Beef Jerky Time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I keep it in a paper bag, not that it lasts that long with me around. Plastic bags make it sweat - which is presumably why the commercial stuff always has a sachet of silica gel with it.

Realgar

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
If you salt it enough to stop it sweating or dry it enough then you end up with something hard, brittle and way too salty to eat.
Anyone tried curing and drying larger pieces? Once in a while I'll do a whole joint and either slice pieces off like parma ham or cook the whole thing in water in a really low oven for 4 hours or so, then press it whilst it cools - pastrami.
Who needs fridges?

Realgar

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I had some in a sealed plastic bag and it was covered in mould in no time :cry:. Partly to do with the mix I used ( too sweet for long keep) and also no air circulation. Paper bag or at least some access to air seems best?

Also perhaps indicates not dry enough although I really try not to get it brittle. Smoking it would also help longevity and perhaps a wipe with some vinegar too.

I will probably do some larger pieces and hang them in the cool basement for the winter.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I'd look into the acidity of your marinade.

I've noticed incidently that shops around here have started stocking Jerky. Little grocer at the corner even has large bags of it for about a fiver now.
Which compares rather favourably with the price of homemade if your using Silverside or the like.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I had a go at the method on the main page here last week....worked a treat. I wrapped mine up into four little parcels of parchment paper and tied them with a little sizzel string and they looked quite cute.

I can't tell you how well they lasted because.....they didn't, by the end of the day (of the morning they were ready that is) I had scoffed the lot!!!!!!

Sorry....I'll just have to do it again now...... :naughty:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Made a load more last night....I tried three different types:

1) Beef marinaded with lots of paprika (yummy)
2) Beef marinaded with soya sauce and black bean sauce (super yummy)
3) Venison marinaded in red wine, garlic, seasoning and a little extra virgin olive oil (Pretty yummy but as I'd already tried the black bean one it just didn't come close!)

All wrapped up now in parchement paper and tied up with string.

I'm going to "TRY" to keep a packet of the venison jerky to see how/if it sweats and how it keeps....I'll let you all know.

Cheers,

Phil.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I bought some 'Wild West beef Jerky' from ebay for £4 a packet 85g looked at the ingredients in order Beef Sugar Water Soy Sauce, FLAVORINGS, Cider Vinegar Salt Paprika, SMOKE FLAVORING, Citric acid. Left out the flavorings for obvious reasons, as I'm diabetic I also left out the sugar and decided that the citric acid was there as a preservative so omitted that. I also decided to water the marinade down as I often find that the flavor is too strong. Added some crushed dried chillies for yumm. Used the cheapest beef joint in iceland that I could find (£5 for 870g). hung slices on cocktail sticks in the oven 1hr at 160 followed by 5 hrs at 50. It was the best I ever made. Finished last night and ive eaten most of it already so I also dont know how well it keeps (bambodoggy you know it). The point is that the cider vinegar is the business - it gives it excellant flavour and has to work as a preservative as well. Has anyone else tried it.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
After looking into re-enactment sites from the American Civil War they all seem to carry all their food in little calico bags tied with string. From large bread bags to smaller bags for flour, jerky and dried fruit. So I have recently made up a lot of little bags from some old tent canvas and if I say so myself they do look sweet and seem quite practical. I normally prepack food into plastic bags and at the end of a trip I have to dispose of loads. Now I can use and reuse my green canvas bags. I now think that I should only be using basic foods and not the processed stuff that I often take.This will save me having to make special bags for "Batchelors savoury rice" and "Morrisons mashed potato" or "pot noodles" .

But back to the point. My recent (last week) batch of beef jerky although now half eaten is still fine in its little canvas bag. But the bag with dried peach that I accidently left in the garage has a hole in it from a mouse who wanted a snack!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE