bag stats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hello!

Just a quick one. What's the difference between mummy shaped bags and rectangular ones? (Aside from shape before some smart **** says it! :p) like does one perform better under certain circumstances or is it all just personal choice?

Thanks

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Mummy bags hug your body a little better than rectangular ones, the advantage of this being there is less internal air space to warm up therefore you stay warmer. This reduced size also equates to a lighter pack weight. Mummy bags also invariably have hoods which provide extra insulation to head and neck.
Some mummy bags also have draw string baffles, allowing you to compartmentalise the main area of your bag from the opening, increasing heat retention.
That said many rectangular bags have hoods which achieve the same thing. Personally I prefer rectangular bags as they allow a bit more freedom of movement and theres plenty of space for extra layers of clothes or a liner in cold conditions.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Mummy shaped bags leave less room inside, this enables them to be better at keeping you warm as there is less air inside to warm up with your body heat.

Not much good to me as i sleep on my stomach and find them very restrictive.

EDIT... too slow :)

elliott92

Mar 6, 2012
surrey
mummy sleeping bags are designed for a much tighter fit. this reduces air flow between your body and the bag itself. thus resulting in better heat rentention basically mate. i also find they fit much better in hammocks then rectangular sleeping bags

too slow too

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Thanks guys. So mummy are better for keeping warm nd pack smaller but if you like to spread out when you sleep then rectangular bags. So the only deciding factor is that you have more space in rectangular bags l. So if your not bothered about this go for mummy bags every time?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not quite. All else being equal then yes, the above statement is true. But if your better half camps with you, then rectangular bags also are more likely to allow 2 baggs to be zipped together to form a double bag.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Mummy bags can be restrictive and claustrophobic and if the zip jams when you're cocooned...

I've gone back to envelope bags as they are a bit more roomy, can be zipped together or opened and used as a blanket and if long enough can be pulled over your head while allowing a bit of air flow to combat any night sweating.

Liam

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I was lucky enough to get the chance to design my own bag on the PHD website (pressie from my wife)- its almost comically wide at the shoulders and tapers down to normal size at the feet- its ace! I like to sleep with the bag scrunched up around my neck, but when I want to turn over I don't take the bag with me. Compromise a bit of heat retention for comfort. It also allows me to wear a down jacket inside in order to increase the temperature range it covers.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
As already said, the mummy bags perform better in cold weather. I've started using extra large rectangular bags recently because, i dont know why and this is a bit embarrassing but ive found myself starting to suffer from claustrophobia and have been waking up in the middle of the night with panic attacks trying to rip my way out of the mummy bag. I have to sleep with a dim light on in the tent and have plenty of room in my bag. Its horrible and never happened in the last 30 years......must be an age thing i suppose.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I was lucky enough to get the chance to design my own bag on the PHD website (pressie from my wife)- its almost comically wide at the shoulders and tapers down to normal size at the feet- its ace! I like to sleep with the bag scrunched up around my neck, but when I want to turn over I don't take the bag with me. Compromise a bit of heat retention for comfort. It also allows me to wear a down jacket inside in order to increase the temperature range it covers.

A very good point which I forgot to make, scrunching up...

As already said, the mummy bags perform better in cold weather. I've started using extra large rectangular bags recently because, i dont know why and this is a bit embarrassing but ive found myself starting to suffer from claustrophobia and have been waking up in the middle of the night with panic attacks trying to rip my way out of the mummy bag. I have to sleep with a dim light on in the tent and have plenty of room in my bag. Its horrible and never happened in the last 30 years......must be an age thing i suppose.

I'm with you there - me too!

Liam

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've always used down mummy bags when backpacking, but hollowfill quilt in the van. From what I have seen, there is more choice in top-end mummy bags than rectangular bags.
We use a light quilt, but always have our down muumy bags with us in our packs even in the van. We've needed them and the quilt at times in the mountains.
If I had to pick just one I'd go for my down filled Rab bag every time- got to justify the cost of it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE