the area and no more itching.

I have no idea why, but it works every time. Just cured an unexplained bite on my arm with vinegar thats been playing up for a day or so. No itching anymore and healing nicely after just a couple of hours since treatment.

al.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I use the steel handle end of a spoon or knife dipped in boiling water for ten seconds. You then thrust it onto the bite, take the pain for a split second and then enjoy the amazing relief that follows. It works exceptionally well.

Thanks JD this worked for me today, I was bitten on Sunday and it was giving me gip until the hot spoon trick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE