Berghaus Canvas Rucksack Purchase - Advice On Proofer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Hi Guys

Just managed to purchase a vintage Berghaus canvas rucksack. I was wondering if anyone has bought something similar i.e. old canvas and had used a reproofer on it. I am thinking perhaps something like the Canvas proofer used by Frost River, or perhaps the Fjallraven waterproof wax. Any thoughts about this? Thanks.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Fjallraven wax works well & is easy to apply - just melt it in with a hairdryer. Much as I hate them you might still be better with a waterproof bergan cover though. Which model did you get a Cyclops Roc?

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Fjallraven wax works well & is easy to apply - just melt it in with a hairdryer. Much as I hate them you might still be better with a waterproof bergan cover though. Which model did you get a Cyclops Roc?

Hi

Thanks for the info. Have you used this on canvas rucksack? Did it darken it at all? Yes it was Cyclops Roc, with side pockets. Looks to be around 50/60L +15. Regards.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
The wax will darken it and stiffen it, if you dont mind the darkening but dont want the material to ge stiff maybe try barbours thornproof dressing.

Thanks. Was thinking about wax cotton dressing, but am debating whether the greenland wax might give a "drier" finish as opposed to a "sticky" Barbour finish, and it waxing up everything it comes into contact with.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dry bag liners are my preferred system as well.
Covers are OK ... but do not cover the harness side, so water can get in there!

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Would much prefer the use of a dry bag than cover. I think a good treatment of wax will keep out the majority of bad weather, with the dry bag keeping all kit totally dry. I think this Cyclops Roc is probably around 50-60L, having compared to a 30L pack. It does cinch down nicely. I think this rucksack is probably late 70s early 80s so probably was a Falklands favourite with the troops. I certainly think that the canvas mixed with more "modern" material of the day give a great look for out in the woods today. Is in usual military green, but is nicely worn in. I think I need to get some photos together?

Dry bag liners are my preferred system as well.
Covers are OK ... but do not cover the harness side, so water can get in there!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you are going to use liners, I'd recommend a good dollop of Fabsil on the canvas to stop it absorbing too much water, as a wet canvas pack is much heavier, so is a waxed one. I use Fabsil on a canvas pack and it works a treat for at least one turn of the seasons.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Would much prefer the use of a dry bag than cover. I think a good treatment of wax will keep out the majority of bad weather, with the dry bag keeping all kit totally dry. I think this Cyclops Roc is probably around 50-60L, having compared to a 30L pack. It does cinch down nicely. I think this rucksack is probably late 70s early 80s so probably was a Falklands favourite with the troops. I certainly think that the canvas mixed with more "modern" material of the day give a great look for out in the woods today. Is in usual military green, but is nicely worn in. I think I need to get some photos together?

I've used, bought & sold a few Roc's over the years - great bags for Bushcraft. I think 60L is about right. I saw a red one on eBay a while back and so wished I'd bid on it their mega rare. Wouldn't mind seeing some photos of your pack!

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
I've used, bought & sold a few Roc's over the years - great bags for Bushcraft. I think 60L is about right. I saw a red one on eBay a while back and so wished I'd bid on it their mega rare. Wouldn't mind seeing some photos of your pack!

Pics loaded up:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121279063@N02/14605914908/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121279063@N02/14605839640/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121279063@N02/14789419181/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121279063@N02/14605910918/

Please let me know what you think. Ordered some greenland wax so once waxed up will redo the photos if guys want to see?

Never seen a red one. A red one in canvas? Wow now that was a very rare beast indeed. Might have been Chris Bonnington expedition/prototype? I did have a red goose down Berghaus jacket, that was inscribed Chris Bonnington - mega rare - not sure if it was his jacket or a limited edition run. I did sell it, and ever since I have been kicking myself!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had mine about 36/38 years ago... I think the military ones were a bit later so I guess you are about right with the age.
I used Fabsil to proof mine with poly bags inside for insurance :)

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Waist Buckle is coming direct from Berghaus. FOC as well. Looks like these have a lifetime guarantee! Great service from Berghaus. Anyhow they dont have the webbing straps x 4 to front of pack - were these for additional 15L pockets to be attached? Any ideas where they could be sourced?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE