Best folding Bushcaft blade ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I know the woodlore knifes are considered the best for bushcraft by most if not all of you . I am considering getting a new knife just for Bushcraft . So i am looking for something that is folding but not a lockknife . I have a couple of SAKs but want something stronger .
Any ideas or recomendations ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
You might want to check out:

Cold Steel Twistmaster, which is a Carbon V Opinel-copy.

Or, you can buy a large Opinel, size 10 will do nicely. The lock will pop off very easily, and it will then become a regular folder. The steel is excellent, with amazing cutting power.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Opinel, design wise. I do like the steel, but I've found that the handle doesn't balance out the weight of the blade all that well, and the twist lock leaves something to be desired. When I first bought one (I've been through 3 of them) I took it to my neighbour, who is an old-school hunter/bushcrafty kind of guy, he took one look at it and said "Nice blade Adam, but I've used one of these before, and almost lost a finger when the lock slipped."

There's lots of threads on this board about modifying the Opinel, but personally I don't think it does a whole lot of good to the knife.

Please keep in mind that the Opinel has been around for well over a hundred years, and it is inside the New York Museum of Modern Art under the "100 Most Beautiful Objects in the World" display.

It is what it is.

A.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Look for the folding knives made by Shing over on british blades. the blades are heavy duty and they are very well made. The D2 model will throw a hell of a spark on a fero rod (use it with the blade folded of course).

There is the UKPK which is nice and has one hand opening, but isn't as heavy duty and I find the handle painful when making feather sticks.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Squidders said:
I got an EKA folder and modified it with a dremmel... it now doesn't lock... I think its sweet.
Yup! I go with the EKA folder too, though I haven't had the confidence to modify mine as it's such a nice knife and I don't want to destroy it! My other is the UK Penknife - not perfect, but sheeple - friendly :(

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
stotRE said:
I may sound like a complete green horn but why would you want a folder that dosen't lock?

Is it for safety or is it for another bushcraft use?

Is it better to lock or not lock?

Its a legal thing.. a knife that locks is technically illegal to carry.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
You might want to spend a little time checking up on the law over at British Blades

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8336

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2011

It is not illegal to carry a locking folder if you have a "good reason". If you are out bushcrafting in the woods (or can prove that you are on your way there or back) you have a good reason. You are not allowed to carry a fixed blade without good reason either.

Anyway I don't want to get into all the vagueries of the law but it is worth reading up on.

Rebel said:
You might want to spend a little time checking up on the law over at British Blades

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8336

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2011

It is not illegal to carry a locking folder if you have a "good reason". If you are out bushcrafting in the woods (or can prove that you are on your way there or back) you have a good reason. You are not allowed to carry a fixed blade without good reason either.

Anyway I don't want to get into all the vagueries of the law but it is worth reading up on.

Cheers Rebel :)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
pumbaa said:
I know the woodlore knifes are considered the best for bushcraft by most if not all of you . I am considering getting a new knife just for Bushcraft . So i am looking for something that is folding but not a lockknife . I have a couple of SAKs but want something stronger .
Any ideas or recomendations ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

I sort of want to echo what some one else said, why do you want a non-locking folder for Bushcraft?

The Frost Mora would seem to make more sense.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Let me explain . I am currantly going through more hassle than i care to repeat , in that after doing something incredibly stupid my house was searched by the police . They have taken my entire knife collection including my lock knife and Granfor . There was nothing there that you could not buy today , but its still not a nice experience . So as all they left where my Gerber pro scout , leatherman wave and 3 SAKs , it has made me think that a strong folder that i could legaly carry might be the sensible option . Hence the question .
Cheers
Pumbaa

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
That i might have got away with ! :D
Basicly lost my rag and gobbed off ! Was asking for help for stress , depresion and anger managment at the GPs and it all went a bit pete tong . like i said before , stupid thing to do . Made worse by my Knife collection and the fact i had Some Ganja on me when arrested . Mind you the fraustrating thing is that since then i have been tripping over help . Have also banged the Ganja on the head (it was getting a big problem ) and am under D.D.A.A.S for counciling and support .
Pumbaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE