Basha's - How big?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Carpe_Diem said:
hi Pete E

Cool tent, but the microfast is like nothing i've seen being used in service. I have seen it at a couple of outdoor camping shops etc. 2.6kg is a significantly heavier compared to 700g for an individual shelter system especially when you add sleeping bag and mat to it.

Anyhow, like i said i've never seen anything like that in use with any of the ADF units. The one i referred to was a double hoop shelter, i dont know who its made by but has the DoD marking on it. I'll see if i can get a pic for you and post when i can.

cheers
jeelan

Doesnt surprise me, its a bit like Fosters and XXXX beer, I didnt see a single can last time i was in Oz :rolmao: mine is ok as i said, dont know how it would perform in a rain storm, hoze pipe and showers ok though :wink:

J

juliandavid

There seems to be a deal of confusion over bashas, how to use them, and where to get them. If you want to talk to the guy who makes them, KT, try;

http://home.freeuk.net/kathmandu/index.html

They started making them years ago,... all sorts of shapes and sizes... ultralite or HD.... olive or DPM..... and they are in Wales, inland from Aberystwyth...

J

juliandavid

Minimum length for a basha to cover you in windy wet,... is 2.5 metres, if you want some comfort then width is going to be 1.5 metres..or more. There is no need to use heavy cloth as the basha spends its time over you not under..,

If you use a longer tarp, you can afford luxuries such as a closed end.. say 3 mts..
The weight might be just 10.oz; a larger light/weight tarp need not be more than 20 oz, and that can sleep 3 people in comfort. Green/olive is nice and quiet, DPM is really not that much less obtrusive, can be a bit dearer, and looks a bit naff in the wrong surroundings.. No tarp should cost you more than £20 to £40, depending on size. There are accessories you might need, such as good bungees, groundsheets, poles, and a lightweight bivvy bag for really bad weather... The mysterious people you all seem to be talking about, are Kathmandu Trekking, who are at;

which is in Mid-Wales, and far from the madding crowd..

Tex

Nov 3, 2004
Pymble, Sydney, Australia
Pete E said:
Can anybody tell me the size and weight of the Australian Issue basha as compared to the 58 pattern ponch?

Are there any other lighter good quality basha's/tarps out there which are non cammo?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

58 poncho = 147cm x 200cm, Australian Hootchi= 175cm x 270cm. The 58 pattern poncho has a strange arrangment its only comes in the one size but the sleeping bag of this pattern comes in two sizes normal and long. There is a row of press studs on the inside of the poncho that clips onto the foot of the sleeping bag. This forms a pretty water proof arangment at your feet, grand but with long sleeping bag your head sticks out the top :confused: dry feet must be more importaint than a dry sweed.

Better late than never.

J

juliandavid

They have to be long enough to overhang head and feet..... by a foot or so at least.... and wide enough to give you a comfortable roof, so 8ft long by 5ft wide is minimal really.. 6ft or more if there are two sharing.. If they are too big they become a handful in windy weather, so its best to start around
2.5 mts x 1.5///1.8 mts and go bigger later..

They can get very muddy without a groundsheet, esp. if you are in the same place for a few days... trees, poles, fences, cars, bikes, rocks,... are all good sheltered fixing points... Dont pitch them too high, a metre is a tad too much... if you don't like draughts, then a longer basha/tarp can be closed down at one end at least... say 3 mts. You dont need heavy cloth as you dont lie on the things.. and as you should be able to get a tarp big enough to raise a family in for under £50, new, if you see them being sold anywhere for more, youre being had...

Be careful with bungees, as they can hurt if they come loose, and the pegs tend to shake lose in a blow until you get the hang of it.... When you pack up in the mornings, look around, or in a couple of days you'll be short of a few items...

Kathmandu trekking do several sizes and weights, and are still in wales...
try ;
for a look, or speak to the "technopobe" on the blower for advice....

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
well me for one like it when retailers and manifacturers visit here. Especially when they give good advice like Julian do.

Having said that however, it would be good to have some sort of tag-line/title on them stating they are a retailer or a manifacturer.

And to be semi-on topic. I've been looking for a good retailer in Sweden for basha's & hammocks. Even starting to considering beginning manifacturing them myself since i haven't found one. There are Basha's to buy here but they are very very expensive. Any of the northern/swedish guys know of a good retailer?

/HuBBa

*not affiliated to anyone yet ;) *

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
ESpy said:
Couldn't agree more!
I couldn't think of a better thing than to be able to talk directly to the manufacturers/retailers about their products. However, as you've pointed out, people should be aware of whom they are dealing with via a tag line. As we know, there are several traders that are willing to give excellent service and advice whilst on this forum but these traders tend to use their business banner as their signature thereby removing any doubt as to thier origin.
I hope other traders will follow this example.

Cheers,
Martin

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
juliandavid said:
They have to be long enough to overhang head and feet..... by a foot or so at least.... and wide enough to give you a comfortable roof, so 8ft long by 5ft wide is minimal really.. 6ft or more if there are two sharing.. If they are too big they become a handful in windy weather, so its best to start around
2.5 mts x 1.5///1.8 mts and go bigger later..

They can get very muddy without a groundsheet, esp. if you are in the same place for a few days... trees, poles, fences, cars, bikes, rocks,... are all good sheltered fixing points... Dont pitch them too high, a metre is a tad too much... if you don't like draughts, then a longer basha/tarp can be closed down at one end at least... say 3 mts. You dont need heavy cloth as you dont lie on the things.. and as you should be able to get a tarp big enough to raise a family in for under £50, new, if you see them being sold anywhere for more, youre being had...

Be careful with bungees, as they can hurt if they come loose, and the pegs tend to shake lose in a blow until you get the hang of it.... When you pack up in the mornings, look around, or in a couple of days you'll be short of a few items...

Kathmandu trekking do several sizes and weights, and are still in wales...
try ;
for a look, or speak to the "technopobe" on the blower for advice....

Hi Julian

Id be very interested to see some pictures of the basha tent pitched in its various guises, and also the one point basha. They sound pretty cool! ;)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
mojofilter said:
Hi Julian

Id be very interested to see some pictures of the basha tent pitched in its various guises, and also the one point basha. They sound pretty cool! ;)

Same here. I first saw it when chris townsend reviewed it in TGO, many years ago. And i thought to myself, hmmm what a cool bit of kit. But could i find where to get it after that ? No sir. Can now though !! :D

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I don't have much time to go into detail, but I have used a hilleberg "tarp" which belongs to a friend and they are excellent. Very lightweight and well stitched. Silicone treated and pack up very small. www.hilleberg.se the best I've ever seen.
Julian.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Hilleberg makes excellent tarps & tents. My only beef with them is being a bit pricy. They are a well known brand and you do pay a bit for that brand.

The swedish prices for the smallest UL version is £110, the smallest XP £60 and me being a cheap ******* i can't but wonder what the materials would cost me =)

Making one isn't exactly rocket science :)

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
The ultralite basha listed on the kathmandu site - can it be hung between trees? I presume it could, but is that only when the rope goes under the basha, not over the top where it is hung with bits of rope. Would that mean that water could come in along the ropes?

If I was to use that basha with a hammock etc, would water come in along the ropes? Also, could I hang a flysheet off the rope, if it did go under the basha?

Lots of questions :). I also would like to ask the questions Kirruth posted.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Even if the loops are all along the edges (which means that at least 2 are going to be in nearly the right place), doesn't preclude hanging the bash below the ridgeline. Just use the pebble and cord trick. Still want a bash tent though :D

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I have two lovely bashas. The bigger one is a Hilleberg Tarp 10 XP. A nice big size, it is 11.5 by 9.5 feet and sleeps four comfortably. The XP is made of Silicone coated polyester, which is slightly heavier than Sil Nylon, but has a greater tear-resistance.
I got mine from here: It is currently $80 - a bargain
Backcountry Equipment

My smaller basha is an Integral Designs SilTarp2 which is 10 x 8 feet and made of grey silicone-impregnated nylon. I find that this a great size for a basha. The SilTarp2 packs down to a tiny size and is very light. Great kit.
I got it from here:
Backcountry Gear

Check out the website for some sexy kit!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE