bison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Guys I have been using a bison woodcraft knife for the last few weeks and while there are a few discrepancies it thus far seems to be very good - being of thinner stock it is better for utility work i.e in the kitchen and carving.

Once Im happy i have tested it thoroughly i will post review.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I've ordered one of the Bison knives, should get it around April. I'm getting the missus a Lapp Puuko too :-D She uses an old Mora when we go camping and when I showed her the Lapp (and it's "pretty" sheath) she wanted one. She also wants me to buy a Land Rover Carawagon next year.........God I love that woman :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
What handle are you getting on your Bushcraft? I got walnut and birch.

Adi

maddave said:
I've ordered one of the Bison knives, should get it around April. I'm getting the missus a Lapp Puuko too :-D She uses an old Mora when we go camping and when I showed her the Lapp (and it's "pretty" sheath) she wanted one. She also wants me to buy a Land Rover Carawagon next year.........God I love that woman :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I find it nice an solid and a bit heavier than the birch handle. It's a strong blade and the 3mm stock makes it a nice utility blade.

I like it! :-D

Gary said:
Walnut seems a nice choice.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'm going for the Yew handle on mine....Like the colour and feel of yew.

Oh and here's a piccie i've hosted of Bob's knife for you all to have a "butchers" at !!. :wink:

bobsknife.jpg

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Thanks for putting that up MD.

In case anyone is wondering why a piccie of a Mora is up, it's because that's the only piccie I've got that shows the sheath. Not a bad knife for less than a tenner though!

If you cast your mind (or browser!) back towards the start of this thread, you will find my post describing the sheath I made which contains part of the original plastic sheath that came with the Mora.

Someone asked to see a piccie of this but I couldn't put one up. Mad Dave kindly volunteered to post it - many thanks.

Bob :-D

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I love that sheath Bob. I'm currently making a sheath for a Frosts Clipper from an old pair of shoes and some dental floss :-D. It even has a firesteel holder :lol:.

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
Bob said:
My reckoning in using a leather cord was that it could double as the 'string' in a firebow. I haven't used it in this capacity yet so perhaps somone else can comment on whether leather is a good material for this - I'd be interested to know (thanks).
I've had mixed results using leather laces on a bow drill. They provide an excellent grip on the spindle, but you have to be sure the ones you carry are up to the task. Test one before relying on it! I bought some from Wal Mart that wore thin and broke just as the smoke started. :evil: They looked just like any other leather boot lace. On the other hand, our good friend, Fred Flanagan, and I had great success using a leather lace he provided for one of our practice outings. We used it for about 45 minutes straight and it was still in fine condition.

Here are a few pics from that firemaking session. Too bad I didn't get a shot of the bowstring after we finished. :roll: We are using an unsheathed TOPS Laser Strike as a bearing block (the edge is facing away from our shins). The Laser Strike has a divot in the Micarta scale for that specific purpose. The first shot is Fred spinning away (notice Fred's unique stance), the second is me having a go. The third is my ember in the tinder bundle, and the last is quite obvious. :wink: In case anyone is wondering, that's a Kellam Wolfin handle on the far right of the frame.

323431-Image085a.jpg

323432-Image093a.jpg

323433-Image095a.jpg

323434-Image097a.jpg

Edit: Forgot to say to Bob that your leather SWAK sheath is very cool. :cool:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Powderburn said:
The first shot is Fred spinning away (notice Fred's unique stance):cool:

Yeah, very interesting and I need to try it! It would add the weight of the leg and could still be well braced in the back of the knee. I imagine though that the spindle would have to be just the right length for it to work.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
PB,

Nice photo's, the Kellam Wolverine, was that Fred's knife ?

Also, I haven't heard from Fred lately, but heard about severe winter conditions in Michigan, I just hope he's not in trouble with powerlines down etc.

Cheers,

Bagheera

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
Tony said:
I imagine though that the spindle would have to be just the right length for it to work.
For the most part, that is true. I find that position difficult because I have short legs, which requires a really short spindle. It is solid, though.

Piet, of course that's Fred's knife. I can only afford SWAKs and Clippers. :wink: I haven't heard from him lately, either. We've had quite a bit of snow, but there haven't been any power outages in town. I think he's just really busy with work. One of his managers got injured and Fred has to fill in until she recovers. He told me she'd be out about 10 weeks. Meanwhile, we're still trying to arrange a meeting that was supposed to take place between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That boy works too much. :shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE