Best folding Bushcaft blade ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'd take a good look at the Spyderco UKPK mate. The only thing that worried me about using them for bushcrafty type stuff was not being able to strike on a firesteel with a locked blade, but I got round that by using the Spydie hole instead :D I find it fits my hands very well, and I reckon it would fit yours too.

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
steven andrews said:
Its a legal thing.. a knife that locks is technically illegal to carry.

Illegal without a good reason. Now if your carrying for bushcraft and as such in the countryside etc that could be seen as a good reason - but its upto the cop at the time etc (check British Blades law section for the pandoras box of legal carry issues)

So the question has to be why have a non-locking folder if your intended use environment gives you grounds for reasonable excuse to carry? If its transport, then a locking box in the boot of the car or a locking suitcase or box in the bottom of a rucksack etc will go some way to ellaying faers if you are stop and searched (again, see the BB law forum).

Also its not just locking, its a size issue in the UK. Any plus 3 inch bladed knife, folding, or locking is technically illegal etc, so the Opinel No.10 which I think is 3.5-4 inch blade is a no-go regardless of lock so why bother removing the locking ring?

Rgds

EDIT: SHOULD HAVE REALISED THIS WAS A THREE PAGE THREAD, SORRY FOR THE REPETITION - DOH!

pumbaa said:
That i might have got away with ! :D
Basicly lost my rag and gobbed off ! Was asking for help for stress , depresion and anger managment at the GPs and it all went a bit pete tong . like i said before , stupid thing to do . Made worse by my Knife collection and the fact i had Some Ganja on me when arrested . Mind you the fraustrating thing is that since then i have been tripping over help . Have also banged the Ganja on the head (it was getting a big problem ) and am under D.D.A.A.S for counciling and support .
Pumbaa

Sorry to hear that mate,i hope things work out.
I suffered with post traumatic stress disorder for awhile when i left the army so i can sort of understand what your going through.

Good luck :)

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Thank you for the support , i am still not sure i deserve it as at the end of the day i lost control and still feel a ***** for what i did . At least things are moving in a positive direction . D.D.A.A.S. is a real eye opener , the mess that most people get in through drug abuse is rather extreme .

Cheers
Pumbaa

Moose

Feb 20, 2005
Torquay
Hi Pumbaa,

you mention owning some Saks. I also own a regular Huntsman which I found too small/delicate to use comfortably for bushcrafty stuff.

Have you thought about the Victorinox Farmer, or the older Mauser and Gak/Safari Trooper models? All are legal edc :D and all are by far more robust then regular slipjoint Saks ;) . The Mauser and Gak (German Army Knife) are noticeably larger then the Farmer and other regular size Saks, (Theirs is the biggest class of slipjoints Victorinox make I think) and all have thicker primary blades and stiffer backsprings, as well as a bushcraft friendly woodsaw! :p

Other companies produce copies of the Gak which are relatively cheap and available :rolleyes: . The Farmer also benefits from the same aluminium handle scales as the Soldier model.

Imho no other legal edc's offer as much value for money as the aforementioned. Even paying $80 for an american imported (NIB) Mauser will be cheaper then buying the equally superlative but sawless UKPK (£50+). It would also be a more bushcrafty choice imo. For general edc however, I highly recommend (and carry, along with my Mauser) the UKPK.

Goodluck,

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
theres a lot of talk about 'legal' folding blades here.. but if your looking for a folder for bushcraft, and bushcraft at the right place/time is a good enough reason to legally carry a fixed blade the it is surly a good enough reason to carry a locking 3inch+ folder too :)

Moose

Feb 20, 2005
Torquay
It is true that bushcraft is a perfectly good reason to carry a fixed blade or locking folder.

However given Pumbaa's recent experiences with the law, there maybe a higher risk of having those type of knives confiscated by the less reasonable officers of the local constabulary. True, slipjoints too could be confiscated if the good constable was so inclined, but chances are you're in a better postion to contest that decision via due process. Either way, having had an unfortunate time with the law of late, imho the less opportunity to quibble the issue the better in this case. I suppose it depends on the response anticipated to this 'good reason' and how often one is likely to be stop checked whilst out being bushcrafty in the local area.

Also, I am no expert but I understand that the famous outdoorsman Nessmuk included a slipjoint as one of the edged tools he carried for bushcraft, granted, it was along with a fixed blade and an axe, but my point is if you are going to use a folder it needn't be locking (one adjusts their technique accordingly). If a fixed blade is decided upon (and it is universally recommended as the best bushcraft option for a knife) maybe a cheap sheeple friendly fixed blade mora could be a way to go for the time being. Easy to get hold of, does'nt break the bank if lost or confiscated, and very much up to the job (throw in a small axe and a folder and you're all set).

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
How can a folder not be a bushcraft blade? Lets lay a Wetterliing axe and a SAK on a blanket next to reproductions of Oetzi's copper axe and hafted flint knife. Now lets sprinkle some magic dust on old Oetzi and bring him back to life. I'd love to listen to his comments on how far we've advanced.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Moose ,
That is exactly where i am coming from , I don't even want a slap on the wrist !! One of the officers that searched my house was bit analy retentive and "Everything " was illeagal in his opinion, even my Granfors !! I feel i should add that it was all stored/displayed in a sensible manner and none of them have left the house .
One of my favorite multi purpose blades is a Kukri , they make a good allrounder if you do not want to carry an axe or machette (thats what they are used for in nepal) . However not sheeple freindly as you put it , so i wont use it or carry it .
I own 3 sak's a hunter kit (with torch and compass thingy) , a champ xlt ( ebay bargin with blades missing) and an old one i was given as a kid (not sure on the model but it has a can opener/screwdriver on the end of the saw) . These my gerber pro scout and my leatherman wave were left . So the police must have seen these as ok .
The whole incident just adds to the desire to dissapear into the woods for ever ( just dont think the wife would be too impressed )
I like the idea about a mora , seriously considering getting one .
Cheers
Pumbaa

Moose

Feb 20, 2005
Torquay
Fare thy well Pumbaa :D .

Oh by the way, that old Sak you mentioned sounds like it may be from the same 'Safari series' as the Mauser and Gak I mentioned earlier- the only Saks I know of with a combined saw/can opener/screwdriver tool. 108mm in length compared to the 91mm of their regular size slipjoint blades.

( give the dark side an inch..... :rolleyes: )

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
For anybody that might be interested , i received my sentence today .
I got a 2yr suspended sentence , and consider myself extremely lucky for getting that .
I will also have my ugly mug in the western gazete tomorrow (thursday 15th september)

Pumbaa

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
pumbaa said:
That i might have got away with ! :D
Basicly lost my rag and gobbed off ! Was asking for help for stress , depresion and anger managment at the GPs and it all went a bit pete tong . like i said before , stupid thing to do . Made worse by my Knife collection and the fact i had Some Ganja on me when arrested . Mind you the fraustrating thing is that since then i have been tripping over help . Have also banged the Ganja on the head (it was getting a big problem ) and am under D.D.A.A.S for counciling and support .
Pumbaa
hello :)
just wanted to say well done for getting help. Its a shame that with the way the n.h.s is run the doctors and nurses are often restricted in what they can do (for any illness) until its reached crisis point. You shouldn't feel bad for being stressed and not managing your anger when that is why you were seeking help in the first place . Stress and depression are suprisingly common and really responsive to treatment . It sounds like you're making really positive steps and not smoking should help alot!
good luck and all the best :)

Moose

Feb 20, 2005
Torquay
happy camper said:
hello :)
just wanted to say well done for getting help. Its a shame that with the way the n.h.s is run the doctors and nurses are often restricted in what they can do (for any illness) until its reached crisis point. You shouldn't feel bad for being stressed and not managing your anger when that is why you were seeking help in the first place . Stress and depression are suprisingly common and really responsive to treatment . It sounds like you're making really positive steps and not smoking should help alot!
good luck and all the best :)

I'll second that :)

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Thank you to you all for your support , it helps to know that i am headed down the right path at last , and that i am getting my "issues" sorted out .
Its been quite a journey , i have gone from suicidal to feeling quite positive about sorting this mess out . It concerns me that the lack of support that i was recieving from my old GP could be happening to others though ( but thats not my battle anymore) . Should be getting my Granfors and knife back soon , so its off to the woods for some reflection time .
Once again thanks , didnt realise that so many decent people could congragate on one forum .
BCUK and its members are great and just reading what you lot have been upto has left me with a bootmark on my backside that i needed desperately .

Cheers

Pumbaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE