Impromptu Chicken Of The Woods snack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I took the kids out for a bimble to get out of the house today. In the car on the way to a local spot I spied a bright orange lump on a tree by the road side. I turned the car around at a convenient spot and pulled alongside the little gem. A fresh, vibrant Chicken Of the Woods, bursting out of the trunk of an oak Tree. It was young, about the size of a grapefruit and really tender. I pulled out my pocket knife and sliced off a good handful, careful not to take anywhere near the whole specimen, as I now intend to return for more in a few weeks. After our bimble I got straight in the kitchen. Here's my recipe (stolen off t'internet......)

A cup of COTW.
A small onion, chopped.
A sprinkle of garlic powder.
A sprinkle of dried thyme.
Salt and pepper to taste.
A squeeze of lemon to finish
A slice of toast.

I tore up my harvest of COTW into small chunks and chopped the onion.
c2658a3eef0600aa071a0e12fe401570.jpg

I warmed up some olive oil and chucked in the COTW to cook through for about 5 minutes, then threw in the chopped onion, garlic powder, S&J and thyme. I cooked everything for another 10 mins I think, on a gentle heat, stirring when I felt like it. Up popped the toast. I spooned my COTW onto the toast and gave it a good squirter of fresh lemon juice.
db40d4e6a5ed7dca7cf8b8512501d111.jpg

Result? Fabulous food. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Seems to be a good year for it, there's a load of it on a Yew just down the road. I'll get a pic tomorrow. Strangely, nothing last year, but massive growth the year before.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Haven't seen any this year yet, think I need to get out and about a bit more !

I expect you know Rich, opinions vary on whether it's sensible to eat it when growing on yew, personally I wouldn't, but doesn't sound like you were planning to ?

Amazing just to look at in situ as well :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE