Basha ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just bought what was described as a basha from my local surplus store, but I cant figure it out - OK, bear with me. It's a plain olive green sheet, 5' by 9' with rough edges, no seames, no holes, no loops, smooth-ish one side, slightly rougher on the other - just basically a 5x9 sheet of polythene. With it cam 6 tubular aluminium pols, each about 9" lond, cut to a spearpoint on one end and all 6 of em threaded onto what looks like about 50' of while cord. It cost £17 - what am I supposed to do with this thing? I was expecting holes for pegs, taped edges and loops for cord. Looks more like a mini-tarp. It is light though, and I'm sure I could make a good shelter with it, just was expecting something a little more - well, finished.

Oh yeah, 5' by 9' is anm odd size as well, dont you think? In an A shape, you either get something with 2'6" walls by 9' long, or something with 4'6" walls and 5' long. 7' by 6' would seem a more logical size.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Its an IPK (Individual Protection Kit)
You are supposed to dig a burrow, dig the poles along the sides, put string across, and the polythene on top. So its level with the ground.
It's pretty useless!
I think I have some instructions for one lying around, if you'd like them?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Raz is correct it's an IPK.

Once you have finished digging your trench you knock the pegs in run the cord back and forth and the tension it up sling the green sheet over the top and cover it over with the spoil from your trench. Voila a trench with a cover. Giving the occupant a measure of protection from: indirect fire, nuclear and chemical fallout ect.

In theory if its correctly set up even a tank is supposed to be able to run over the trench and it'll still stand up ( dont try that at home). The green sheet is actually quite tough and quite waterproof but will not sew very well (I tried!!).

£17.00 is way to much to pay for one IMHO.

cheers

John

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Johnboy and Raz are both spot on the only problem is that I was told by the QM at 1 para that the MOD stopped the use of these as they were considered dangerous due to there being some deaths caused by trench collapse.
£17 is outrageous, I bought these for £1.50 and used the sheet as an individual gound sheet, then you have a good length of very strong cord and some very good hard ground tent pegs, I bought about 50 of these in the end and use them for my Scouts.
To pass this item off as a basha is not good as you couldnt be further from the real item if you tried. :shock:

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i`ve used one of them in a trench, very strong although i wasnt too sure at first but it turned out to hold an extremely large amount of soil dug from the trench and will take the weight of a landrover going over it, didnt stop me from dreaming about the thing caving in and screaming like a girl in the middle of the night though , shouldnt have worn my hat over my eyes,gave the GPMG gunner a laugh tho :-D

miranda

Feb 8, 2004
al said:
it turned out to hold an extremely large amount of soil dug from the trench and will take the weight of a landrover going over it, didnt stop me from dreaming about the thing caving in and screaming like a girl in the middle of the night though , shouldnt have worn my hat over my eyes,gave the GPMG gunner a laugh tho :-D
LOL! :lol: But, are you saying you could cover it with dirt and drive over it! :shock: Man just the thought of someone doing that would be enough to keep me wide awake all night! :shock:

Miz :lol:

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
yeah you cover it with loads and loads of dirt and it will take the weight of a vehicle going over it but there is a special way of tieing the cord up so the weight is spread evenly, they do make for a good bivi too or shelter liner,cheers al

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks all, I checked my reciept and paid £7 for it, not £17 (i bought about £80 quids worth of bits n pieces so lost track). I suppose £7 isn't such a ripoff, but I do feel a little stung. Ahwell, I guess I've got meself a groundsheet, or spare bivi, or something.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE