BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I've just got the green light from SWMBO

All the family are going as well, my lads' 8. I'm looking forward to it - should be great. :-D

Cheers

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Have tickets/ costs been worked out yet ?

Tone, I've just got my lad a childs knife from Dave Barker for his birthday in a couple of weeks. Looks really nice. Weren't you involved in the design?

Cheers

Mark

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
just think, while all you lot are having a good time playing with sharpe things I have to sit around wearing a suit thats a bit small and dancing with the bridesmaid :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: make sure you get lots of pictures, hope the weather is good for you all

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
To give you a heads up on what the costs are expected to be.

Adults (over 16) £15 per head
10-16 years £5 per head
0-9 years free

This is what we are aiming at to cover the cost of the site.

( I will also post the costs at the beginning of the thread)

We would like as many of you as possible to pay via the paypal donation button, there is a box in the payment procedure that allows you to put in a note about what the payment is for, that way we can keep a record and contact you if necessary.

As previously stated, the meet up is for us to get together and say hi to each other in a relaxed atmosphere. Families are more than welcome, it’s up to you to decide on who you bring and who you don’t  The site is huge so there will be room for all. We will be posting up maps and directions etc and it’s not hard to find.

Many questions have been raised and answered in the thread so have a browse through to get a better picture of what the meet up is about. If you have something new to ask then feel free.

Are people intending to use tents, sleep up trees or just eat, drink and talk for the weekend without sleep? :)

I'm just wondering whether to bother with a tent and go with the trusty old bivvy bag. But then it is South Wales in August so it will be peeing it down....

Roger

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Are people intending to use tents, sleep up trees or just eat, drink and talk for the weekend without sleep? :)

I'm just wondering whether to bother with a tent and go with the trusty old bivvy bag. But then it is South Wales in August so it will be peeing it down....

Bring what ever you want. I'll be wilding it.... or maybe a hennassy for luxury ;-) but many with children will be in tents. There should be enough hootchies, basha, tarps and parachutes around for you to shelter under if the rain gets that bad ;-) There is also a purpose built classroom.... sort of a wooden roof on wooden pillars, so there is shelter under there.... but not for everyone.

:)
Ed

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Don't know if anyone already asked but is there a problem bringing my dog. He's only little and will be well behaved most of the time.

Bill

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Don't know if anyone already asked but is there a problem bringing my dog. He's only little and will be well behaved most of the time.
I'll have to get confirmation on this, but I think we are 'NOT' going to be allowing dogs.

The main reason is the proliferation of wildlife on the site including rabbit, fox, mink, otter, pheasant and hare. If a pheasant was killed we risk loosing access to the land.... we are not allowed to touch them! they are reared by the game keeper for the shoot, and we as BCUK cannot take responsibility for a dog killing one....

We are privaliged to have access to such a wonderful site and we do not want to jepodise our relationship with the estate.... I personaly have no problem with it but I don't think the gamekeeper would like the idea of dogs being in the same woodland a his pheasants.

Sorry :-(

Ed

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I for one will enjoy the chance to do some bushcraft such as putting up a camp and lighting a fire the 'proper' way!

However, will things like wood be provided or will we be permitted to forage for wood and stuff?

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
The General said:
Tony said:
The General said:
Any requests for me to bring along any particular knives?

Just the ones you don't want and you're going to give to me :biggthump

LOL! Very funny! :lol:

Seriously though a few rules before anyone asks...

1. No one is to touch anything I have brought without express permission from myself or a fellow Mod.
2. No one is to test an edge by running a thumb along the edge... :roll:
3. No one is to interupt a conversation or interupt while I am in the middle of a demo or similar if I am obviously very busy or concentrating. An exception to this is if someone is doing something dangerious and you must draw my attention to it.
4. If you are given permission to touch a knife, no waving it about or throwing it into the ground. It is a valuable bit of kit and not yours! Treat yourself, others and the knife with respect.
5. Any dangerous behaviour will grant that person a smack in the gob! :wink:
6.Please wipe the blade down with a clean cloth after using the blade or touching the naked steel.
7. I can't have eyes and ears at all points so please help me and keep an eye on what is going on around me.
8. There will be children and young people at the even, please keep an eye on these young people and for goodness sake tell them not to touch anything without asking!
9. I will NOT allow any children to touch or use any of my knives unless the parent is right there and gives express permission to me directly that the young person is safe to handle a knife. Even so I will be very careful and may decide it is not a good idea.
10. No trying to impress me with massive bowie knives or similar. I have seen it all before. If you want to impress me, bring customs and hand made knives for me to see! Very good quality production knives are also something I like! :wink:
11. I don't want to see any illegal knives... please! :shock:
12. My knives are mostly shaving hair popping sharp, unless you are an old hand at using knives you probably can't understand how sharp that really is! BE CAREFUL!!!!
Thats enough for now!

Things I am planning on bringing along...

DMT Duo folding stone and DMT pocket hone. (I won't bring a Spyderco Sharpmaker though I will probably bring a couple of the ceramic sticks.)

Knives.

Him Imports Kukrhi
Randal Model 1-6 stag
Randal Model 2-8 micarta
Farid fixed blade
Alan Wood 5" custom in D2 steel Micarta
Alan Wood Woodlore
Alan Wood Bushcraft knife (if I have it by then)
Small wood Sebenza folding knife
Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie
Bark River Highland Special as well as at least two prototype knives from Bark River!
Spyderco Chinock II
William Henry Damascus 'quest' desgined my Tom Brown
Strider AR Tac folder
Spyderco Military in S30V
Camillus Cuda Aftermath folding knife.
Perhaps my first attempt at knifemaking if I have it by then.
Benchmade Nimravious fixed blade
Benchmade 806 Axis and 710 Axis (space permitting)
My first custom knife designed by myself a Doug Mondt 10" blade in CPM 10V.

Thats 4.5K to 5k value in knives people!

Obviously weight and space will be a major factor, so I won't have the room or space for lots of stones or oils. So feel free to bring along your own! In fact this would be better as I want you to learn how to use your own equipment, not mine! Bring lots of bribes in the form of chocolate and cold fizzy drinks! :wink:

The above list may change if it is simply too much to carry or if I need to change it a bit upon request.

Comments?

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Just found out the date of my A level results and it is fine...19th! so glad, so i will be coming.

General...You'll be suprised at some of our South Walian Weather, it can get very hot. when ever i see the temperatures on the weather forecast Cardiff is always hottest or near hottest. We had a Temperature of 30 centigrade a few weeks back!

Cheers,

Jake

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Quick question, will it be possible time permitting to give me some bushcraft basics instructions? I realise there will be no formal lessons etc, but I was hoping that some of the more knoledgeable members would be willing to share? Something like Gary's Greenhorn Bbushcraft basics? I am not a newbee to outdoors stuff, but I have learnt to do the thinks that work best for myself and hope very much to learn the proper way of doing things!

One particular problem is carrying water as I simply don't trust in my own ability to find a source of water. I understand how to treat the water and make it safe, but have never bothered with such kit as I rarely find a site with running water available near by.

Thanks!

(writing from a library in Finnland :-D)

There wil be a lot of people with a great deal of knowleadge at the meetup and all are willing to share what they know

there will not be formal workshops (i know a few people are going to do some informal ones) but if you want to learn somthing specific then just ask and we will find somone with the knowleadge to help you

If you are intrested in how to find water I will take you out onto the dunes and show you how to get at the water under the sand etc and take you to a few natural springs hidden in the dunes

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I'll have to get confirmation on this, but I think we are 'NOT' going to be allowing dogs.
Right, the general concensus is 'NO DOGS'. Not only for the reasons outlined above, but there will also be quite a few youngs ones there running around and we don't want them chased either.... ;-)
Hope that clears it up.... please say sorry to your pooch for leaving them at home....

:)
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE