bison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Y

yowee

has anybody tried any of the bison bushcraft knives, they look like direct copies of the woodlore knife, and not stunningly cheaper, but I've not heard anything on the quality, any help or advice on the knives is appreciated, I've done two courses with woodsmoke (brilliant instructors) the last being the nomad course, and I am still using the frost knife until I get better at sharpening, so I am looking to get a better knife hopefully with a better sheath, any ideas?

Cheers

J

Jamie

Hiya Yowee and welcome to bushcraftUK!

I have to say that I dont know much about the Bison blades except that they are very good. The knife I use, and am very pleased with is the Kellam Wildfinn Puukko (they also do one called the Wolverine which is a bit more expensive). Lovely blades to use.

All the best

Jamie

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Roger's knives are very nice to handle - extremely solid, very rugged and nicely finished. It isn't a direct copy, BTW, just a case of similar-tasked knives ending up at a logical design conclusion (and I hope that if I've mis-remembered that, either Roger or Alan will be quick enough to let me know to correct it?)

I did the intro course a few weeks back with Roger - it is reassuring having the maker encouraging you to hit the knife harder as it'll take it...
:-D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Hi and welcome to BCUK

The bison blades are not direct copies of the woodlore knife..... Roger (the man from bison) was a student of woodlore back in 1994 (i think) so you see the resembalance....... but they are different. Most bison blades use 3mm tool steel making them lighter than the woodlore (4mm chunky) and easier to wear round the neck (aswell as other things) also they have different blade and handle sizes. I guess roger designed his knives for what he wanted out of a knife.

I don't own either but I know people who own them and they are very happy with them.

Hope this is some help to you..... enjoy

Ed

Y

yowee

Thanks for the remarkably quick feedback, I guess as someone who is not to familiar with different knife styles, there seems a bewildering array of designs out there, the problem is that getting hold of the knives seems to require buying them online, so that if its to big, or the style doesn't suit your grip it's really a bit too late. And the costs on some seem quite high I know you have to pay for handmade items (and that aspect of it being handmade is part of the attraction) but is it really that much better? For instance is the woodlore or bison knife at abou £150 that much better than something like the Kelham Lapp Puukko at £30.00, thanks all for the advice it's good to find people that are willing to help.

cheers

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
I too still use the frost knife and am happy with it except the sheath as mentioned, have snaffled some leather from a local tack maker and am hoping to make my own, will let you know how it goes......

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Yowee,

Have a look at the reviews section of this site and see the lapp and the woodlore knives compared.

The bison and woodlore knives are expensive (some people may disagree) but you can be sure that with the waiting list on both of them you will eaisly sell a second hand one to someone who can't wait.

I have seen an American makers knives (Gene Ingram) going for $50 more on a site that has a stock of them than from his own site which has a waiting list.

You might be interested (like I am) in the new knives on Ray Mears' site which are by wilkinson sword and made in much bigger quantities. However to confuse people like us Ray has called them 'Bushcraft' just like the bison knives. Who is copying who?

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Ally

I too still use a Frosts knife and made a sheath for it for around a fiver using an offcut from a local leather / shoe repair shop.

I wanted a sheath I could wear around my neck that would also house my firesteel so I based it on the Ray Mears sheath with one slight difference - I used part of the plastic sheath the knife came with!

This might sound a bit odd but those plastic sheaths - for all their faults - do have one good advantage - the knife 'clicks' into place and will not come out until you deliberately remove it.

I cut off all the top part of the sheath and then moulded the leather around it; this also meant I could effectively sew the sheath up and not bother with riveting as the blade would not cut through the leather. I left enough surplus leather to create a pocket for the firesteel and finished the whole thing off with a leather 'lace' so I can wear it. Incidentally, I used a prussik knot at each end so I can alter the cord length.

My reckoning in using a leather cord was that it could double as the 'string' in a firebow. I haven't used it in this capacity yet so perhaps somone else can comment on whether leather is a good material for this - I'd be interested to know (thanks).

I've also since learnt that it's not a good idea to store a knife in a leather sheath (from a post elsewhere on this site) - anyone know why this is?! If true, then this sheath may overcome that particular 'problem' as well.

I do have a digital piccie of the knife and sheath but I'm afraid I not sure how you put pictures into these posts. If someone would be so kind as to post how you do it then I'll load it up for you to look at - that might help!

Bob :-D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
bob... Leather cord will make an excellent cord for a fire drill!! I always carry a leather boot lace in my firestarting pouch :)

As for storing a blade in its sheath... well leather sucks up moisture from the air so probably not a good idea to store a knife long term in a leather sheath especialy in damp / wet climates.

Ed

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
most of the storing knife in leather sheath problems really apply to carbon steel blades, most stainless knives will shrug 'em off no problem.

i have a fair few knives, one of my all time favourites are the frosts vikings, sort of similar to the frosts deck knife but a bit smaller and handier. unglamorous perhaps, but still one of the most effective for "knifelike tasks" ok, you wouldn't want to pry up a manhole cover with one...

cheers, and.

R

Ross

Hey,
i have a Bison Bushcraft knife and have found it to be very well made and it can easily stand up to heavy splitting. i did however find the sheath too tight and the knive was difficult to get out, especially in the wet. it has losened up a bit after rubbing in alot of saddle soap! its definately a good strong knife and well worth it!
Ross

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Thanks Chris for instructions on how to put in a photo. Unfortunately it appears I don't have any free webspace to upload it onto! Having read all the notes and instructions given by the provider, I failed to find any allocated space - perhaps they didn't give it away in my particular 'package' (I did join a few years ago!)

So, unless anyone knows of another method, all I can suggest is if anyone wants to see the photo that they send me a message and I'll email it to them. It is a 322KB JPG file.

Bob :-?

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I own both the Bison Bushcraft original bushcraft knife and the Alan Wood/Ray Mears knife. Both are very good quality, the former as commented by others is lighter and smaller in dimension. Recently, I have tended to favour the Woodlore knife, but this is purely a personal preference. I went for the staghorn handle option on the Bison knife, which I must say I adore. I'm sure if you were to order a knife from Roger you would not be disappointed, and remember he can make it to your own specifications.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
For comparison.

The Bison Bushcraft knife:
1.jpg

The ray Mears Woodlore Knife
Woodlore_Knife.gif

Hope this helps :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE