BB down

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
Glad it wasn't me that broke it :D

What does it mean guys ? Too many logged on or is it something different?

Help me out here ,I know nothing :p

regards

beach bum

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Yup it's down, is this a monthly or weekly limit I wonder?

Perhaps it's time some of us unpaying regulars (surely I'm not the only one) dig deep for some more bandwidth.

Edd-UK

Feb 9, 2005
Wirral, uk
Hedgehog said:
Yup it's down, is this a monthly or weekly limit I wonder?

Perhaps it's time some of us unpaying regulars (surely I'm not the only one) dig deep for some more bandwidth.

i think martyn said that to go to the next limit its a big increase :(

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
For those asking:

Bandwidth is the quantity of data a site is allowed to transfer to clients (i.e you lot) - i.e the more people look at the site, the more data is transferred (in text and images) and the more bandwidth is used.

Bandwidth is usually billed monthly, so its likely that BB has previously been running close to their limit each month. The fact that August has 31 days means there's an extra day to use up bandwidth in, and there's probably been something else (extra users, an interesting thread) thats pushed it over the limit.

With any luck it'll be back sometime tomorrow I'm guessing :rolleyes:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Martyn's got a busy site and it's probably been a busy month (it being the last day) His host is excellent and they've got a great relationship so I doubt that there will ever be a case of it going down for more than a few minutes without them sorting it. Even if he exceeds the bandwidth they'll not let him hang but sort it out later.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hi guys yes we exceeded our bandwidth allocation for August.

In English, every time a page or picture is viewed, the file is transfered over the internet to your PC. This data transfer is called bandwidth. All websites consume bandwidth, the bussier the site, the more it consumes. BritishBlades has a 45 Gigabyte/month allocation. That means BB has transfered over 45 gigs of pages and pictures out to the users computers in the last month.

Bandwidth consumption has been steadily increasing each month since the site started 3 years ago. We have reached the limit of our current allocation and I am looking at alternative hosting plans. But we will need something pretty massive and that means pretty expensive. The next step is a dedicated server (like Tony has here for BcUK) but that runs out at 4x the cost of what we are using already. The advantage is that huge resources are available, a whole computer and a massive internet pipeline dedicated to soley to the one site (currently BB shares a server and internet pipe with several other websites).

Because of the jump in cost, I dont want to make the mover, sooner than we have to so I'm hanging on. August was a 31 day month so it pushed it to the limit. Also consumption is seasonal, so we kind of "peaked". But the site is continually growing, so sooner or later we will have to move.

Our current hosts are excellent though, and as you can see, the site has only been offline for 15 minutes or so and then our host gave us a bit more bandwidth free of charge to tide us over to midnight tonight.

Cheers,
Martyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE