Back to the source - Historical European Martial Arts documentary

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'll admit that I have only skipped through this but I thought it looked interesting and I think some folks here might enjoy it.

If you have a spare one and a half hours check it out, I will at some point. :)

[video=youtube;mmTi-NGQNh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmTi-NGQNh8[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Will have a watch of that when I get to town later in the week. Some of the old pictorial treatese on various martial forms are lovely things, have enjoyed going through them in the past. Shame that so much of it has been lost.
I wonder if we'll ever find one for the ancient Yorkshire art of Ecky Thump! though? (I have my battle black pudding waiting in the fridge. :D )
Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I wonder if we'll ever find one for the ancient Yorkshire art of Ecky Thump! though? (I have my battle black pudding waiting in the fridge. :D )

Black pudding goes very well with whiskey, or so Im told. You know whiskey? The stuff distilled from wheat that was invented in IRELAND? Ha!

Touche! :swordfigh

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I thought it was the Welsh laying claim to it at the moment. Like the earliest mention of haggis was from.ancient Greece.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ah theirs are transversely symetical in the leg department whereas ours are lateraly so. As you say mountain shape is all. They can also bait their traps with houmous whereas we've to use spurtle stirred oats in ours.
They are closely related though.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Do the welsh also have an egg which they cover in some strange meat, and breadcrumbs, then claim it as their own?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Do the welsh also have an egg which they cover in some strange meat, and breadcrumbs, then claim it as their own?

Don't see how anyone can claim to have invented them........they're just roasted pig eggs arent they?

I'll watch that vid at some point too, very interesting

greencloud

Forager
Oct 10, 2015
Newcastle
Here in Newcastle, the ancient arts of "chin yee" and "spaak y'oot" are very much alive and in practice. The war cry of "woya luk natman" can regularly be heard in and around ye olde mead halls.

;)

Oh and we invented black pudding - as a civilised way to consume the blood and flesh of defeated foes...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry Sandbender,
I maybe shouldn't have mentioned Eky Thump. I assume the vid was a serious one.
Many martial moves may have dissapeared to the point that how some of the weaponry was used is under debate. Though after attending the annual Scotland/Ireland Shinty/Hurling you got a very good idea of what early combat was like in the "Celtic" lands.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...you got a very good idea of what early combat was like in the "Celtic" lands..."

Indeed, six years of Saturday morning rugby in all weathers provided much the same insight to me.

Speaking of 'Celtic' combat, a 'political adviser' over here was explaining to the Hungarian people that women make for very poor leaders, especially in times of war.

It took me all of ten seconds to rattle off more incredibly successful female war leaders than I have fingers of both hands, Catherine of Aragon being one, who's army smashed the hitherto well regarded Scottish forces at Flodden.

That being said, I think the fact that James IV had obviously cancelled his monthly subscription to 'Modern Weapons & Tactics' probably didn't help.

:)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Sorry Sandbender,
I maybe shouldn't have mentioned Eky Thump. I assume the vid was a serious one.
Many martial moves may have dissapeared to the point that how some of the weaponry was used is under debate. Though after attending the annual Scotland/Ireland Shinty/Hurling you got a very good idea of what early combat was like in the "Celtic" lands.

In Yorkshire entire chariot burials have been found. The parisi tribe, presumably linked to the same who occupied modern day Paris in East Yorkshire, look up the Kirkburn Sword

And their powerful celtic Yorkshire neighbours, the Brigantes. Which translated as 'Hill Dwellers'

"Yorkshire, particularly the East Riding, was subjected to very heavy Scandinavian settlement which may partly account for the paucity of Celtic names" (Faull, 1977: 15)

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
We have a small group that follows Fiore and the like combat methods with swords, daggers and bare hands. As some of us are also interested in prehistory we have been exploring technigues that might have been used with bronze weapons, starting with "Wessex" knives. Topics to be explored are whether the dirks and rapiers of the Bronze Age were outmoded by the leaf shaped bronze swords. It is interesting that we are developing into two schools in the group, repeating the old controversy between cut and thrust. Assuming you can avoid being cut in half by a hand and half (edited 'cos it won't let me say ba....d) sword I find the rapier is more deadly and more economical of effort.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Assuming you can avoid being cut in half by a hand and half (edited 'cos it won't let me say ba....d) sword I find the rapier is more deadly and more economical of effort..."

My place in Scotland has a surprisingly large paddock attached and we once had a 'sword and sausages' event where some friends who enjoyed the whole duelling/reenactment thing came to stay for a weekend, there were a few folks there with hand and a half swords, a few terrifyingly impressive fights took place.

affray_2.jpg

brawl_3.jpg

fighters_5.jpg

m%25C3%25AAl%25C3%25A9e_3.jpg

I'm with boatman here, if I was going to choose a sword to actually fight with, it would be a rapier.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm with boatman here, if I was going to choose a sword to actually fight with, it would be a rapier.

A solid shield and a sword or short spear I can thrust with for me.

There is a reason why that combination was used by army after army after army, over thousands of years.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
On your own maybe, shields better en masse, perhaps a smaller light one would be better. I want a main gauche in that case :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE