Axe making with DB in the woods (very picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
A week ago I was looking to buy an axe when Dave Budd posted up that he had one space available on his axe making course the following weekend. It had never occurred to me that I could make my own axe and reading Dave's post led me to his website. I was sold on the idea immediately, but needed to check with my other half in the morning. The fact that it was Father's Day over the weekend helped sell the idea of me disappearing for the weekend to play in the woods. Thankfully the spot on the course was still available when I contacted Dave and he sent me detailed instructions on how to get there, what I would need to bring and he very kindly let me stay in the woods for the duration of the course.

So now all that was needed was to plan my kit for a couple of days in the woods, and true to form I packed pretty much two of everything. For reasons that seemed to puzzle Dave and the other gents on the course, I brought enough food to feed me for over a week. Less puzzling was a couple of bottles of spirits :) I did get the last minute jitters as this was my first time out with a hammock and tarp, so I created a thread, got some great replies and a couple of PMs of encouragement.

Due to the distance between where I live and Dave's woods (250ish miles) I asked Dave if I could arrive the night before the course began so I wasn't arriving tired on the first day, and as I said, Dave kindly agreed and confirmed I'd received the instructions via email. Now these instructions. Those who have been to Dave's woods will know that it isn't just a case of driving to the gate and walking in. Part of the adventure was going to be getting from where the cars are parked into the wood but Dave's instructions are extremely detailed and there is little or nothing left out. I can only imagine Dave's surprise when I PM'd him to ask if I could have his contact telephone number in case there were any issues with the journey down, as I soon realised that not only did Dave include them with the email he sent me, but the number was also readily available on the internet and, you guessed it, in the instructions that I was sure I'd read in full. :rolleyes:

Three paragraphs and I've not even got in the car yet, so I'll speed things along a little!

The journey should have taken around 4 hours, but unfortunately I had Birmingham and Bristol to contend with and it turned into a 7 and a half hour journey with many cigarettes smoked and much swearing at the sun for overheating my iPhone. The latter was my own fault as I'd stuck it to the windscreen in direct sunlight, but I needed something to swear at and that seemed the least likely to fight back. So journey traveled, I parked up, removed my kit from the car and texted Dave to tell him I'd arrived and I would be in the woods shortly. I hauled my kit on (breaking my carabiner mug from Aldi immediately) and started the walk up and down hill, through the gate, over the field and up to Dave's workshop in the woods. I've made that sound very easy, but the truth of the matter was that after 200 yards, I realised I'd taken far too much gear and I really need to cut down the smoking. I couldn't breathe, I felt dizzy and I must have stopped and started 20 times by the time I got to Dave's workshop. Anyway, I was there! Yay! Well, almost. I texted Dave again and he rang me, telling me he was at the campfire... "Follow the path 200 yards and you're there" he said, so I replied that I would need to catch my breathe and I'd be right over. Half and hour later I collapsed in a heap in front of Dave, telling him between breathes that I would introduce myself properly when I'd stopped dying. I think Dave may have found it quite amusing and in fairness, it was. A fat lump of a bloke who is totally unfit attempting to carry supplies that would have fed, watered and clothed a team of ten, wheezing and coughing whilst on his knees in front of his tutor for the weekend... what could anyone do but laugh at a sight like that?! :)

IMG_0468_1.jpg

Said campfire

Once I was making some sense, Dave showed me around the woods and I made an audible yelp of joy when I found there was a compost toilet. No squatting in the woods after digging a hole... nope, a proper bog! :)

I quickly found an area that had trees about the right distance apart and dropped my kit ready to unpack.

IMG_0469.jpg

My home for the weekend.

My hammock is a DD Frontline and the tarp, again a DD, 3x3. I was pretty shocked how quickly I got the hammock up and with a little adjusting it was good to go. Thanks to the advice I got on the tarp, that was up in no time as well. Dave pointed out I would be quite cold without something more substantial than the blanket I'd brought to line the inside of the hammock, so he lent me 2 foam pads for the weekend that fit perfectly.

IMG_0470.jpg

Hammock and tarp all setup.

After I'd set up, I went back over to the campfire for a well earned drink. By the time I reached my hammock (remembering this is my first time in one) I was perhaps a little unstable on my feet which made for an interesting entry method to my hammock. Once in the hammock though I was warm and comfortable, but I couldn't work out whether it was my head swaying or the hammock. The following morning I made a bit of breakfast on a portable stove, then headed down to the forges to make an axe.

IMG_0473.jpg

Bit of breakfast.

I'm not going to describe the axe making process for two reasons. Firstly I will probably get things out of order and mixed up, which isn't helpful and secondly, it's like giving a spoiler... what I will do though is pop up some pictures, finishing off with all the axes made on the course, and the final picture being my new splitting axe (which I'm really rather proud of).

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, the gents on the course where fantastic and Dave, well he's brilliant. Patient but straight talking and an excellent tutor. Anyone who was on the course will no doubt be able to explain why I've always had a fried breakfast as an avatar, but don't believe any stories involving nooses being lost, copious amounts of alcohol being drunk or anything to do with horses. :)

Can't thank Dave enough for the experience and as I was told before I went on the course, if you get the opportunity to do it... just do it... it's brilliant!

Oh, one last picture... my view at this time yesterday...

IMG_0505.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE