Bannock Bread lunch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nevyn

May 15, 2016
Whitstable
Couldn't make it to the woods today so I introduced my little boy to the art of making Bannock bread. My son had the honour of breaking it and very nice it was too.

Nevyn

May 15, 2016
Whitstable
Alex Here's the one I used today. You are right though there are lots of different versions.

1 Cup Flour (White)
1 tsb. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup dry milk powder
1 tsb. Vedgetable shortening (can use coconut oil)
water to mix.

the shortening helps cut down on the use of baking powder which can leave a metallic taste if too much is used.

hope this helps fella!

Nev

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Alex Here's the one I used today. You are right though there are lots of different versions.

1 Cup Flour (White)
1 tsb. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup dry milk powder
1 tsb. Vedgetable shortening (can use coconut oil)
water to mix.

the shortening helps cut down on the use of baking powder which can leave a metallic taste if too much is used.

hope this helps fella!

Nev

Must give this a try. I like the use of milk powder - mostly light dry ingredients. Easy to carry. Do you think suet might work in place of the shortening? What about self raising flour could negate the need for baking powder? I will try this recipe as a flatbread - easier to carry than a Dutch oven for baking.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Hmm that looks good I'll have to try your recipe. I don't usually use shortening. Yours looks better than mine I didn't leave it in long enough to brown the top.

0207102007-01.jpg

Last edited:

Nevyn

May 15, 2016
Whitstable
Must give this a try. I like the use of milk powder - mostly light dry ingredients. Easy to carry. Do you think suet might work in place of the shortening? What about self raising flour could negate the need for baking powder? I will try this recipe as a flatbread - easier to carry than a Dutch oven for baking.

Cannot see why not might give a flavour to it. Think baking powder on its own mixed with water gives it its voosh and air bubbles. But again worth a try what's the worst that can happen! Let me know how it works out :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Suet is fat is shortening.
The function is to interfere with gluten chain formation.
Little to no fat or shortening will make a baked product tough and leathery, long gluten protein strands like bread.
The more fat that you add, the shorter (shortening. . . ) the gluten chains until you
have a product like a cake or a cookie.

Even junk food snacks have lots of fat so the product is crunchy crumbly.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You're most welcome. But, here's the case for veg oil, as opposed to some animal fat.
Those two categories of lipids have somewhat different chemical structures.
Let's suppose that you want a crumbly texture but you don't want to use a huge amount of fat to get there.

PIZZA = the Breakfast of Champions! Made typically with olive oil, the dough is so gluten-elastic that there are competitions for tossing dough.
Now, into a XXX hot oven, the gluten chain destruction proceeds quite quickly and easily with the veg oil.
That's why what seems so thin and baked isn't the least bit tough/chewy on your plate (if you can wait long enough to use one.)

Cake batters follow the same principle.

Weaselhwak

Jun 7, 2016
Bloomfield indiana usa
bet yet get a organic alive flour alive not processed not bleached not heated and make a starter let it site or keep the dough ball in your coat let it sour and you will have a sour dough starter or here we just call it starter one started you can use anyflour take out half and bake that bread add the same amount you take out and forget powder and yeast will taste better and cook it in a dutch oven

Nevyn

May 15, 2016
Whitstable
Sorry fella just seen these replies wasn't intentionally ignoring you!

Why white? Not sure really just been the norm I will try out some other flours as you mentioned and the sour dough starter. I tend to take out the mix in a plastic bag fill it with water and make my dough on site. Never thought about carrying a ball and letting it prove as I walk about!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE