Best way of making fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is the best way of making fire?

• Flint & Steel

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Friction

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • matches

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • lighter

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • firestick

Votes: 32 30.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 22, 2006
uk
strike-a-light because the action / sound of it is somehow slightly theraputic - probably because its so reliable.

also: using the maginfying lense on silva compass, dunno why - economy of kit etc i guess!

good bow drill that doesnt take a jiffy to get going is always the most satisfying to me - although i've never tried the fire-plough.
everyone loves it when the bow works easily, especially the person on the end of it!

David Moulds

May 3, 2005
Belfast N.Ireland
rich59 said:
The best way is the one that gives you most satisfaction, i.e. you have painstakingly learned the technique over months of practice, had to work at it and overcome some hurdles, hunted out the materials, worked up a sweat, got some blisters, nearly failed..... but finally you get a glowing coal and it goes out, so you start again and get a coal quicker and succeed in getting the fire this time and coax it to take your kindling and eventually get your supper on. Better than your common or garden quick fires any day.............

Hand drill!!!!!!!!!!!
Couldn't put it better myself. :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
My all time favourite isn't here, a condom full of petrol smothered in vaseline, wire wool and a car battery.

A very old friend of mine (in both senses of the word) used to love running Scout Campfires, he must have know every song going and a few that nobody else had ever heard of, but his speciality was the way he started the fire.

When the audince arrived he told them that the wood was too wet to burn and that the camp fire was over, unless they could warm it up by cheering it. Of course the did, louder and louder until POOF! It burst into flames.

The secret was that the fire was built hollow, and in that was a fistful or wire wool and a length of old mains cable with a couple of large crocodile clips on each end. You may not have seen this but when you pass enough current through wire wool it catches fire, which was the plan.

At a pre-arranged signal (he would scratch his head) his assistant (sometimes me) who was hiding some distance away behind a bush would wait until the next loud cheer, connect the battery and the wire wool caught fire.

This was all well and good but sometimes it wouldn't catch so you started you teased the wire wool through vaseline which burns like crazy, but to make double sure you put a condom full of petrol under the wire. As soon as there was a flame the condom burst and the flame fell into a pool of petrol, making a very satisfactory woof and the fire would start as if by magic. The crowd were always taken back and suprised, it worked so well, right up until Milenium Camp, May 2000.

This was a huge fire, for 600 people, so it was bigger than normal plus it had been raining so we decided that we needed more than one condom. Officially I think it was 3, but my brother maintains it was nearer 10.

The run up was the same as always, many people knew what was coming and looked foward to the start, and boy there were not dissapointed.

All I can remeber was seeing my friend standing in front of the fire and WHHHOOOOMMPPFFF, suddenly he was shiloutted in a light so bright and hot that for a second you couldn't see him. Bits of wood flew up in the air and spiralled down everywhere. Kids screamed, leaders screamed, I screamed and then every body cheered not realising it had gone wrong!!

We had three quick songs and went back to our tents as it was so wet. Later that night we noticed the back of his anorak had melted.

He carried on with the trick right up until his death a few years back, but after that he used a bag of rabbit hay instead of petrol, which was slower but still worked and got an "Ohh" rather than a "what the :censored:"

Stuart MacD

Jul 17, 2006
Newcastle-upon-tyne
thing is i use a few ways. if its gd weather i'll try the firesteel or fire by friction ways but if weathers bad nd i'm cold i'll use a lighter, but if i had to vote the firesteel is best because i find it more fun

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Great tale about the condoms! Many years ago was shown a "trick" where by chewing cotton wool made fire.... This involved getting a small pile of cotton wool buds reday for your audience, and then puttin gone in your mouth and start chewing, then while no one was watching or with an assistant, break the red end off a cigaette, and wrap it in a piece of cotton wool, pop it in your mouth, still chewing. Then continue putting more pieces in your mouth, and of course, now breathing out through your mouth, and in through your nose. Eventually, sparks would appear from your mouth like a dragon!! :eek: Carry on as long as you dare, then spit it out, sometimes on fire!! Please folks, don't try this, it's very dangerous, and if the moderators don't like, please edit. Just an amusing tale from my past :rolleyes: Thanks, Andy...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE