Basha's - How big?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Can anybody tell me the size and weight of the Australian Issue basha as compared to the 58 pattern ponch?

Are there any other lighter good quality basha's/tarps out there which are non cammo?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Pete you should find info on sizes on a good retailers website. Poncho sizes differ as do hootchie and basha sizes ect ect so compare what your interested in.

But to answer your question their are two weights of Aussie hootchie in Olive - the standard weight is the most common but they also do a jungle lightweight version which is thinner lighter and less robust.

I dont know of anywhere that sells the later as they have limited live spans and may not but worth the money in the long run however if you have a local surplus shop you might try them.

Failing that the DPM british basha is lighter than the standard hootchie but in this case dpm not plain colours.

Hope that has helped a little.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Gary,

I have a civvie made DPM basha somewhere, but I would like to get one in plain green. I recall the old 58 pattern poncho's and as a basha, they were a bit on the small side if you were tall..I was hoping the plain green Australian basha would be both lighter and a little larger too....

Regards,

Pete

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
PeteE compared to the army poncho the hootchie is definately longer although the weights are comparable, the hootchie may even be heavier!

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
Hi

The Oz milspec hootchie is 2m x 1.8m and weighs 720g on my home scales. THis a waterproof nylon material that is certainly adequatly strong enough to be used in the bush.

There are units currently trialling a different shelter system that has two delrin support rods and is free standing. Apparently the material used is a very light weight silnylon is not so much water proof but rather it just sheds water off the material.

Dont know how it handles the scrub though.

Anymore info regarding aussie kit i'd be more than happy to help.

regards
Jeelan

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Jeelan,

Thanks for the info...you have probably saved me wasting my money as a 2m length is not very long if you are over 6'...

With regards the new issue shelters, I was looking at some on the Net the other day and they the look like a single skin hooped tent as you say. It will be interesting to see how they hold up once they have been on issue for a while.

Regards,

Pete

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Has anybody come across or used bashas made by "Katmandu"?

A local shop has them in three sizes and the smaller two are si coated nylon while the biggest (3m x2m) is PU coated. The all seem to be be ripstop....

I am interested in the 2.5mx1.8m si coated one which is £30...I had a brief look at some of the loops and they seemed to be stiched on reasonably well.

They are also British made if that means anything today...

Regards,

Pete

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Pete - go and look in my gallery (Alick) I've a pic posted of a small tarp by Kathmandu trekking there. It's a plain green silnylon, light and pretty well made for the price. I'm happy with it. This one is quite small - for solo use only. A bit bigger might be more versatile but I have no complaints at the price. Tapes are very securely sewn on with some cordura backing to spead the load.

Search for Kathmandu as well, I posted a brief review after buying it several months ago since there's next to no info on the web about these.

If you want heavier, sounds like SASS are worth checking out for very strong kit. Or the scandinavian brand like Mallowman had up for sale a few months ago.

Cheers :biggthump

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Carpe_Diem said:
There are units currently trialling a different shelter system that has two delrin support rods and is free standing. Apparently the material used is a very light weight silnylon is not so much water proof but rather it just sheds water off the material.

Dont know how it handles the scrub though.

Anymore info regarding aussie kit i'd be more than happy to help.

regards
Jeelan

I have used a silnyon tarp in the Bush (Australia) for a while and have not had any problems with it. After all, you just set up your shelter and sleep under it- noone bushbashes in a basha!
But a guy in an outdoor shop showed me something cool about silnylon- He got a pencil and poked a hole through the fabric. He then scrunched up that piece of fabric and wriggled it around. When he laid it flat again, the silnylon had corrected the puncture!

Have you got a link or any more info on the two hoop shelter- it sounds interesting.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Alick,

Thanks for the info..I did do a search but helps if you can spell if you expect to find any results :roll: needless to say "spelling" is not one of my strong points!

Anyway, I think that basha will be ideal for what I need...

Wentworth,

I have a link on my home PC and will post it later this evenning...There is not much info but it does show a picture and a price...

Thanks again,

Pete

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
wentworth said:
I have used a silnyon tarp in the Bush (Australia) for a while and have not had any problems with it. After all, you just set up your shelter and sleep under it- noone bushbashes in a basha!
But a guy in an outdoor shop showed me something cool about silnylon- He got a pencil and poked a hole through the fabric. He then scrunched up that piece of fabric and wriggled it around. When he laid it flat again, the silnylon had corrected the puncture!

Have you got a link or any more info on the two hoop shelter- it sounds interesting.

Hi Wentworth

Its something similar to this http://www.imsplus.com/ims66e.html but in Auscam colouring. The weight of the rods are the issue at the moment so i think there are delrin, easton aluminium and carbon fibre rods being trialled.

There are two rods that are curved under pressure. The smaller rod makes a half circle at the foot and the larger rod a half circle at the head. There is enough room to cover your pack and gear. The rods are kept in place with guy ropes that are stretched from sewn in panels at the head and foot.

The pic shows one with mossie nets etc, while the ones we've got haven't got all that. They are a plain silnylon shelter...no nets etc...this keeps the weight down i guess.

Not all the units have them so they are definately still in trial phase. I have felt the silnylon material and i'm not so sure about it, feels like paper, i'd love to see it after a few weeks of use somewhere like Pilbara or the Kimberlies or even far north queensland, cape york or somewhere like that.

cheers
Jeelan

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Jeelan, Wentworth,

The information below is from the Military Tents section of Shock Troop (shocktroop.com)

product.ST-673-H.large.gif

"MicroFast® KT2 Self Pitch Bivi Tent £99.99

Ultralight and Compact 3 Hoop Single Skin Breathable as used by the Australian armed forces. PITCHES IN 5 SECONDS. Just release its retainer straps and it opens out into a waterproof shelter with a front awning.

Full weather protection without condensation. Not free standing. If you are in a hurry, 2 pegs at the front and back will keep the tent upright.

Size when pitched: 210 x 75 x 70cm. Size when packed: 45cm diameter x 12cm thick. Weight 1.6kg including pegs, guy ropes and bag."

Whether thats a valid claim or not I don't know; perhaps one of you guys may know more?

Regards,

Pete

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
that MicroFast tent looks neat ! Doesn't cost to much either. ( a quick search also resulted in several sources with slightly lower prices )
Can't find a dutch retalier, though...

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I've been using Kathmandu bashas for the last 3 years of assorted sizes up to 3m x 3m and found them very reliable. There is very little about them on the internet, I think they are made in Wales UK but I think the owner prefers to deal with local army surplus shops.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The owner of Katmandu is a chap called Julian Miles and He is indeed in Wales, he moved there about three years ago from Surrey. The kit he sells is excellent. Chris Townsend of TGO mag uses his gear, especially the basha tent (fantastic bit of kit) He's a bit of a technophobe which is why he's not even got email.

He'll also do bespoke stuff, my bivi bag was bespoke.

Well worth the money for any of his kit.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Pete E said:
Jeelan, Wentworth,

The information below is from the Military Tents section of Shock Troop (shocktroop.com)

product.ST-673-H.large.gif

"MicroFast® KT2 Self Pitch Bivi Tent £99.99

Ultralight and Compact 3 Hoop Single Skin Breathable as used by the Australian armed forces. PITCHES IN 5 SECONDS. Just release its retainer straps and it opens out into a waterproof shelter with a front awning.

Full weather protection without condensation. Not free standing. If you are in a hurry, 2 pegs at the front and back will keep the tent upright.

Size when pitched: 210 x 75 x 70cm. Size when packed: 45cm diameter x 12cm thick. Weight 1.6kg including pegs, guy ropes and bag."

Whether thats a valid claim or not I don't know; perhaps one of you guys may know more?

Regards,

Pete
I have one of these i bought it from silvermans, it was only 70 odd quid though IIRC goes up double quick, you need to have an end open slightly as it can get a bit of condinsation inside..light as a feather..packs up small i tie it to the outside of my sack, well worth the money, great little tent, Connor uses it mostly though....

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Alick,

I found it OK...when I spelt the name correctly! :roll:

Anyway, after reading your review I went out and bought one...First impressions are very much the same as yours and I am pleased with it.

I wish is was a touch wider, but I think it will be fine as it is. I might sew on a couple of extra loops along the ridge line, but i will give a try as it is first.

Regards,

Pete

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
hi Pete E

Cool tent, but the microfast is like nothing i've seen being used in service. I have seen it at a couple of outdoor camping shops etc. 2.6kg is a significantly heavier compared to 700g for an individual shelter system especially when you add sleeping bag and mat to it.

Anyhow, like i said i've never seen anything like that in use with any of the ADF units. The one i referred to was a double hoop shelter, i dont know who its made by but has the DoD marking on it. I'll see if i can get a pic for you and post when i can.

cheers
jeelan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE