Birch tree diseased, or just old?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blutack

Nov 21, 2007
Glasgowish
I took these photos last weekend of a tree near Coylumbridge (Aviemore).

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

What do you think folks - is it a disease that's caused the bark to become pitted like this, or is it just really old?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Looks old to me. Probably become like that due to exposure to the elements. Difficult to tell without seeing the land that comes with it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I love the nobbly bits on those old trees, I had a brilliant 4ft oil painting of a tree like that, unfortunately it was left on the front wall of an ex girlfriend :(

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Thanks Guys, We thought maybe it had seen Ray comming, and REALLY didn't want to end up as a canoe! :)

Thats why we can't make birch bark canoes in this country, cause the big ones usually end up cracking, and even the younger ones have flaws in them which makes them unsuitable. Sadly :eek:

Blutack

Nov 21, 2007
Glasgowish
Plenty of deer about I should think, but I didn't see any fungi (snow still lying). Hard to tell how healthy the growth was as no leaves at the moment, but the tree was definitely still living.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Just an old specimen the bark goes like that with age, took a 40ft one down once and the bark was like that till about 12ft up.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
yup thats normal on silver birch, there's stuff round here 30-40 years old and they all show some signs of this. pretty common tbh.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE