Beefy find

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
heres my bits i desided upon today rose hips, sweet chest nuts and a Fistulina hepatica a beefsteak fungus
Picture1081.jpg

Picture1080.jpg

Or the french call it the Ox-tongue fungus, feels like an oxes tounge as it happens :roll: exudes a sticky red fluid and when cut open
Picture1082.jpg

Picture1085.jpg

Picture1086.jpg

Looks like meat, well marbled eh :naughty: sadly this fungus smells and tastes nothing like beefsteak or oxes toungue and needs boiling then simmering and a couple of water changes before the flesh looses its bitterness
which is the case for quite a few fungi,at the last water change i like to put chopped garlic and thyme in to flavor the fungus
Picture1087.jpg

its then nice if fryed with some butter, thyme, rosemary,garlic and a finley chopped red onion oncecooked some chicken stock poured over and some chopped rice noodles thrown in and simmeredfor another 5 mins this is the result
Picture1089.jpg

nice! quite a lot of bulk from this fungus fills you up a treat :biggthump

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Nice foraging! :)
Looks like you won't go hungry.
Did I spy some rose hips? I love rose hip syrup! Used to get it when I was a kid and have loved it ever since. Tiz really nice if you make it your self.
I've often wondered about the vitamin C content though. It's supposed to be really high and I'm sure the hip itself is but as I understand it Vit' C is killed off at around 60 Degrees C! So is it fortified in the commercial version do you think?
Hope you enjoy your feast!
Pete

Ginger

Apr 8, 2004
That's a great looking collection! I'm envious.

I've eaten beefsteak fungus after soaking it in salt water for 24 hours first. Doing this brings out the beef flavour. I sauteed it with garlic after soaking. It was excellent.

You're lucky to have found it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE