Bark River

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I am interested in a smaller knife to accompany my Woodlore Micarta. I like the look of some of the bark river knives...what are they like?

I dont want to spend alot. You may have realised that i have little money (being a student)! I have a puukko, but would like something like the Bison bushcraft, but i dont have enough money. The mini candian is about £40, which looks like a bargain.

Any other small recomndations?

Cheers,

Jake

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i've got a highland, it's a fantastic blade. too sharp for leather so it lives in kydex. i'm looking forward to some of the new models. i reckon the north star will make a great bushcraft knife. quite fancy a mini or a mikro too.

so manyknives, so little money......

cheers, and.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I was looking around. Could you tell me the names of some of the reputable makes...heinnie has so many, but i dont know what is good.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
hi jake take a look at the fallkniven wm1 its a bit more than your £40 but it would compliment the ws macarta well i have one and would recomend it as a good little allrounder :-D

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers grumit. I had a look on outdoor supplies and they have a mini canadian for about £41. How much is the WM1?

Cheers,

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I think i'm gonna go for the bark river. seems reliable enough. and i like the shape!

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Another vote for the Bark River Highland. Great little knife and sharp like a razor. If I had to by it again, however, I would not get one with Stag Bone handles. Too slippery when wet.

-Emile

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I'm gonna order the mini canadian. From joe on outdoor supplies. Is he a member on the site?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
I'm gonna order the mini canadian. From joe on outdoor supplies. Is he a member on the site?

Dunno if he is here ... but he is over on British Blades.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Jake Rollnick said:
Has anyone uses knives made by Marbles?

I have a few. :)

marblesdrawer.jpg

marblesexpert1.jpg

deweese1.jpg

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
One day, Hoodoo, you are going to shock us all when somebody asks about a bit of kit and you have to sheepishly admit that you only own one example... :wink:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hoodoo, i have never seen anything like it. You have such vast amounts of kit!!! You should photograph it all in a big heap in a field from far away so that you can get it all in.

Anyway...what are they like? Are they worth it? Are they users? I think you should be allocated the job "Kit Advice Man".

:biggthump:

Jake

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well gentlemen, think of them as investments. :-D Even if I use them they will increase in value over time. Simply because they are some of the best Marbles knives that were ever made. Almost all the knives above were made when Mike Stewart was running the shop. Same guy who now owns Bark River. In the last year or so when Stewart was there and then afterwards, Marbles quality began to decline. First they stopped doing the cryo treatment. Now they are using "mystery" steel. Lots of great models were discontinued. It's not the same anymore. I have just one of the newer ones but if I were going to get one I'd look for an older one, maybe 2002 and earlier. I'm not exactly sure when they stopped cryo treating the blades nor when they stopped using 52100 steel. When they started screwing up the Marbles knives, that made my little collection worth a lot more. All the ones above with the short little guard are older ones. Somewhere online is a webpage for dating them based on the handle spacers. But I don't have that info handy. I will see if I can find it.

Marbles are wonderful using knives and have a long history as using knives in the woods. They were the favored knives of Rustrum (the marbles expert) and Kephart (the marbles woodcraft) as well as others.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Would you recomend i get the mini canadian as oppose to the the marble?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE